Doing enough?

Options
Knowing most of you are younger, I am in my early 50's. But I am trying to lose weight and get in shape. With work (8am - 5pm) and other commitments I do have restricted time. But I exercise roughly 60 minutes a day (6 days a weeks) 25 mins of cardio, then 35 minutes of strength training. Diabetes also runs in my family and I have been diagnosed as pre-diabteic so I have restricted my carbs an increased my protein.

I am 6'3/215 and want to get below 200LBs. I just don't seem to be moving at all on my weight and I have been at this for months. My calories are usually around 2000 per day.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Jayco141 wrote: »

I am 6'3/215 and want to get below 200LBs. I just don't seem to be moving at all on my weight and I have been at this for months. My calories are usually around 2000 per day.

do you weigh your food?
  • Jayco141
    Jayco141 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

do you weigh your food?

I do not weigh my food, I do check calorie levels consistently
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options
    Well, your food page is not available for us to view. Maybe open it up and we can help.

It's about accurate tracking and staying close to your goals. How long have you been logging food?
  • Jayco141
    Options
    Not true, I know exactly what I am eating. I have been using this App on and off for years. I try and log but don't get to it every day.
  • Jayco141
    Options
    I opened my log
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

do you weigh your food?

I do not weigh my food, I do check calorie levels consistently

Without weighing your food how do you know how much you're eating. People consistently underestimate their consumption when just eyeballing the portion sizes (if you're relying on the packaging info closely check what they list as a portion size......it can be deceptive in some cases) At your height and weight you would be losing weight at 2,000 cal a day.

Sounds like you've got your time managed pretty well if you're consistently getting your workouts in. I can tell you from personal experience (I'm in my 60s) that as we age it seems to take twice the work to get half of the fitness improvements it did when we were younger....more reason to keep at it!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I opened my log

which is empty....
  • Jayco141
    Options
    Probably true as I have not been on for a week basically
    But prior to that it should be noted.

When logging I always trend high on the caloric/serving sizes. If it says a 4 oz portion of chicken breast is 200 calories i will usually put in 6 ounces or 2 servings. I don't underestimate my amounts, I overestimate my amounts always. Bottom line is I have been doing the a long time and though my log may not be as full as usual, I do know what I am eating and the calories I am consuming. My point/question was, am I working out enough to help my metabolism which is slow as hell !
    I opened my log

which is empty....
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to weigh your food long-term that's totally fine, but you'd be well served to buy a scale (they're maybe $20 on Amazon) and weight everything for at least a week or two. Then you can be sure you're eating around what you think you're eating. Some calorie-dense foods in particular can be extremely hard to estimate - I'm thinking nuts, granola, mayo, peanut butter, dried fruits, and so on. An hour of exercise a day at 2000 calories at your current weight should be plenty for you to lose weight. If it's been months and you've done this before, you know how it works - you can try working out more, but chances are it'll be easier to eat less.

Another thought too - the last time you lost weight, were you more active during the day? Exercise is all well and good, but moving during the day can really make a big difference. Most of the "lowered metabolism" effect people see as they age is actually lowered daily activity.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My point/question was, am I working out enough to help my metabolism which is slow as hell !

How have you determined that your metabolism is "slow as hell"? Have you been tested?

At your height & weight (I plugged in age 55 as a guess) your BMR , in the absence of a metabolic disorder, is just shy of 2,000 cal per day and that's what you need to maintain basic bodily functions while remaining completely sedentary.

What type of strength training are you doing? Are you giving yourself enough time to recover between sessions? The only surefire way to boost metabolism is to increase your lean muscle mass but that also requires, especially as we age and testosterone levels drop, a big commitment to heavy lifting, lots of protein and eating at a surplus....muscle takes fuel to build.

The other alternative, assuming you're actually eating 2,000 cal per day and you want to lose fat would be to increase the amount of cardio you're doing. Even vigorous cardio like running for 25 minutes (assuming 6 mph) would be 2.5 miles in 25 minutes would be about 340 cal for your weight and typically cardio burns far more calories in a given amount of time than strength training.

• JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Probably true as I have not been on for a week basically
    But prior to that it should be noted.

When logging I always trend high on the caloric/serving sizes. If it says a 4 oz portion of chicken breast is 200 calories i will usually put in 6 ounces or 2 servings. I don't underestimate my amounts, I overestimate my amounts always. Bottom line is I have been doing the a long time and though my log may not be as full as usual, I do know what I am eating and the calories I am consuming. My point/question was, am I working out enough to help my metabolism which is slow as hell !
    I opened my log

which is empty....

