Building Muscle and Responsibilities

Options
So I am a current medical student who is thinking about finally getting over my FFB fears and putting on more muscle. I’m not thinking anything crazy so my surplus will be cautious and slow.
However, my biggest concern right now is my other responsibilities. I am great about hitting the gym 5 days a week and counting accurately. My problem, though, is that my home gym has no squat rack, meaning I need to squat at school to lift effectively. But I am not going to be able to stay at school on leg days for that extra hour to do my workout there anymore. I was thinking that, if I bulk, I will do my squats ONLY on leg days at my school, then later on in the day I will complete the rest of my leg day at my apartment. Would this still work? Logically it seems it would but I want to make sure I wouldn’t be messing with normal recovery or anything

Replies

• Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    The answer is "yes".
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Great. I know it’s probably strange but a hectic schedule kind of has changed things nowadays
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    As above, you can always split your workouts as required. There is nothing saying everything needs to be done at one time, it's just more of a convenience. It might be hard to split though since you get out of the rhythm and soreness can be an issue if you wait too long between workouts.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    don't over think it- just figure it out so it works. At this level- lifting isn't rocket science. It's picking up some heavy a** *kitten* and putting it down.

Fit it in where it makes sense.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    don't over think it- just figure it out so it works. At this level- lifting isn't rocket science. It's picking up some heavy a** *kitten* and putting it down.

Yup, pick up fluffy heavy kittens and hug the crap out of them!

Seriously, though, OP, your plan sounds fine.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Yup, pick up fluffy heavy kittens and hug the crap out of them!

Seriously, though, OP, your plan sounds fine.

I laughed at that a lot harder than I should have... :blush:
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Since you already have a crazy schedule, a DIY project may be out of reach, but if not, you could build your own squat rack for your home gym on the cheap. I put this guy together years ago, and my lifting partners and I have used it every week for years:
    a1babbv1431s.jpg

I had saved the link for the original site where I found the instructions for how to make that, but that link no longer works. I googled DIY squat racks, and there are a lot of better designs out there. Also, having the rack at home doesn't solve the spotter issue if you're going to failure. But I thought I'd throw it out there, just so you'd know it's an option.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Good on you for coming up with an option that works.

By the way, I could never l squat in that thing. I think 415 would crack those boards, reracking would make it fall, and I would be *kitten* on the odd chance I get pinned. I'd stick to splitting the workout like OP if that was my other option.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    Good on you for coming up with an option that works.

By the way, I could never l squat in that thing. I think 415 would crack those boards, reracking would make it fall, and I would be *kitten* on the odd chance I get pinned. I'd stick to splitting the workout like OP if that was my other option.

Yeah, my personal record on squats is all of 150 lbs, so there's that. I wouldn't trust that thing with 415, but I'm pretty sure that wood will rot before I can squat that amount of weight. I did see a whole lot of better designs for DIY squat racks when I googled, so you might find something that would hold that, but this one works for what I need it to.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    For different reasons, I do exactly what you are talking about, OP. A portion of my workout in the morning, a portion of my workout in the evening. Only way I can do everything and make it work.