Slow Losers (on purpose)

I'm just curious who else is out there who is purposely taking their weight loss journey kind of slowly and are very much okay with it? What are your reasons for wanting to take things more slowly? I'm also interested in hearing success stories from those who did lose slowly and had it add up.

My calorie deficit is set to average 1 lb of weight loss per week, and now, 24 weeks in, I have lost 26 lbs. I recognize it's not extremely slow, but I have a lot of friends who are just getting as much weight off of them in as short a period as they can, and it just doesn't resonate with me. I like taking off 0.2 lbs here, 1.6 lbs there, and then looking back and seeing it add up after months. It's rewarding for my consistency.

My reasons for taking it a bit slower than many others are:
- I need my approach to be flexible and sustainable. I have little kids and life happens. So far I've been able to keep at it through most of what life has thrown at me.
- I enjoy working out 4-5 days a week for my mental health and I'm happy to be getting physically stronger. I don't want to eat too little to support those goals.
- I have enjoyed not feeling overly restricted and try to embrace the 80% clean and 20% indulgence approach to my nutrition.

Replies

• kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    I can happily say that I've been on track since Sept 2016. I'm at a weight now that I've very happy with (I lose 20 pounds and it took me about 10 months to a year to do so) and now my goals have changed to building more muscle.

That's fantastic! Long term success is so inspiring to me. Did you have to make many tweaks to your overall approach along the way?
  • kesirko
    kesirko Posts: 7 Member
    I'm slow and steady as well. There isn't much I want to lose, and I also have a little "vanity weight" (10 lbs) that I'd like to lose. Perhaps my real goal is more muscle and less fat. Doing it slowly feels more sustainable and realistic to me, and it's a lot more flexible. So I can still have a couple of beers once in awhile without feeling like I've sabotaged everything.

I also work out 4-5 times a week partly for mental health maintenance. I've dealt with depression on and off for about 25 years, and the gym has become one of my best coping tools.
  • kdbulger
    aeloine wrote: »
    The thought of being actively hungry for two years made me very, very sad.

So I'm only rarely hungry, indulge regularly, celebrate special occasions, and lose slowly.

Yes! I think this is a fantastic and rational approach, though I may be biased since I share those goals. But I figured, why set myself up for failure as I have in the past? In this way, I can absolutely be consistent.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Some of it depends on where you started too. When you've got a huge amount to go, losing 3-4 lbs a week just sort of happens. When you're down to those last 10 lbs, its slow going. So there's a ton of factors to consider.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited January 2018
    I'm pretty darn slow too, but it's not helping that I keep getting lazy about scale, or that I am a TERRIBLE boredom eater.
    I am losing, but a little less than a pound a week average.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Once I started to lose more, I realized I couldn't sustain the big deficit. I'd go over and feel bad but I realized I was still losing just at a slower pace. So I bumped the calories up and I'm happy to be eating more while still losing.
  • kdbulger
    Some of it depends on where you started too. When you've got a huge amount to go, losing 3-4 lbs a week just sort of happens. When you're down to those last 10 lbs, its slow going. So there's a ton of factors to consider.

Oh absolutely! But my post is really aimed at people who are content with/actually aiming for that slower loss, whatever that means for them and however it pans out. It's the mindset I'm interested in.
  • kdbulger
    Plus I’m still nursing, and I don’t want to stress my body too much.
    Me too!

• kathleenford04
    kathleenford04 Posts: 128 Member
    Yeah! I’m trying to lose slowly because I’m currently breastfeeding. Also more sustainable in the long run, like you said! Feel free to add me :)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Out of necessity, yes. I don't subsist happily or well on 1200 calories and at my height (5'4) and weight (163 currently) I either get 1200 calories, or I get to lose slowly. I'll take the slow route :tongue:
  • anglilacs
    anglilacs Posts: 165 Member
    I have 25 lbs to get to my healthy weight. And I aim to lose a half pound a week. I would LOVE to lose faster but it has never worked for me so slow and steady it has been. My goal is to be at a healthy weight by 40 (2 years away).
  • CourtneyUT
    CourtneyUT Posts: 48 Member
    I am hypoglycemic so I was feeling hungry and cranky on the calories MFP gave me to lose a pound a week. So I changed it to a half pound a week and I feel better, physically and mentally. I am trying to remind myself that it doesn't matter that it will take longer to reach my goal. I'll get there eventually. It's not worth making myself miserable in the meantime.
  • Frankie_Fan
    Frankie_Fan Posts: 562 Member
    Yep, taking it slow this time around and not trying to obsess over it if that's even a thing. I've been learning a lot in classes that I'm taking and from some members here on MyFitnessPal.
  • jennabun101
    jennabun101 Posts: 54 Member
    I tried different diets and lost weight quickly, but never long term. The weight would always come back... and bring friends. This time I've decided to do things slowly. Gained it over time, take it off over time, right? I don't think anyone can see a difference yet, but I feel it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    During my initial weight loss it was 1 Lb per week on average...I'm in my winter weight cut right now and it's about 1 Lb per week to drop my 10 Lbs of winter weight.

A 500 calorie deficit is pretty easy to do and still go about my life pretty normally...a 1000 calorie deficit to lose faster would require me to make some significant adjustments and restrictions and that's just lame...
  • cynhkr1300
    cynhkr1300 Posts: 14 Member
    kdbulger wrote: »
    I'm just curious who else is out there who is purposely taking their weight loss journey kind of slowly and are very much okay with it? What are your reasons for wanting to take things more slowly? I'm also interested in hearing success stories from those who did lose slowly and had it add up.

I have a goal to lose 0.5 pound a week, my target is 1800 cals per day. Reasons?
    1. I lost 30 lbs that way (logging food intake on myfitnesspal) in 2015, and then maintained for a while, and now I'm ready to start again.
    2. I'm someone who has gone through several past cycles of weight loss and regain, ending at a higher ultimate weight with each regain. I want to take it slow because after the slow loss of 30 lbs in 2015, I was successful in avoiding the regain half of the cycle. You lose lean mass as well as fat with each weight loss (there is no way a human body can lose only fat when in calorie deficit) -- and when you are post-menopause like me, if you regain you regain a higher % of fat and lower % of lean mass. (Life is not fair.) So it makes sense to do my best to limit the likelihood of regain, which I think taking the loss slowly will do.
    3. Eating less than 1800 cals a day leaves me too hungry, so slow helps me stick to the plan.
    4. I recently discovered barbell training. See www.startingstrength.com -- and I want to make sure I'm eating enough protein and calories to support my training schedule and getting stronger. Developing strength is the best way to retain muscle and bone, stay independent and vigorous, and avoid depressing places like nursing homes, as you age. Yes, women can train with barbells, and no, we don't grow big ugly muscles doing it because we don't have the male hormones that would cause bulking up. I expect training to help me adjust my body composition, to a greater percentage lean and smaller percentage fat - especially the belly fat.

Be kind to yourselves, friends, and especially those of you who are breast-feeding! Thanks for your contributions to this thread - it's encouraging.