Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Workout routine for guys over 40 who want to look 20

brtgl
brtgl Posts: 129 Member
edited January 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
After having hurt my shoulder two years ago, and only jogging since the injury, I'm back at LA Fitness and am looking to nail down a workout routine. I'm actually over 50, but feel like I'm still 40.

I've seen so many workout plans, but some only hit each muscle group once a week, which doesn't seem frequent enough. I'd like to be able to go into the gym and know exactly what machines to hit each day.

Instead of Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc., I'd just go with Day 1, Day 2, and so forth. Here's sort of a start of what I'm trying to figure out, keeping in mind that I want to hit all muscles groups, but give just a little extra emphasis to the chest, which seems to have the most catching up to do, and the abs. I understand that abs start in the kitchen. I'm logging everything I eat and am targeting 1,500 calories per day, not eating after 7pm, etc.

Workout Routine Option #1

This approach is one that seems to hit each muscle group a little too infrequently (every nine days), but is one I'm still creating and considering:

Day 1: Chest and Triceps
  1. 10 minutes on elliptical or treadmill
  2. Incline Press Startrac
  3. Nitro Vertical Chest
  4. Freemotion Chest
  5. Pectoral Fly
  6. Nautilus Lat Pulldown
  7. Hammer Strength ISO Lateral Incline Press

Day 2:
20 minutes on elliptical or treadmill
Rest muscles

Day 3: Biceps and Back

Day 4:
Rest muscles

Day 5: Shoulders and Traps

Day 6:
Rest muscles

Day 7: Legs and Abs

Day 8:
Rest muscles

Repeat

Workout Routine Option #2

This approach hits every muscle group every seven days.

Day 1: Upper Body

Day 2: Rest

Day 3: Legs

Day 4: Rest

Day 5: Core

Day 6: Rest

Repeat

Workout Routine Option #3

This approach hits every muscle group every two or three days.

Day 1: Full body

Day 2: Rest

Repeat after Day 2 or maybe two days of rest.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies

• brtgl
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Do SL5x5 and stop overthinking things in the beginning.

Guilty as charged. I'll check it out. Thanks.
  • brtgl
    Follow the app.

Oh, there's an app. I just checked and see "StrongLifts 5x5". Is that the app?

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Do SL5x5 and stop overthinking things in the beginning.

Yar- this.

Don't go crazy. Doing anything is better than nothing- but doing a simple program cuts the BS and gets it done.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    bgowder wrote: »
    Follow the app.

Oh, there's an app. I just checked and see "StrongLifts 5x5". Is that the app?

Yes.
  • brtgl
    I just installed the app and got to a page that says "Next". Then it lists three workouts:

Squat 5x5 45lb
    Bench 5x5 45lb
    Row 5x5 65lb

Is that it for one visit to the gym? If so, I've already been doing more for Bench. This was Sunday's workout (Copied and pasted from my spreadsheet):

Incline Press Startrac 60
    Nitro Vertical Chest 65
    Freemotion Chest 35
    Pectoral Fly 55
    Nautilus Lat Pulldown 90
    Hammer Strength ISO Lateral Incline Press 90
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    edited January 2018
    I just installed the app and got to a page that says "Next". Then it lists three workouts:

Squat 5x5 45lb
    Bench 5x5 45lb
    Row 5x5 65lb

Is that it for one visit to the gym? If so, I've already been doing more for Bench. This was Sunday's workout (Copied and pasted from my spreadsheet):

Incline Press Startrac 60
    Nitro Vertical Chest 65
    Freemotion Chest 35
    Pectoral Fly 55
    Nautilus Lat Pulldown 90
    Hammer Strength ISO Lateral Incline Press 90

Yes, that's it. 5 sets plus warm up for each exercise. In addition, you will be adding 5 lbs to the weight you do every workout until you max out, so the weight increases fast!!

Remember you may have done more before once a week, but you will be benching 3 times/week in this program, so each day has less volume, though volume for the week is probably more than what you were doing

These exercises are also free weights, not machines, so your stabilizing muscles and core get worked too.

why were you doing 6 different exercises for chest in one workout before? how many sets of each did you do? this workout will have you do 25 working sets/week on bench
  • brtgl
    edited January 2018
    I did three sets of 10 for each exercise. I knew much of what I was doing was unnecessary and redundant, but was basically getting acclimated with the equipment.

