cookies and cake

Options
when it is cold outside, I love a nice cup of tea and a baked good. Any ideas on substitutions and/or some sort of baked good that I can enjoy without destroying my diet?

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    protein angel food cake :D definatly a sweet glorified omlette but full 9 inch "cake" for 200ish cals and its pure protein and yummy
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    1 cookie?

I'm not a 1 cookie kind of girl. Baking with protein powder and sweeteners can help.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    protein angel food cake :D definatly a sweet glorified omlette but full 9 inch "cake" for 200ish cals and its pure protein and yummy

it is perfect with strawberries and a little cool whip!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I keep my desserts to 200 calories/serving or fewer. That leave me open to some fruit crisps, a lot of unfrosted cakes (e.g. maple apple, applesauce gingerbread, molasses oat squares, angel cake pudding), mini muffins, meringues, chocolate truffles, and a lot of poached fruit and compots.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

it is perfect with strawberries and a little cool whip!

i like mine with vanilla extract.powder stevia and blueberries baked in and oats sprinkled over the top...OMG
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You could always make your favorite baked sweet, except as a single serve. I’ve done that when I was craving homemade bread. I just divided all my ingredients until I literally had a single serving , it did take dedication though :p
  • dressagerider1020
    dressagerider1020 Posts: 106 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    In a gallon storage bag mix 1 box angel food cake mix & 1 box regular cake mix (I use German chocolate).
    Measure out 3 tablespoons of the mix and place in ramekin
    add 2 tablespoons water & mix well
    Microwave 1 min & let cool

I think it works out to 3 WW SPs.

http://themondaybox.com/2013/03/3-2-1-cake/
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It's usually not very satisfying to eat a food just because you think it's "healthier" when you really want something else. Budget calories for the snack you enjoy instead of eating things you don't really want. Have smaller portions if you have trouble fitting your favorite foods into your calorie goals.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'm usually fine with a couple of cookies. You could try Fiber One brownies they are not bad and pretty low cal. I try to save 150 - 200 cals for something sweet with my tea at night. When I can't, I'll have a dark chocolate square instead. Or I skip all of it and have a beer :smiley:
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm usually fine with a couple of cookies. You could try Fiber One brownies they are not bad and pretty low cal. I try to save 150 - 200 cals for something sweet with my tea at night. When I can't, I'll have a dark chocolate square instead. Or I skip all of it and have a beer :smiley:

I often have 2 fiber one brownies/cakes for dessert. I pop them in the microwave for about 10 seconds just until they get warm and melt. Very tasty and satisfying. And it's a ton of fiber.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I love the fiber one dessert cakes 90 calories, perfect with a cuppa
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    <Runs into kitchen to pop Fiber One brownie in the microwave...> :drinker:
  • azkabanned
    azkabanned Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Look up some recipes for low calorie soufflés! Soooo delicious.
  • jrbanks2010
    jrbanks2010 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love sweets so this is good information for me...I like the angel food cake idea. Any thoughts on how to make low calorie homemade cakes? I'm allergic to soy so I try to stay away from processed desserts.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Your diet is what you eat, you can't destroy it. Baked goods have calories. If there were any enjoyable substitutions, you'd alredy been eating them. At least there should have been a recipe included with the article that gave you the idea.

Trying to substitute will do nothing for your cravings. You can eat anything in moderation. If you try to deprive youself, for instance by substituting, it's going to be hard to eat moderately.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I love sweets so this is good information for me...I like the angel food cake idea. Any thoughts on how to make low calorie homemade cakes? I'm allergic to soy so I try to stay away from processed desserts.

I sometimes will substitute applesauce for the oil to bring down my calorie count and also don’t use as much sugar if baking from scratch. Eggs are healthy and add protein but more calories so you could always omit the eggs out of the cake mix if using a mix. I actually did that last week when I baked cupcakes. I was out of eggs so just made cupcakes without eggs. They didn’t get as fluffy though but were still good.

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    How low do you want to go? These mini-muffins come in at about 100 calories apiece (after you deduct the unused topping from the total ingredients): http://www.milkfreemom.com/cinnamon-sugar-mini-donut-muffins/

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I agree with others suggesting Fiber One bars! My favourites are Cinnamon Bun, Brownie and Lemon. They're really good!

And if I eat more than 2, I know I'm going to have some gastrointestinal discomfort (each one has 5g of fiber) so it's easy for me to limit myself.