Running form on treadmills?

Options
I have never been much of a runner but I like to use the cardio machines at the gym to warm up on. I'm healthy and young, reasonably fit. My legs are pretty strong and I swim competitively so have good endurance. But I can't run for more than 30 seconds! I'm working on improving my running but don't seem to be getting very far so I was wondering if it's my form that's making it difficult (I feel very clunky and heavy footed). I run heel first and have been reading around and found advice that it's better to strike the ground with a flat foot or ball or your foot. Does this apply to treadmills? I can do a 100m sprint using the balls of my feet but how the heck do you jog/run using the balls of your feet?!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    try c25k, you're probably just running too fast
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    as @TavistockToad said - its' most likely you are running too fast. Try a gradual programme like c25k where you use walk/run intervals.

whether you are a foot or heel striker is less important than whether you are overstriding - keep your steps short and land with your lower leg pretty much vertical underneath you.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Running mechanics are 90% genetics. Also, you are running too fast.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    slow down..
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you're running too fast for your current level. Slow down. Like any other sport or exercise, running pace takes time to build up to. Though I have good running endurance, I know if I took up swimming, I'd have to start slow.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    coachswaf wrote: »

More THIS!!
    You def shouldn't be landing with your heel. Besides the injury risk you also aren't utilizing the strength of your foot properly. You want to land on your arch (it's evolutionary). I started my running journey just like you...heavy footed. I had to be deliberate during my runs to change my form. Some things I did.

1. Drive your knee up
    2. Take smaller steps (higher cadence)
    3. Be deliberate about striking your arch instead of your heel
    4. Get your shoulders back

Like some of the others suggested. Start slowly and work toward a better pace
    Less this.

It's realistically more like 50%

If she is heel striking she is over-striding .... end of story. Increase your cadence to correct over-striding. Google "over-striding" and you will find endless hits on how to correct it. Slow down and work on your form. It is correctable. I've done it myself and I've seen others do it numerous times while coaching youth cross country. I would also be willing to bet she is crossing her arms and leaning too far back but I am not privy to that information.

Myth.
  • Fitwithsci
    Fitwithsci Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would argue that running mechanics are 0% genetics. Running, like any skill, can be learned and executed proficiently with practice and good coaching, barring some sort of anomaly that does not allow for normal gait patterns, say a bony deformation or impaired neuromuscular functioning . There has been a lot of back and fourth over the years as to whether heal striking, mid-foot striking, or toe-striking is best/more efficient/etc., but ultimately it comes down to what you are most comfortable with, do not try to dramatically change your running style unless there is something very wrong with it. I have worked with high level marathoners who heel strike.

NadNight, get yourself a heart rate monitor (dont trust the ones on the treadmill unless paired with a chest strap), and a mirror. Place the mirror in front of the treadmill so that you can watch your feet strike the belt. I do agree that you are probably running to fast and probably overstriding but a mirror will help you to address your heavy footfall. Also pay attention to how high you are "jumping" between strides, it is possible that you have to much vertical displacement, which means you are wasting energy propelling yourself upwards rather than forwards. Use the heart rate monitor to pace yourself. Calculate your HR max, 220-age should be an adequate estimate for your purposes, and then figure out what 60-75% of that is. For example if you are 20 years old your max HR is around 200bpm. Try and keep your HR within 120-150bpm which is 60-75% of your max. This should be a very easy pace which can be maintainable for a long time. Stick to this range while you figure out what running style works best for you (heal striking is o.k.), if you HR gets to high, adjust your form, which will probably mean shortening your stride and increasing your cadence. As you get more comfortable you will notice that you need to run faster to maintain the HR range I have described which likely means you are making improvements and finding your preferred running style. Please feel free to pm me if you have any more questions, I will try to provide the most practical and science based information that I can.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I have always landed heal-first and have never had a problems from that. To the OP - slow down and don't worry about form. Slowing you pace will allow you to get your warm up run in. I'm a big believer in C25K for people wanting to run distances, but that does not sound like what you are going for.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

More THIS!!
    You def shouldn't be landing with your heel. Besides the injury risk you also aren't utilizing the strength of your foot properly. You want to land on your arch (it's evolutionary). I started my running journey just like you...heavy footed. I had to be deliberate during my runs to change my form. Some things I did.

1. Drive your knee up
    2. Take smaller steps (higher cadence)
    3. Be deliberate about striking your arch instead of your heel
    4. Get your shoulders back

Like some of the others suggested. Start slowly and work toward a better pace
    Less this.

It's realistically more like 50%

If she is heel striking she is over-striding .... end of story. Increase your cadence to correct over-striding. Google "over-striding" and you will find endless hits on how to correct it. Slow down and work on your form. It is correctable. I've done it myself and I've seen others do it numerous times while coaching youth cross country. I would also be willing to bet she is crossing her arms and leaning too far back but I am not privy to that information.

Much coaching guidance in the UK is to avoid intentional changes to footstrike, largely as most of the effect is changing the type of injury the runner is at risk of.

That said, encouraging a short, quick, stride will tend to lead to a more midfoot landing.

I would also observe that recent studies have indicated that after about 8-10 miles most endurance runners are heel-striking anyway. The tests were reasonably small sample sizes though.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Fitwithsci wrote: »
    I would argue that running mechanics are 0% genetics. Running, like any skill, can be learned and executed proficiently with practice and good coaching, barring some sort of anomaly that does not allow for normal gait patterns, say a bony deformation or impaired neuromuscular functioning . There has been a lot of back and fourth over the years as to whether heal striking, mid-foot striking, or toe-striking is best/more efficient/etc., but ultimately it comes down to what you are most comfortable with, do not try to dramatically change your running style unless there is something very wrong with it. I have worked with high level marathoners who heel strike.

This is a great self-own. The reason a person is comfortable running a certain way has a tremendous amount to do with their physical structure, which is a result of genetics (barring injury).

Other than that, I agree with you about doing what you are comfortable with. Running more miles (over time) increases efficiency, and tends to quiet some upper body movement. Running drills to improve strength, range of motion, and neuromuscular fitness are great--but mostly for nudging along more seasoned runners and adding fun to training programs.

All this talk about "proper form" can be overwhelming for beginning runners. If someone is trying to shave seconds, then we can talk about head position, turn-over, arm swing, upper-body carriage, knee lift, and God forbid, foot strike. Meanwhile, just take it easy. Get some proper footwear, put in the time, be patient, and don't try to build too fast. Running should be fun. Little kids do it without encouragement.

If you can't run for 60 seconds, then slow down. Group programs for beginners are generally fantastic.

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Start with a moderate walk on the treadmill. Kick it up .2. Still walking? Kick it up again. Now it's a brisk walk, hard to hold - so kick it up again, just a little. You'll find yourself doing a slow jog. For a beginner, the pace that is just slightly faster than you can walk is a good pace to run. When that feels easy, pick up the pace another .1 or .2. If you find yourself breathless, drop the pace a bit. By keeping your pace slow, you can go farther.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    OK - As someone who heel strikes (slightly) and does not over stride... Ignore advice telling you to purposely change the way you land. You will only move the risk of injury to another part of your body. Trust me here - achillies injuries are not fun. There are things to do to help your form that are simple and effective. Land with your feet under you (prevents overstriding). Keep you posture uprights. Swing your arms with your body (not across it).

I agree - slow down. If you can't run 30 seconds, walk some. Programs like C25K are great for this.

Good luck.