High calorie but low fat?

Options
Hi all! I was put on a low-fat diet by my doctor because I have gallstones. I have a surgery consult about them in a few weeks but in the mean time I’m supposed to go low-fat. I thought it would be easy but I’m not getting enough calories apparently. I barely hit 1000 today and I’m not hungry by the end of the day. I drink a lot of water which helps fill me up. Any suggestions on how to go about this in a different way?

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Lots of carbs? Sweets (candy if you are in the US)...fruit, fruit juice...potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice...anything high in sugar, low in fat...there are some cereals that are low fat, high sugar/carb like Special Flakes Berry (not sure if you have an equivalent where you live?) Low fat yoghurt, cottage cheese, quark...you can eat loads of this to get calories up...low/lower fat milk...not lots of calories, but protein at least? Did the doctors/surgeons not give you a fact sheet containing this info already?
  • stind89
    stind89 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »
    Lots of carbs? Sweets (candy if you are in the US)...fruit, fruit juice...potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice...anything high in sugar, low in fat...there are some cereals that are low fat, high sugar/carb like Special Flakes Berry (not sure if you have an equivalent where you live?) Low fat yoghurt, cottage cheese, quark...you can eat loads of this to get calories up...low/lower fat milk...not lots of calories, but protein at least? Did the doctors/surgeons not give you a fact sheet containing this info already?

No I didn’t get any other information except “start a low fat diet”. Thanks for your help. :)

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Drink fruit juice or skimmed milk instead of water.
  • stind89
    Options

Skim milk is just water lying about being milk. (I don’t drink milk, even in cereal). Will buy more juice though.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    stind89 wrote: »

Skim milk is just water lying about being milk. (I don’t drink milk, even in cereal). Will buy more juice though.

Stop drinking as much water then if it's just filling you up?
  • stind89
    Options
    stind89 wrote: »

Stop drinking as much water then if it's just filling you up?

I mean I don’t drink it to replace food. I like to stay hydrated and it’s just my go to drink aside from tea. I will try to sub out some of my daily intake for juice instead.
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Rice, potatoes? Both can get calories up with little fat. :)
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Do you feel as though your diet is particularly high in fat (i.e. keto)? Did the doctor define what was meant by low fat? Was your usual diet causing you to have gall bladder attacks?

If it wasn't, consider eating how you normally do. Unless you're trying to manage the stones long term nonsurgically, there's really no reason to drastically change your diet in the short term.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I've been on a high protein/carb & low fat diet for almost 20 months. Lost 40# in the 1st 6 months & maintained weight for the past 14 months on it.

Not hard to do at all. Just don't eat much (if any) fatty food. Everything else is either protein or carbs. No end of choices.
  • katebowen37
    katebowen37 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My fiance had his galbladder removed 2 months ago, so we've been eating really low fat. Here's what he eats:
    Breakfast: hard boiled eggs, banana, apple.
    Lunch: Baked chicken, steamed broccoli, canteloupe
    Snack: Raw carrots, blueberries and grapes, fruit juice, ritz or whole grain crackers.
    Dinner: Chicken or fish, baked potato, mixed veggies.

PS- a word to the wise... even after galbladder surgery, you will need SOME fat in your diet. Bad experiences were had by all when we eliminated fat completely.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I did an extremely low fat diet for a couple of weeks and found it very easy to eat enough calories. Because carbs and protein.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Rice, potatoes, pasta, fruit, shrimp, beans, chicken breast, low fat milk and yogurt,