Staying on track during the weekend

Options
How do you guys do it? I just can't get there right now.

Replies

• h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    hardest part of week for me ..... especially when you have a family that wants to kick back and enjoy treats at the weekend.

When you consider the calories in a dessert, a glass of wine, a bit of cake then giving yourself more than one treat can put you over the limit for the day. Especially if you are nearing the end of your weightloss and dont have many calories to play with in the 1st place.

this is my biggest challenge at the moment. !

What I am doing is :-

(1) Banking calories, I eat under 5 days a week so I can eat over at the weekend
    (2) I do more at the weekend, double the length of my workouts, try to get out and exercise throughout the day more
    (3) Join in with family meals, but miss out some of the ingredients so you can eat something else later ... ie have the burger at lunch but NOT the fries, and the saving of 250kcal can be used later on for a bit of cake and a coffee
    (4) Pre-log your food so you know how many spare calories you have to play with throughout the day for snacking

EDITED to say .... I have only been doing this for 3 weekends since logging calories on MFP .... prior to this I wasnt logging and my weekends were TOTALLY wiping out any progress through the week.

the above has worked for 2 weekends ..... so I cant guarantee that next weekend all the above will go out the window and I'll cave in as temptation rips my soul out !
  • bekah818
    bekah818 Posts: 179 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The weekend has been my biggest problem in the past as well. You're strong Monday thru Friday exercising and dieting right, but something happens between Saturday and Sunday where you fall off the wagon, having to press the reset button on Monday. The answer that I find that works for me is, the same way we plan our meals for the weekday is the same way you have to plan for the weekend. The day before your weekend starts, figure out what you plan to eat on Saturday and Sunday in advance and you are most likely to stick to it. Also if you plan to exercise, plan a time in advance to work out and stick to it. All in all, what I'm trying to say is, it's much easier to stick to your diet and fitness regimen when you plan.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    hardest part of week for me ..... especially when you have a family that wants to kick back and enjoy treats at the weekend.

When you consider the calories in a dessert, a glass of wine, a bit of cake then giving yourself more than one treat can put you over the limit for the day. Especially if you are nearing the end of your weightloss and dont have many calories to play with in the 1st place.

this is my biggest challenge at the moment. !

What I am doing is :-

(1) Banking calories, I eat under 5 days a week so I can eat over at the weekend
    (2) I do more at the weekend, double the length of my workouts, try to get out and exercise throughout the day more
    (3) Join in with family meals, but miss out some of the ingredients so you can eat something else later ... ie have the burger at lunch but NOT the fries, and the saving of 250kcal can be used later on for a bit of cake and a coffee
    (4) Pre-log your food so you know how many spare calories you have to play with throughout the day for snacking

EDITED to say .... I have only been doing this for 3 weekends since logging calories on MFP .... prior to this I wasnt logging and my weekends were TOTALLY wiping out any progress through the week.

the above has worked for 2 weekends ..... so I cant guarantee that next weekend all the above will go out the window and I'll cave in as temptation rips my soul out !

^^^This. And if you have trouble with banking calories (i.e., keeping track of the maths is difficult), set yourself a more aggressive weight loss goal during the week (1-2 pounds per week during the week) and a less aggressive goal (.5 pounds or even maintenance) on weekends. 5 days of weight loss will trump 2 days of maintenance, and hopefully make sticking to your program easier, although your results will be slower.
  • soinbnsng
    soinbnsng Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I agree with the banking calories idea. Even if you under eat by 100 calories M-F that gives you an extra 500 for the weekend. The easiest thing for me has been to have a decent size protein packed breakfast on the weekend around 11am and then I am full until around dinner time. Might have a fruit or granola bar in between but I save around 1,000 calories the day I know I am going out on the weekend. Plus the 500 that I banked. That 1,500 to blow in one meal. More than enough.