Advice for plateaus

Options
JasonJoyHedenskog
JasonJoyHedenskog Posts: 143 Member
edited January 2018 in Motivation and Support
Starting my weight loss journey in December, I was logging every meal. Sticking with 1200 calories or a little more according to how much I should be eating based on my height and weight. By the 1st of January I was doing so well and lost 9 lbs. but the past few weeks have been a struggle for me to stay on track. I have snacked more than I should, and not logged my meals because on certain days have thought... oh I have already messed up today so what’s the use.
I didn’t step on the scale for a few days, but it when I did, realized I had gained back a couple pounds! So I’m trying to get my head right and get back on track...Any advice or tips for staying motivated, and tips for not giving in to cravings and mindless eating? Thanks!

Replies

• JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, you can't count it as a plateau unless you are sticking strictly to your deficit and still not losing weight for 3+ weeks. One suggestion I would have is pre-logging meals, including snacks. I find it easier to not mindlessly snack when I've already entered all (or at least most) of my food for the day and used up my calories that way. Also, always weigh your snacks before eating them, NEVER eat out of the bag or box.

On the days that you "mess up" and don't want to keep tracking, try switching your goal over to losing only .5 pounds/week or even maintenance. It keeps you accountable without those discouraging red numbers. I find that on my bad days when I don't want to commit to my deficit, I at least don't want to gain, and that helps me rein myself in. I did that this weekend when I went to Mall of America, and was able to snack all day without going over my maintenance. I didn't lose that day, but I also didn't gain :)
  • JasonJoyHedenskog
    JasonJoyHedenskog Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • chrsmina
    chrsmina Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Don’t think of it as a plateau, think of it as a step
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    Options
    Here's a great read:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10155495/just-another-plateau-and-weigh-in-thread

tl:dr Weight loss isn't linear and there are a lot of reasons for water weight to shift. Time of month for women, sleep, salt, carbs up or down, new exercise, illness, inflammation (injury or sun), stress.

Hang on.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    Keep the numbers in mind, give your heart to tracking.

Messed up? No day that you track is completely messed up. Abandon tracking in the face of a mistake- you’ve wasted a day. Track your mistakes- it’s a lesson.

It’s not possible to do weight loss without mistakes. Bad plans, loss of concentration at critical moments, fatigue, bad math. There’s no human undertaking that’s mistake free.

But there’s only one way not to track- quit. Forget? Go back and fill in best you can. Get in one of those places where you just don’t know how to do the calculations? Do your best to put a good faith number on things, record it and keep moving. The process is more important than the numbers.

Start right now. Rethink your approach. From now on weight loss is a set of things to do. #1 is track, log, journal, diary, whatever you want to call it. When tracking drives the process you are always in control.

Last- in a different vein- is your program too aggressive? 1200 is the bottom end and 9lbs in one month is substantial. Did you go off because you can’t live with it? A good plan is one you actually follow. Good luck.
  • colingrace08
    colingrace08 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Don't try and get so hung up on the numbers. Take it day by day. There are times I will weigh 157 the next 161 and there's no way I gained that amount of body fat in a day. It all depends on what you eat that can effect things like water weight etc. Just remember you are only 1 meal away from being back on track. Try changing the foods you eat and also stress will slow progress.