Cooking? Enjoy it or hate it?

Options
I'm curious how many of you like cooking your meals? How many of you hate/dislike it?

Personally, I really enjoying cooking and finding ways to make my meals tasty and healthy. There's nothing more fun than when I'm excited to eat or look forward to my meals.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    This may be a self-limiting thread. :lol:

If people don't like it I'm guessing they won't want to talk about it either.

I like cooking. I don't love it, I live alone so I am a little limited and I keep it simple and easy. 30 minutes or less for most of my meals.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I like cooking, but I hate cleaning up...so when I was in a relationship, I cooked every day and let him do the dishes! Now I'm single and I enjoy cooking and researching meals, but I also minimize cleanup and strategize with leftovers.

At the moment I'm recovering from an ankle injury, so I'm not really even cooking. Just chopping and opening cans and microwaving. Yesterday I boiled some pasta which was the most cooking I've done since Friday (I still have all the ingredients for the lasagna I planned to make sitting in the fridge.) Anything simple that I can do sitting with my ankle elevated. I'm even getting my groceries delivered!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I enjoy cooking
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I love it. It's a huge stress reliever for me. Except when my kids are hanging off me while I'm trying to do it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I love cooking! I used to love/hate cooking, but now I'm more confident I'm making healthy choices overall, and everything is delicious after my tastebuds came to life (last time I really messed up was 18 months ago, I think), so it's just fun and relaxing and exciting and grounding and empowering. I feel I've finally found something I master; at the same time I'm a bit embarrassed because I make such simple meals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Love it...one of my hobbies.
  • suzihbe
    suzihbe Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I dislike cooking. A lot of it is I don't have time for it; I work full time, I'm a full time student and I spend on average 1.5 hours commuting each day. It is a huge time suck for me and I am not good at it. I rarely cook things that turn out as intended. I stick to very basic things and eat a lot of the same foods, which for right now works for me. Also, my husband cooks for a living and that is a huge help.

On the other hand I adore baking, but I can also whip something together and get it in the oven and walk away. Baking is a stress reliever to me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love cooking, but am not always in the mood for it when I've worked a long day and am tired. Usually I do find it relaxing when I do it anyway, though, and I can usually find a way to get excited about it again. I do try to have leftovers on hand, though, for a particularly time-crunched day.

Mostly I cook simple stuff, and realizing I could just figure out what seemed tasty from what was on hand, and that simple was fine, no recipes needed, was really the turning point in me finding it like work and something I did not understand or enjoy and me enjoying it -- happened when I decided to learn to cook in my late 20s. I occasionally do more complex stuff, but for everyday sorts of things mostly not.

I find reading cookbooks fun and inspiring, though, although I hate following recipes (which is why the fact I've mostly given up baking is no hardship, although lately I've been thinking that it might be fun to bake bread again, and I do occasionally make a pizza crust).
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I like cooking. I find a little chopping and sauteing relaxing after a long, deadline-driven day; I generally leave more time-intensive cooking projects, like making a soup or casserole, for the weekends.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I adore cooking. I was going to become a chef, but realised the toxic environment of commercial kitchens would soon burn that love out of me, so now it's a hobby. Doesn't mean that some nights i just don't feel like it though.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I love to cook and am good at it, but approach each meal in a sort of overall perfect storm of speed, taste and ease of clean-up. If it takes more than 30 minutes, it's a holiday affair only. All hail the Instant Pot, for putting more foods in my weeknight dinner rotation.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy cooking and puttering around in the kitchen. But I get tired of it too. I work a full-time+ job and some nights opening a can of soup and microwaving a bag of veggies for me and a frozen dinner for hubby (he can't cook) is all I can manage.

I try hard to do prep on the weekends but it doesn't always happen. I haven't been able to use my left arm for several months and have pretty much cleared out the freezer of all the pre-prepped meals. So we're doing the basic stuff right now mostly - protein, starch and veggie.

I'm looking forward to being healed and getting back to playing in the kitchen.
  • Ryansworld84
    Ryansworld84 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Cooking is fine, cleaning is total hell :smiley:
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Cooking is fine, cleaning is total hell :smiley:

Learning to clean as you go changes everything!
  • TWRUNNER32
    TWRUNNER32 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cooking. But i have a tiny, tiny kitchen. My oven is actually a convection oven that doubles as a microwave and i have no dishwasher or disposal lol.

But i keep all my appliances on a metal shelf around the corner and have loads of cabinet space. So i suppose it’s a trade off.
  • Rita7Denise
    Rita7Denise Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I dislike cooking which is made worse by the fact that my DH is terribly fussy over food. Has to be plain. this makes my life difficult to figure out what he will eat. I had made a chicken pot pie, chicken, corn and a crust cover. He asks "what is in this?" says it was so he can figure out how much to take. I think he would have refused to eat it had it had more veggies in it.
  • yasminchy
    yasminchy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I hate cooking but I love baking :D
  • yasminchy
    yasminchy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ZazieMFP wrote: »
    Don't like it. Never had. It's a chore, so I do it, as a duty because I want to eat well, the same way I clean the house or take the garbage out because I want to live in a clean place. If I were rich, I would hire a cook / caterer service, first thing.

Amen! :D
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Love it, but only once a week.