Meal Prep

Options
What are some good things to meal prep for a beginner and for someone who has a huge problem with portion control?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Food you like, weighed and portioned to your specific needs.
  • josephsjourney17
    josephsjourney17 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How Can I find out how much I need to weigh and prep?
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Look up recipes, see if you find something you like. Weigh all your ingredients as you make it, and then weigh your portions, recipes will tell you how many servings it makes.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are some good things to meal prep for a beginner and for someone who has a huge problem with portion control?

Whatever you like to eat.

Decide what an adequate portion is when you build the recipe.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How Can I find out how much I need to weigh and prep?
    You've alredy set up MFP with your goals (weight gain, mantenance or weight loss), right? Use your food diary, log the food you want to eat, adjust amounts so that you hit your total for the day. If you want to prep for several days, make bigger batches and split them.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    1) split your calories into three meals (and snacks if you like)

2) come up with a few options for each meal that fit your macros

3) cook and pack them

4) eat

I do all my weekly meal planning, prep and cooking for my breakfast and lunch on Sundays. I have a plan and shopping done for suppers. By the time I go shopping, I have Pre-logged my entire week.

I do my best to stick to the plan, but adjust accordingly as needed. Having food prepared, logged and ready has made this a gazillion times easier for me. Now, it’s just a habit.
  • mic1018
    mic1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Here is a simple meal prep idea that I use for breakfast. Thaw a large bag of frozen California Blend veggies (Broccoli/Cauliflower/Carrots) and let drain slightly. Saute these veggies in a bit of butter in a large skillet. When they are hot , add a handful of fresh greens (Kale/Spinach/whatever you like). Continue to saute for a minute or so, then add 10 beaten eggs and scramble everything together until the eggs are done. Season with whatever spices you like...salt & pepper, Italian seasoning, etc. Divide into 5 containers. Each morning, microwave one container for 1-2 minutes. You can add a bit of cheese on top before microwaving if you like. After microwaving, I add Sriracha and extra black pepper to mine. Nice and filling with lots of flavor.1mgzuv9z111d.jpg
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I like to cheat on my meal prep using my grocery store’s salad bar. It has a variety of raw and cooked veggies, legumes, proteins, condiments—all sorts of stuff. I get a few small containers each time I go and fill them with a base of greens, plus an assortment of tablespoons-full of random things I wouldn’t necessarily buy or cook full portions of. My salads usually come in somewhere between 90-150 calories, and I like to eat them as healthy snacks or pair them with a main protein to make a meal. Huge time-saver!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I kept it simple at the beginning. Boiled eggs, crisp bread, and fruit for breakfast. Lunch was seed crackers, laughing cow cheese, tuna packet or cold cuts us a veggie and fruit. Snack was greek yogurt and fiber one cereal. All prepped and portioned for the work week.