KETO Need Help

Options
I bought the ketostix (I know they're not the most reliable) and I'm having a hard time understanding where I'm supposed to be for optimal ketosis. My ketones last night read at the higher level, I was nowhere near dehydrated, and I hadn't eaten in an hour. Is this dangerous? I don't know how to determine where I should be at. I'm 5'5" & 157 lbs.

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    The sticks are a waste of money. Either you're in ketosis or you're not, there's no need to try to track the number of ketones in your body.

You're definitely in ketosis after 24 hours of consuming 20g net carbs or fewer.
  • EmmaMC4365
    EmmaMC4365 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    The sticks are a waste of money. Either you're in ketosis or you're not, there's no need to try to track the number of ketones in your body.

You're definitely in ketosis after 24 hours of consuming 20g net carbs or fewer.

Good to know. I’m finding a lot of myths in this diet.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    emmacharen wrote: »

Lots of websites, blogs and magazines love to sensationalize weight loss tactics, unfortunately.

I did keto for about a year and had good weight loss results with it, but ultimately found it too restrictive to stick to long-term. Now I'm just calorie counting and experience good results - although a bit slower.

The benefits I experienced with keto were:
    - No sugar crashes (very stable, gradual hunger levels)
    - Decreased appetite (fat and protein were filling for me)
    - Less flatulence, bloat and water weight (dropping 2-10lbs in water weight during the first couple weeks is very common)
    - Less bad breath (bacteria in your mouth feeds on sugar, so without sugar, your breath can improve!)

The negatives were:
    - Constipation
    - Difficulty finding food in restauraunts/social situations
    - Missed carbs too much!
    - Workouts suffered
  • EmmaMC4365
    EmmaMC4365 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    emmacharen wrote: »

Lots of websites, blogs and magazines love to sensationalize weight loss tactics, unfortunately.

I did keto for about a year and had good weight loss results with it, but ultimately found it too restrictive to stick to long-term. Now I'm just calorie counting and experience good results - although a bit slower.

The benefits I experienced with keto were:
    - No sugar crashes (very stable, gradual hunger levels)
    - Decreased appetite (fat and protein were filling for me)
    - Less flatulence, bloat and water weight (dropping 2-10lbs in water weight during the first couple weeks is very common)
    - Less bad breath (bacteria in your mouth feeds on sugar, so without sugar, your breath can improve!)

The negatives were:
    - Constipation
    - Difficulty finding food in restauraunts/social situations
    - Missed carbs too much!
    - Workouts suffered

Thanks for the help!