Have any of you dealt with body dysmorphia in your life?

Options
GlorianasTears
GlorianasTears Posts: 212 Member
edited January 2018 in Challenges
How did you overcome dealing with having problems? And if you are still struggling what things do you do to help your self image?

I personally struggled with it severely in my teenage years i did not like to be seen cause i felt like my body was horrible and if someone noticed my flaws i could not cope. Now as an adult i am in a much better place and that is why i felt comfortable starting my health journey last year i feel that i finally have a decent relationship with my body :) i can even wear clothes that show my arms and stuff even though i still have my problem areas i dont let them keep me from enjoying life !

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go as far as saying I actually have BDD. I think there's a difference between having a disorder, and having disordered feelings or habits when it comes to your body or relationship with food.

I struggle. Some days I feel better than others. On the days I feel well and it isn't because the scale is reflecting a low weight or my jeans fit, it's because I feel strong. So I think having performance goals helps me.

I read a bit on self-compassion. I have come to find that I might enjoy being hard on myself. Even the words "self compassion" make me go "yuck". But at least I'm trying.
  • GlorianasTears
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go as far as saying I actually have BDD. I think there's a difference between having a disorder, and having disordered feelings or habits when it comes to your body or relationship with food.

I struggle. Some days I feel better than others. On the days I feel well and it isn't because the scale is reflecting a low weight or my jeans fit, it's because I feel strong. So I think having performance goals helps me.

I read a bit on self-compassion. I have come to find that I might enjoy being hard on myself. Even the words "self compassion" make me go "yuck". But at least I'm trying.

The self compassion is a good mindset i never even thought about that myself but im guessing if you are compassionate towards yourself then you will stop beating yourself down when you think you arent up to par.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

The self compassion is a good mindset i never even thought about that myself but im guessing if you are compassionate towards yourself then you will stop beating yourself down when you think you arent up to par.

Yes. Sure.
  • jessiemax76
    jessiemax76 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Some days are better than others. These issues are there regardless of weight. It isn't something many people understand. I guess you just have to try and cope the best you can.
  • George8383
    George8383 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Always have and always will getting worse as I get older so much media pressure to look at certain way and to be a certain size.
  • Breezer628
    Breezer628 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    How did you start to overcome this? I have confidence in all parts of my life except how I look.
  • GlorianasTears
    Options
    Breezer628 wrote: »
    How did you start to overcome this? I have confidence in all parts of my life except how I look.

Hmm well i used to wear jackets all year round everyday no matter what whether it was 100 degrees outside or not since i was so terrified of people noticing my body. I got clothes that fit on me a little loosely but they were still fashionable and i took a chance and took off my jacket for a little while . And eventually with time i noticed that it felt good to not be smothered in clothes and no one was talking bad about me. As i got older i embraced fashion even more so i think what helped me was slowly doing things that made me uncomfortable and not listening to my family who daily told me i was chubby or at least not taking them seriously.

Looking at your profile picture you look very beautiful and im not saying thzt just to flatter u you should just try being more confident do things concerning your appearance that might make you a little uncomfortable it can even be something as simple as getting your eyelashes done or wearing a dress you would usually avoid that flatters you. Appreciate what you have dont compare it to other people and dont dwell on the "flaws" or obsess over them .
  • GlorianasTears
    Options
    George8383 wrote: »
    Always have and always will getting worse as I get older so much media pressure to look at certain way and to be a certain size.

True thats why i stopped getting on instagram for a season in my life it wasnt good for me mentally. Now im at a place where i dont covet what others have besides getting a little salty when i see couples since im single lol. But really if something is bothering you step away from it for a while makes a huge difference
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Weirdly, in phases. I think it's probably hormonally linked in my case, because some days I'll be fine and confident, and others I hate everything about me, especially when I'm tired. When I realized that it wasn't a normal to look fine for a week, and suddenly become ugly again, I started working on reminding myself that I have not changed that much in a few days ( or weeks), and if I looked fine then, I still look fine now. I call them fat days, basically like a bad hair day, but reminding myself (over and over) that it is all in my head. As in "Shut up Brain! You are just having a fat day, you looked fine two days ago, and you gave not gained 30lbs in that time. Get over it." I may not feel better at that moment, but it helps me "fake it till I make it" lol, and it passes again.
  • jessiemax76
    jessiemax76 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Body dysmorphia is far more than just feeling a bit unconfident one day or having a fat day.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have had BDD tied on with other mental illness.
    I was particularly problematic when breastfeeding for 4 years I was only able to feed from one breast. This led to actual (while I was engorged with milk) and extended perception of breast asymmetry due to the dysmorphia

I wore prosthetics on the ‘small’ side and wore a bra at all times during the 4 years I was feeding ... and when I had finished breastfeeding I had a consult with a plastic surgeon who was happy to cut me open and ‘correct’ my issues for $10,000 that I couldn’t afford.

I thought my life was over when I couldn’t have the surgery.

Some time later I became involved in a women’s sport with a strong emphasis on embracing what your body could do not what it looked like.

That was a turning point. After a while I wore just one ‘chicken fillet’ not two on the small side. Then a smaller amount of padding. Then nothing.

To some degree, my breasts settled. They’re still not perfect. They’re pretty great though,

I’m glad I didn’t have the money at the time for the surgeon to ‘fix’ me, as it wasn’t really my breasts that needed fixing.

Managing weight, food, exercise with BDDcan be grim.

For myself it was appreciating the strength of my body that was a catalyst for getting better.

It’s nice not to spend every waking moment obsessing over how revolting I percieved part of my body to be.

It’s sensible to get some proper therapy around this. Good luck. I hope you feel amazing about yourself xxx