Morning workout or Night workout? what do you do?

Options

Replies

• ZRunner5Lulaica
    ZRunner5Lulaica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I prefer morning workouts, but unless I work 8 or later, it becomes impractical for me to get a session in and still get ready on time. Right now, I'm running in the mornings (2 miles with a goal of stretching to 3 when my pace gets better) and doing everything else in the evenings after work.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I go after work, so around 4:45-5pm. I was waking up early for a while but I require a lot of sleep so I would have to go to bed at like 9 and it just wasn’t working for me. My husband always wants to hang out with me in the evenings after our kids go to bed lol. He gets so upset when I want to go to bed early.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I do both. I work both days and nights so my schedule is changing week to week.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Spin classes in the morning after dropping my son off to school (only twice a week as I work the other mornings).

Kettlecise/cardio in the evenings when my children are in bed.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Whenever my toddler goes down for a nap. If there is no nap I reschedule to later or do band work/cardio/yoga with him in the living room
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I prefer the morning after the kids get on the school bus. But if something blows up at work or I have meetings first thing, I just fit it in when I can in the afternoon.
  • wryone4
    wryone4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Generally, I wake at 5:30 and meet a friend in the gym at 6:00 AM. I live and work at a school and what starts as a free afternoon/evening always gets booked up. If I go first thing in the AM, I can't make excuses not to go, I feel like I have accomplished something no matter what happens in the day, and it helps set me in a healthy mindset for the day. Sometimes I will also go in the evening if I have the time and inclination.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    The right answer is that whenever you are able to exercise is the right time to exercise. I can add a personal vote for first thing in the mornings, although I would note that this really depends on my getting enough sleep. I like first thing for a lot of the reasons already listed: harder to make excuses to skip, fewer distractions, more energy during the rest of the day, and starting off my day with a sense of accomplishment. I’ve had to switch to an after work schedule this week and it’s fine, but I feel like I’m fighting myself a lot more to get it done.
  • amyf2000
    amyf2000 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I initially only worked out after work, then only worked out at noon, and lately primarily work out in the morning. I'm so way not a morning person and need to get up at 530 in order to leave the house at 7. But it's just such a better time to work out. I can get the equipment I need for weights, and when I ice skate in the morning the ice is way better and there are fewer people. I also need 8-9 hours of sleep a night so I'm usually asleep by 9pm. It's a nutty schedule but it has been satisfying.
  • RollTideHusker
    RollTideHusker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Morning workout for me. I get up 4:30/4:45 and workout at home doing T25. I could wake up later, but after I have to sit for a while to get a bit more coherent- drink coffee, watch the news.
    I’ve tried working out after work but once I get home I get really lazy and just want to unwind. :)
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I do it when I can. I prefer mid-afternoon, but again just when I can.
  • Marykaylady2010
    Marykaylady2010 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I workout at night once my son goes to bed. I am not a morning person and right now have to be at work by 830. No matter how many times I try to get up earlier to workout I always end up snoozing. It works well for me most nights I have a 5 workout a week goal. I am generally arriving at the gym at 9pm and working out for 45 mins. I also prefer to shower/ take a bath at night I have always used it to help me relax and I like to go to bed clean so this works for me
  • Rebecca9048
    Rebecca9048 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    At night after the kids are in bed. Once my 2-year-old stops getting up at 4:30 am, then I hope to switch to mornings. I’m either minding him at that hour or my husband is and is letting me sleep. Weekends I’ll do a longer afternoon session.
  • THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    4 AM.

I get a workout just from re-racking the weights from the lazy night lifters.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    Mostly I work out mornings, after I get the kids off to school. Sometimes I manage to fit in a class in the evening...or I'll hop on the elliptical machine and/or get in some sort of home workout in after the kids get to bed. But the kids' activities usually keep me busy in the afternoons and evenings.

When I worked full-time, I would always go to the gym on my way home from the office.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'd need to be in the gym by 4:30 am to do it in the morning. I go at night.
  • Gould118
    Gould118 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Whenever I have time. Mostly the morning but some times I go after work at like 2am.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a morning person. I guess if I want to do something outdoors, it's got to be before the sun goes down - so late afternoon, typically. Otherwise, if I going to the gym, it's late at night usually. I've got the place all to myself...
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Both. I get up 5.45, cup of tea then just a 20 min (from Davina 7 minute fit, or a Rosemary Conley DVD). Then when I get home from work 30-4045 minutes either Zumba, more Davina or another fitness/aerobic/dance DVD. Once a week I have a double class - 45 mins each clubbercise and Zumba - and that day I don't do my am or pm workout.