Bright line eating

Options
2»

Replies

• texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Another "new" diet I've never heard of. I do admit to throwing quite a few of my hard earned dollars chasing that magic bullet diet plan--my wallet always got skinny before my waist did. So glad I found MFP before I got sucked into another one.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

<3 Michael Pollan!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Works for me. And free.

Also free -- Ann's thread. Thanks for adding the link again!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,621 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 rocks.

Aww, shucks <blush> :blush: . . . so sweet of you to say; thank you!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    If you are REALLY curious about BLE, you can buy the book for $11 which lays everything out
  • kshama2001
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    If you are REALLY curious about BLE, you can buy the book for $11 which lays everything out

Or get it from the library for free, which is what I did.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    If that's directed at me, I know enough about the program that I'm not interested in reading about it. But I think it's significant that even though the basic rules are available for free, the founder is relying on predatory marketing and trying to make people think they need to pay much more. I particularly find the "give us this information to take this quiz" and then get a response where probably a huge percentage of people are told they need the program, and then the marketing of the "program" (which I think is just the rules plus some videos and a support group) for a high amount of money not disclosed is pretty scammy, as I said.

(I did the quiz in my sister's name, my email, and got marketing stuff from the Bright Line people and otherwise for a year or so after.)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/temp-mail-disposable-temp/inojafojbhdpnehkhhfjalgjjobnhomj?hl=en
  • cherylgoff9000
    cherylgoff9000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For those wondering about BLE, I got ‘cha!!

I am in my 50’s, female and have a mean case of Hashimotos. Losing weight for me is super difficult. It is not a scam at all. You can borrow the book at your local library, or purchase it and have all you need to start and run the program and this is all some people do/need. I liked that it was very simple, and helped me rediscover accurate portions. You do not have to purchase more than the book!!! However, I did purchase the 14 day program to try it with the extra videos, motivation etc. and failed miserably. However, I could see the value of this program and jumped into boot camp, which cost me $500-$100 discount coupon you can get from a “Bright Lifer” from any Facebook bright line eating page. A total stranger stepped up and offered me that coupon by the way! So, for $400, I had unlimited BLE support, videos, group conference calls, email support, recipes, etc. and lost 15 pounds from Oct-Dec, 3 of the hardest dieting months. I was able to learn to eat out successfully as well as have people over and eat the same foods, eat dinner at family gatherings etc. I love the program! No pre-packed weird foods, or meetings or whatever people do in other meal programs. Just simple common sense with an understanding of why and how we gain weight.

**** THE most important aspect about BLE that nobody has mentioned yet here is the why behind it. As others have mentioned, Susan Pierce Thompson is a neuroscientist as well as a recovered drug and food addict. She walks the walk, but her book will explain how certain substances stimulate pleasure centers in the brain that can become desensitized through certain repeated food choices. Removing these types of foods allows the brain to rest from this overstimulation and literally heal from
    insulin overage and lepton resistance. As one who has gone through the cycle of eating BLE then falling off, getting back on, etc. I can see my entire metabolic problems shift when I eat this way and yep she’s got science to back it up. I’m not a food addict (6 on her susceptibility scale) and my husband is a 10 and it has worked VERY well when we stick to it. Hope that helps somebody.
  • kshama2001
    edited January 2020
    Options
    For those wondering about BLE, I got ‘cha!!

I am in my 50’s, female and have a mean case of Hashimotos. Losing weight for me is super difficult. It is not a scam at all. You can borrow the book at your local library, or purchase it and have all you need to start and run the program and this is all some people do/need. I liked that it was very simple, and helped me rediscover accurate portions. You do not have to purchase more than the book!!! However, I did purchase the 14 day program to try it with the extra videos, motivation etc. and failed miserably. However, I could see the value of this program and jumped into boot camp, which cost me $500-$100 discount coupon you can get from a “Bright Lifer” from any Facebook bright line eating page. A total stranger stepped up and offered me that coupon by the way! So, for $400, I had unlimited BLE support, videos, group conference calls, email support, recipes, etc. and lost 15 pounds from Oct-Dec, 3 of the hardest dieting months. I was able to learn to eat out successfully as well as have people over and eat the same foods, eat dinner at family gatherings etc. I love the program! No pre-packed weird foods, or meetings or whatever people do in other meal programs. Just simple common sense with an understanding of why and how we gain weight.

**** THE most important aspect about BLE that nobody has mentioned yet here is the why behind it. As others have mentioned, Susan Pierce Thompson is a neuroscientist as well as a recovered drug and food addict. She walks the walk, but her book will explain how certain substances stimulate pleasure centers in the brain that can become desensitized through certain repeated food choices. Removing these types of foods allows the brain to rest from this overstimulation and literally heal from
    insulin overage and lepton resistance. As one who has gone through the cycle of eating BLE then falling off, getting back on, etc. I can see my entire metabolic problems shift when I eat this way and yep she’s got science to back it up. I’m not a food addict (6 on her susceptibility scale) and my husband is a 10 and it has worked VERY well when we stick to it. Hope that helps somebody.

Hi Cheryl - glad BLE is working for you.

Actually, lots of people on page 1 mentioned the science, for example:
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    The scientist behind Bright Line Eating is not a psychologist, she’s a neuroscientist, who has researched brain function and food. It’s not woo; it’s science. Read the book. Those who follow it lose a lot of weight, and then it’s sustainable on a real food maintenance regimen once you reach goal weight. The program includes lots of support. Anyone who has weight to lose should check it out.

I don't remember any science in the book with which I disagreed. But her conclusion is that it is impossible to lose weight unless you only eat three meals a day and stop eating flour and added sugar/dried fruit/fruit juice, which just isn't true.
    Exactly.

The book I mentioned I'm reading, I'm currently at the part how humans measure food value in terms of effort. While it's true, imagine building a strategy that has you exercising before every single food intake and choosing what to include in your meal based on the calorie burn. Unnecessary, unsustainable, socially inconvenient, and can be outright harmful mentally and physically.

Now, how about this? You could keep effort low for low calorie items by having them easily accessible and ready (example: prepped vegetables, prepared chicken, ready to eat yogurt..etc) and some more problematic higher calorie foods harder to obtain (example: having to go to the shop in order to buy ice cream instead of having it in the house).

Same science, completely different strategies, one is reasonable the other isn't. Saying you won't lose weight unless you exercise before every food intake is taking it to a whole new level of woo.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm curious if there are any people here who have been on maintenance on Bright Light Eating for at least a year?

I wonder about people in zombie threads sometimes too. Have they found the right plan for them and didn't need MFP anymore or have they moved on to different things?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I'm curious if there are any people here who have been on maintenance on Bright Light Eating for at least a year?

I wonder about people in zombie threads sometimes too. Have they found the right plan for them and didn't need MFP anymore or have they moved on to different things?

After listening to the "How To Identify Your Diet Cycle Triggers" episode of the Half Size Me podcast https://www.halfsizeme.com/hsm411/ yesterday, my vote is cycling over to a different thing.