Asking for a friend.

Options
A friend of mine has recently started a weight loss journey. She went to see a nutritionist and got put on an incredibly restrictive diet. She can only have green vegetables, protein (not unlimited), for salads, she can have only Blue Cheese Dressing (2 tsp/day). They sell her snacks that she is only supposed to eat if she exercises. What can I say to her to make her understand this is crazy? She has no health issues, so it is not a disease thing. She is not even supposed to have things like red peppers, because they have sugar in them. There is no possible way she is reaching 1200 cal/day. I’m not sure how to help and support when I think this is not good for her and she is not eating enough - especially under a doctors care. Any advice?

Replies

• chelliz88
    chelliz88 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    What in the world?! That doesn't sound right. Most vegetables have VERY low calories, so you're right- there is absolutely no way she is getting up to 1200 calories. Does she have to keep a diary?? I would be surprised if she doesn't have to, but if not, have her use MFP. Maybe a second opinion??
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Yikes. Well, all you can really do is voice your concerns and hope she listens. Hopefully she'll come to her senses quickly and realize this diet is too restrictive (and probably way too low-calorie).

Just try to be supportive or understanding, otherwise she might just think you're trying to sabotage her efforts. Maybe something like "Hey, have you heard of MyFitnessPal? It's a really simple tool to help you lose weight if your program doesn't end up working out. They have a great community too."
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with clearly voicing concern in as non-confrontational a manner as possible, but also understand that no matter how you pose it she may very well not listen.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,099 Member
    Options
    I agree it sounds a bit odd, but I think people do what they want and don't really want advice from well-meaning friends when they have chosen to pay for that service.

Let it go, she's not going to hurt herself most likely. Who knows what kind of agreement they have between them? (The nutritionist and her.)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Why only blue cheese dressing? :huh: :sick:

Seriously, though, more than likely she will adhere for a while and then her body will demand more variety and she'll succumb to a binge or some binge-like behavior. Is that ideal? No. But neither is a diet comprised of only green veggies, gross dressing, and some protein, plus mystery snacks. You can of course voice your concern in a loving way, but don't expect her to listen.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    smartin114 wrote: »
    A friend of mine has recently started a weight loss journey. She went to see a nutritionist and got put on an incredibly restrictive diet. She can only have green vegetables, protein (not unlimited), for salads, she can have only Blue Cheese Dressing (2 tsp/day). They sell her snacks that she is only supposed to eat if she exercises. What can I say to her to make her understand this is crazy? She has no health issues, so it is not a disease thing. She is not even supposed to have things like red peppers, because they have sugar in them. There is no possible way she is reaching 1200 cal/day. I’m not sure how to help and support when I think this is not good for her and she is not eating enough - especially under a doctors care. Any advice?

Have you ever lost weight or attempted to lose weight? Did you try weird things? Why?

You could tell her you've heard that myfitnesspal where you track your calorie intake is really helpful and free to try. Talk about things you like about it.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Just explain the difference between a dietitian and a nutritionist and suggest she get a second opinion from someone that has proper university qualifications for sound dietary advice.
  • 0305bp
    0305bp Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you are willing to let it go. Unsolicited dietary advice is seldom welcome or helpful (even if it's the "right" advice). People eat crap all the time, at least most of her crap is green veggies. That said, it couldn't hurt to talk positively about successes you have and engage in conversation that way.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Just explain the difference between a dietitian and a nutritionist and suggest she get a second opinion from someone that has proper university qualifications for sound dietary advice.

In my state the educational requirements for both are the same. ^^This is out-dated advice, IMO.

I doubt very much that it's necessarily the same in every state or other places in the world. Here in Canada, as far as I'm aware, nutritionists and dieticians are not quite the same education-wise. Plenty of other places where the same holds true, so no it's not necessarily out-dated advice. Especially when you consider the absolutely terrible advice this friend is getting from a nutritionist.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

In my state the educational requirements for both are the same. ^^This is out-dated advice, IMO.

I don't know where you are from but in most parts of the world anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. Only those that have been to uni can call themselves a dietitian. A nutritionist may have a uni quantification and actually be a dietitian but more often than not they don't. It is not uncommon for the extent of training for a nutritionist being an online course for 6 months or even less.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I think this varies widely by state -- in most states I have lived, being able to call yourself a registered dietitian involves a lot more education and a specific license while it's relatively easy to take some online courses and call yourself a nutritionist.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,099 Member
    Options

I think this varies widely by state -- in most states I have lived, being able to call yourself a registered dietitian involves a lot more education and a specific license while it's relatively easy to take some online courses and call yourself a nutritionist.

I recently researched it in my state, because I thought I might like to be a weekend nutritionist.

The educational requirements are the same for both in my state, both require a degree and certification/license.. Much to my disappointment. I just think the flat advice we give on this site needs to be revised a bit.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    What you describe sounds like a ketogenic diet. Would that be correct?
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Sounds suspiciously like the Dr. Bernstein Diet. Which I tried years ago. I calculated my calories back then and was getting around 600 - 800/day. And no you can't stay on it for very long. I did about 5 months and lost 45 pounds which I of course gained back. All you can do is be supportive and let it run it's course. I quit when my hair started falling out. I finally lost the weight permanently here on MFP.