how can a food have more calories than the sum of its ingredients?

3 eggs--210 calories
ham --35 calories
peppers--5 calories
cheese --110 calories
onions --16 calories
total calories 376
Village Inn Denver omelette 840 calories for exactly same ingredients?

Replies

• kelly_stevens81
    kelly_stevens81 Posts: 79 Member
    I wouldn't expect it to be such a large difference but perhaps its cooked in butter, which is common for omelettes.
    Also are they including the sides that come with the omelette such as toast/fruit/hash-browns/pancakes?.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Some restaurants add things to the eggs -- I think IHOP used to add a little pancake batter -- to make them thicker. Does the entry for Village Inn add hashbrowns to the entry (numbers for the whole meal, not just the omelet)?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,175 Member
    edited January 2018
    And the more cheese than you think that they may be using?

And the pancake mix they may be adding (looking at you IHOP)?

And the butter or margarine they use to cook?

Also. Some places include sides (hash browns for example, or two margarined slices of bread). Others do not. Depends on the restaurant and their fine print.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Their omelettes come with a wheat allergy warning which usually indicates that they use pancake batter in the eggs to help make them fluffier. They also may include milk or cream in the eggs and will likely include the oil they cook anything in.

Exactly what I was going to say. It's common for restaurants to add pancake batter to it to make them fluffier.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    They likely use full fat high calorie cheese, loads of real butter and toss in some olive oil if they can get away with it to make it more moist. Even the onions and peppers were probably sauteed in oil first.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,062 Member
    I think I've once ordered an omelet that included some cheese where it was probably only 1 oz of cheese (veggie omelet and the cheese was just sprinkled on top very lightly).

There's probably 3x that much cheese on there, and similar for the ham. And anything else they cook it in/add in. Pretty common to mix butter in with the eggs and other things that can add calories FAST.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Agree with everyone.. it probably looks more like:

3 large eggs - 210 cals
    2 oz chopped ham - 100 cals (that would be trimmed, conservative estimate)
    2 oz shredded cheddar - 110 cals
    2 tbsp sweet cream full fat butter salted - 200 cals
    onions and peppers - 25 cals (guesstimate)
    1 tbsp EVOO (to sautee the onions and peppers) - 120 cals

That's 765, and like I said, I was being conservative. They probably melt more cheese on top, and add other ingredients.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    As others have said, your post doesn't take portion sizes into account. The numbers you provided would make a very small omelet by most restaurant standards. You're likely eating far more ham, cheese, oil, and/or butter than you expect. Restaurants tend to cook with a lot more fat than we do at home!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member

3 large eggs - 210 cals

That's 765, and like I said, I was being conservative. They probably melt more cheese on top, and add other ingredients.

I'd say you could add another 110 calories to the cheddar -- cheddar is usually 110 calories per ounce. So that takes us to 875, which is pretty close to the 840.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,782 Member

3 large eggs - 210 cals

more like 220 cals for 2 oz, bringing the total to 865
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    Yes, there's definitely more than an ounce of cheese on a restaurant omelette!
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    This is why what we make at home with whole, real ingredients will almost always be better for our health and nutrition than restaurants.