I used to blame my weight on a slow metabolism and not having enough muscle to burn calories at rest. Turns out, the difference between slow metabolisms and fast metabolisms (barring any medical metabolic conditions) is actually really small. Like +/- 100 calories per day small. But my "fast metabolism" friend from high school, who I always compared myself to since we were in the same activities, ate the same foods, were the same height, etc. didn't just have a "fast metabolism," she was a fidgeter who had to frequently be up and moving, while I could sit and watch TV for hours. Maybe her metabolism had her burning 100 calories more than me a day, but her fidgeting and walking around probably had her burning 200-300 more calories than me a day, which is what really made the difference.

You can try to exercise and build more muscle to boost your metabolism, just like you can include more spicy foods into your diet to do the same, or keep your house really cold so your body has to work harder to keep warm, but your best bet is always going to be to lower your calorie intake and include more movement into your everyday life, not just tacking on more dedicated exercise.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is a simple calories in vs calories burned calculation.

If you’re not losing weight at 2000 cals, drop to 1900. An even less scientific version is if you normally have 4 potatoes, change it to 3.

Going on what’s been said so far you also need to be more consistent in your logging, it’s a new habit you need to make.
  • cmriverside
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Knowing most of you are younger, I am in my early 50's. But I am trying to lose weight and get in shape. With work (8am - 5pm) and other commitments I do have restricted time. But I exercise roughly 60 minutes a day (6 days a weeks) 25 mins of cardio, then 35 minutes of strength training. Diabetes also runs in my family and I have been diagnosed as pre-diabteic so I have restricted my carbs an increased my protein.

"Usually" "around"

^^this is the problem.

Well, that and:
    Not true, I know exactly what I am eating. I have been using this App on and off for years. I try and log but don't get to it every day.

Do you know or don't you? You contradict yourself in these three sentences. :lol:

I mean, c'mon. I had to be consistent and had to actually know for a fact what I was eating before I could make ANY meaningful changes. It took a few months of good data.

Run the (actual) experiment. It's what we all had to do. ::shrug::

• HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I have also tracked for a number of years. The first few without a food scale and the last 4+ years with a food scale. I would estimate by comparing the "pre-food scale" years to the "food scale always used" years that I was underestimating my intake before using a food scale by 300 or 400 calories a day. That's an estimate, but I am fairly sure that it's a bigger variable than the +/-100 calories per day difference between fast and slow metabolisms.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I opened my log

So just for kicks and giggles I looked back at your past month's FOOD entries. You logged for about 25% of the past month. The foods you chose were good. Every single day you logged you left between 300 and 1300 calories uneaten and the foods you did log looked like mostly estimates.

It has to be much more accurate than this.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Well, that is an assumption that is not necessarily accurate. I am 66. And I know others that are in their 50 and 60s and some in the 70s and 80s here.

You are doing just fine with exercise. So, if that is what you mean by doing enough, the answer is yes. But exercise doesn't cause weight loss in and of itself. It contributes by burning calories but....

The path to weight loss (fat loss) is calorie out > calories in. That is where your issue lies. You state that you usually get "around" 2000 calories per day but don't weigh and measure. Plain fact of the matter is you are not accurate with your intake and you haven't lost because you are eating more than your burning.

Other have told you this but you continue to push back. But that is the fact of the matter. You are consistently logging and you aren't weighing and measuring. The problem with your lack of loss is easily identifiable. Continue to do what you've done and you'll continue to get what you've gotten.

FTR: I am 5'9", age 66 as I said. I have lost 30lbs overall and 17 since May. The age is not a factor and the exercise certainly helps my fitness but the overarching thing that has helped accomplish this is disciplined tracking of my intake and my calorie burns via a Fitbit and keep my own data as to how accurate it all is. It not easy but it's not really hard either.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,468 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Well, that is an assumption that is not necessarily accurate. I am 66. And I know others that are in their 50 and 60s and some in the 70s and 80s here.

You are doing just fine with exercise. So, if that is what you mean by doing enough, the answer is yes. But exercise doesn't cause weight loss in and of itself. It contributes by burning calories but....

The path to weight loss (fat loss) is calorie out > calories in. That is where your issue lies. You state that you usually get "around" 2000 calories per day but don't weigh and measure. Plain fact of the matter is you are not accurate with your intake and you haven't lost because you are eating more than your burning.

Other have told you this but you continue to push back. But that is the fact of the matter. You are consistently logging and you aren't weighing and measuring. The problem with your lack of loss is easily identifiable. Continue to do what you've done and you'll continue to get what you've gotten.

FTR: I am 5'9", age 66 as I said. I have lost 30lbs overall and 17 since May. The age is not a factor and the exercise certainly helps my fitness but the overarching thing that has helped accomplish this is disciplined tracking of my intake and my calorie burns via a Fitbit and keep my own data as to how accurate it all is. It not easy but it's not really hard either.

And he is so, so, right . . . says this 62-year-old (hypothyroid, even) who lost 50+ pounds in under a year, a couple of years back, via careful food logging, and who has stayed at a healthy weight since, doing the same.