Stair Master Hurts My Back

Options
Hi everyone!

So I've recently started doing more inclined training because this summer I'm going with my in-laws to Ireland to climb Croagh Patrick. I've been using an elliptical, mostly, and adjusting the incline as I go. But I've also started using an elliptical-style stair master. The stride is a little big for me (I have short legs) and the hand grips are set up in a way that can be difficult to reach without leaning forward. I've been gripping farther back (just not holding onto the HR monitor) in an attempt to stand up straighter but every time I get off that thing, my lower back hurts. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or how I can adjust myself. I prefer to use elliptical-style machines because I have planter faciitis and the low impact is good for my feet. Any ideas?

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I can use a StairMaster and/or elliptical at a steep incline for hrs w/o any lower back or other pain.

If your lower back is hurting, it's under stress and it's either too weak for the amount of stress you're subjecting it to (which can be fixed w/lower back exercises to strengthen it) and/or you are using improper technique (like bending over too much) which is also causing excess stress to be transferred to your lower back (which can also be fixed if you can properly assess the cause of the technical problem and resolve it) and/or you have a physiological attribute that puts stress on your lower back (which may or may not be correctable depending on your specific anatomy).

Impossible to assess what exactly is causing the problem w/o knowing your medical history, your physiology and a video to see exactly how you use the equipment.

A video alone would not be enough. No one here can really help you.

I'd suggest speaking to a sports physican to assess your physiology and a personal trainer who can assess your technique to see if they csn help you pinpoint the problem. Good luck.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    if it hurts- you probably shouldn't do it.

But it sounds like you're not the right size for the equipment- that isn't particularly adjustable.

And or- you aren't engaging your abs enough in the process of trying to make it work. But its' sort of speculation if we can't see- but those are my two best guesses.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I suggest using real stairs, or better yet, hike up and down some trails with hills nearby, so you can train for the descent as well as the ascent. Hiking downhill is actually harder on your quads than hiking uphill.

That sounds like a great trip, enjoy!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Barring any medical issues such as osteoarthritis or disc problems it could be the device or it may be related to core strength ( a common problem) . Do you have the same discomfort climbing real stairs? Does your gym have a regular stair climber like one of these?

7000ptsilverconsole.jpg

If not try taking the stairs at work (assuming you work in a multi level building) of finding somewhere to climb real stairs.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    If it hurts then it's probably a good idea not to use that machine.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Ok all thanks for the input! I've been away from my computer so I'll try to answer these as best as I can now.
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I suggest using real stairs, or better yet, hike up and down some trails with hills nearby, so you can train for the descent as well as the ascent. Hiking downhill is actually harder on your quads than hiking uphill.

That sounds like a great trip, enjoy!!

I'm very excited for the trip! :smile: I'll use stairs as a last resort, mainly because my plantar faciitis flares up if I'm not doing low-impact. Hopefully it'll get easier as I drop more weight. Alas, I live in the middle of the flat prairie and there are really no hills to hike up and down. Otherwise I would much prefer that method!

Barring any medical issues such as osteoarthritis or disc problems it could be the device or it may be related to core strength ( a common problem) . Do you have the same discomfort climbing real stairs? Does your gym have a regular stair climber like one of these?

7000ptsilverconsole.jpg

If not try taking the stairs at work (assuming you work in a multi level building) of finding somewhere to climb real stairs.

A weak core could very well be my issue. I've been neglecting my torso workout for a lot of reasons that are all just bad excuses. I have no discomfort climbing real stairs other than my plantar faciitis in my feet. Perhaps I have the machine at too high of a resistance level? Sadly, this is the only stair machine my gym has, and I work in a one-level building.

I feel I should also clarify, I'm not experiencing intense pain or anything that I'm too worried about. Just a slight strain that made me think I was possibly using the machine improperly. I workout in the evenings after work and there are no trainers to ask about correction. I've only seen one other person use the machine and he seemed to use it the exact same way I did.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    It could also be simply as you first mentioned: the one type of elliptical is too big for you. I have that issue. I know which elliptical machines I can use comfortably and get a good workout and the few that are too big for me: stride too long, can't reach the handles, etc.

Experiment with different types of machines if possible.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Are you doing anything to help with your PF?
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Are you doing anything to help with your PF?

Yes, I have insoles from my podiatrist along with stretches, etc. It's not normally a big issue for me, but with the extra incline training, it's a little more tender.
  • d3dunehew
    d3dunehew Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lower the resistance and take your hands off the rails. Stand straight and walk slowly.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    If something hurts, don't do it at all or don't do it as much so your body can adapt.

What you're doing sounds awkward and injury causing.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Khovde07 wrote: »

I'm very excited for the trip! :smile: I'll use stairs as a last resort, mainly because my plantar faciitis flares up if I'm not doing low-impact.

Try doing calf raise exercises for plantar fasciitis relief. There are videos on YouTube. Since I've been doing calf raises on a regular basis it has done wonders for my plantar fasciitis.