• brtgl
    Are we supposed to do these on consecutive days or should there be a day of rest in between. I can't seem to find that answer. Last night's exercise was easy. I was tempted to add weight, but thought I'd do exactly what the app instructed:

Squat 5x5 45lb
    Bench 5x5 45lb
    Row 5x5 65lb
  • erickirb
    Are we supposed to do these on consecutive days or should there be a day of rest in between. I can't seem to find that answer. Last night's exercise was easy. I was tempted to add weight, but thought I'd do exactly what the app instructed:

Squat 5x5 45lb
    Bench 5x5 45lb
    Row 5x5 65lb

Take a day off in between, never back to back days.
    It starts light for a few reasons, one of which is allowing our joints and ligaments to adjust, as they are usually slower than muscles and could be where one becomes injury prone, follow the program as it. It will get tough soon enough.
  • brtgl
    erickirb wrote: »

Squat 5x5 45lb
    Bench 5x5 45lb
    Row 5x5 65lb

It starts light for a few reasons, one of which is allowing our joints and ligaments to adjust, as they are usually slower than muscles and could be where one becomes injury prone, follow the program as it. It will get tough soon enough.

I'm chomping at the bit to see results, but I'll be patient. If I'm also gunning for abs, will this help accomplish that goal or should I supplement it with something else?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2018
    You would be get better results with Starting Strength than SL. Especially over 50.

Another option would be...

Mon: Heavy Bench/Light OHP
    Tues: Heavy Squat/Light DL
    Thurs: Heavy OHP/Light Bench
    Fri: Heavy DL/Light Squat

I'm nearing 50 and would hazard I have a better body than the majority of most 25 year olds. It's a simple process that takes dedication, nutrition, recovery, and patience.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member

Squat 5x5 45lb
    Bench 5x5 45lb
    Row 5x5 65lb

I'm chomping at the bit to see results, but I'll be patient. If I'm also gunning for abs, will this help accomplish that goal or should I supplement it with something else?

Aren't we all. Unfortunately, it doesn't really work like that.

Once you are on a good program, the only thing you need to "supplement" that programming with is the correct diet.
  • erickirb
    exercise wont help uncover your abs, fat loss will. With this program you will get a lot of core activation, so no need to add extra in, unless it becomes your limiting factor when weight gets higher. Squats, Rows, Deadlifts, OH press will all work your core, as you have to stabilize yourself when performing the exercises.

If you do additional core exercise, your core may not have recovered enough to do this routine, so if you do add any core movements, do it on the same day, at the end of the SL routine.
  • JoRocka

Squat 5x5 45lb
    Bench 5x5 45lb
    Row 5x5 65lb

settle in- enjoy the grind- this process takes years.

also- abs are a function of body fat- which means - controlling your diet. You can exercise to you are literally blue in the face- but if you don't control your food- you won't get there.
  • brtgl
    JoRocka wrote: »

Squat 5x5 45lb
    Bench 5x5 45lb
    Row 5x5 65lb

settle in- enjoy the grind- this process takes years.

also- abs are a function of body fat- which means - controlling your diet. You can exercise to you are literally blue in the face- but if you don't control your food- you won't get there.

Yes, I learned a few weeks back, when consulting with a trainer, that abs start in the kitchen. My diet right now is capped at 1,500 calories, which has caused me to have to make some adjustments. For example, I used to have a Noosa yogurt every morning (nothing else for breakfast), but have switched to Siggi's.

Sometimes my college kids will make a protein shake and ask if I want one (Body Fortress Isolate Protein with banana, peanut butter, and honey) and I'll have anywhere from half to a full serving. Hard to say no to that, because of the yum factor.

• JoRocka
    lol 1500 seems low for you- not sure how tall you are- but I'm at 1800 as a woman and I'm SQUARELY in a deficit.

But yeah- protein shakes are probably fine- but bananas and peanut butter probably put it over the top.
  • brtgl
    lol 1500 seems low for you- not sure how tall you are- but I'm at 1800 as a woman and I'm SQUARELY in a deficit.

But yeah- protein shakes are probably fine- but bananas and peanut butter probably put it over the top.

I wondered about the 1,500 calories myself. Some online tool calculated that for me. I'm 5' 11", 189 pounds and 23.4% body fat. I was 201 on December 10, 2017 and managed to not gain anything over Christmas. I thought 185 pounds was going to be my target weight, but I'm still seeing a little extra on me that I'd like to shave off.
  • JoRocka

I wondered about the 1,500 calories myself. Some online tool calculated that for me. I'm 5' 11", 189 pounds and 23.4% body fat. I was 201 on December 10, 2017 and managed to not gain anything over Christmas. I thought 185 pounds was going to be my target weight, but I'm still seeing a little extra on me that I'd like to shave off.

Try Scooby's TDEE Calculator- comes up if you google it. that's WAY to low for you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    There is a thread in the Gaining forum called Which Lifting Program is Right For You? Surprised no one has mentioned it, but I can't post the link right now.