Calling All Vets, Lol Ok... I gotta get some calorie clarity...

Options
GoalGal50
GoalGal50 Posts: 90 Member
edited January 2018 in Getting Started
Hi,
So I’m on my second MFP tour and I need clarity about the calories. When I started on Jan. 25th, it has me at 800 calories. Then, three days later it switched me to 1800, which I think is way too much food. My goal is 50 pounds at 2 pounds a week, active lifestyle 75 min cardio 5xs a week.

My question is should I stay at my 800 calorie regimen? How am I going to create a deficit with 1800 calories a day? I don’t eat that much, lol... please help me...

BTW, Net calories? Bank calories - where is the app keeping count of those? Lol, just need a little clarity to get started on the right foot.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If MFP gave you 800 calories, and you didn't set it to 800, it's a glitch.

1800 calories isn't that much food. You'll lose fine on 1800 real calories. If you're 50 pounds overweight, you're maintaining on around 2500, maybe. 2500 isn't that much, either. Very easy to eat. But it's more than you need to maintain a healthy weight.

Forget about carbs for now, and about net carbs forever.
  • GoalGal50
    Options
    Thanks son much!! I did mean to say Bank and net Calories... I read others talking about them, but I’m clueless... Does the app keep track your calorie deficit? If so, where? Initially, I thought that the 1800 was making up for the calories I had left over during the week, but I guess not.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Oh - you mean net calories like when you log and eat back exercise calories? I'm not too familiar with that, sorry. I don't exercise enough to bother with it, to be honest. Banking calories is when you save up calories, for instance through the week, to "spend" on more food in the weekend. As long as your average daily intake over a week is around 1800, you're doing fine.

I'm not sure if you can say that MFP keeps track of your deficit, it gives you a target to hit that creates a deficit. If 1800 is the target MFP gave you, that's what you're supposed to eat daily. MFP keeps track of your weight, and your weight loss is a function of your deficit (3500 calories equals one pound of fatty tissue).
  • reganlbramblett
    reganlbramblett Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    800 calories isn't enough food, even for those looking to lose 2 pounds a week. Without knowing your stats it's hard to tell what a good number would be for you. 1800 is what I am at right now, and I'm losing. I'm 5'5, 155, and exercise 5 times per week. As the person above said, 800 calories has to be a glitch. :)
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    MFP won't let you go under the 1000's, very low calorie is against policy. The 800 was probably a glitch, and it meant 1800.
    As for not eating much, how are you currently keeping track of calories? Are you're weighing with a scale? That gives you a much moreaccurate count of how much food you are actually eating. It is usually easier to weigh and log everything first for several days, then you can go back and see places where it is easier to shave off unnecessary calories. For example, no cheese or less mayo on drive through, maybe don't get fries and see if that leaves you satisfied. Change TV chips to air popped popcorn, or better yet, crochet, cut your dinner pasta in half or eat only 1 roll instead of 2...
  • GoalGal50
    Options
    Lol, thank you so much!! So it’s nothing I’m missing... from reading the posts I thought the “banked calories” was some some particular place.

Thank You...
  • GoalGal50
    Options
    How to respond specifically to peoples post? I don’t see where to respond...Thanks Momsepro
    Oh, great to know it was a glitch, but for 3 days I wasn’t even eating that, lol. I had leftover calories all three days.

Lol, I’d better go eat something because I haven’t eaten yet!! Now I got more calories from my 75 min cardio workout.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    GoalGal50 wrote: »
    How to respond specifically to peoples post? I don’t see where to respond...Thanks Momsepro
    Oh, great to know it was a glitch, but for 3 days I wasn’t even eating that, lol. I had leftover calories all three days.

Lol, I’d better go eat something because I haven’t eaten yet!! Now I got more calories from my 75 min cardio workout.
    Click the Quote link under the post you want to respond to.

Now enjoy your breakfast/lunch/whatever :)

• MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you go into the reports in your diary, you can change to the weekly report instead of the daily report. Then it will show you your net over/under for the week. That might be where people are seeing their "banked" calories. :)
  • pamfin
    pamfin Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    ... or better yet, crochet.

Love this! I'm either knitting or crocheting in the evenings because it keeps my hands busy and I can't snack without making my needles/hook sticky. :smiley:
  • GoalGal50
    Options
    Thanks MamaC3... will do!