Veins?!

Options
I have been barely exercising (walking) 3-4 times per week (30-45 minutes each time) and lightly lifting weights (5-8 pound dumbbells and a weight machine with basically a pull rope/row type thing) about 2X per week. I have placed emphasis on my legs, arms and chest. I noticed today (hours after exercising) that veins are clearly visible running across my collar bone. I am pale so there’s always been a shadow of them but now...geez! Anyone experience this? I’m guessing this is a side effect of weight lifting?

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    No. It’s a side effect of having decreased fat under your skin covering them or dehydration.

What about your back? You know, the set of muscles that hold everything in place and aligned.

Even runners get vascular. My gf lifts 4x a week but has no veins due to a higher body fat percentage. I lift 1 more day a week than her and have extremely prominent veins. All due to body fat percentage.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Not in my neck. But I usually have a celebration if I get a good bicep vein or something around my hips.
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    No. It’s a side effect of having decreased fat under your skin covering them or dehydration.

What about your back? You know, the set of muscles that hold everything in place and aligned.

Even runners get vascular. My gf lifts 4x a week but has no veins due to a higher body fat percentage. I lift 1 more day a week than her and have extremely prominent veins. All due to body fat percentage.

Could be dehydration, I thought I was noticing symptoms of dehydration and have increased water consumption the past 48 hours. But I’d imagine I’m well hydrated by now. The veins literally look closer to the surface.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Some of us have veins closer to the surface. It's summer here and thanks to the heat, my arms are a phlebotomist's dream. When you get hot, your veins get larger, to help cool you, also, when you exercise, the increased blood flow makes them more prominent too. Perfectly normal, and nothing to worry about.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    google vascularity. When you workout, your body has to pump more blood to your muscles, so your veins get more prominent and depending on things like your body fat or skin thickness etc they will be more or less visible. To some its very desirable.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have been barely exercising (walking) 3-4 times per week (30-45 minutes each time) and lightly lifting weights (5-8 pound dumbbells and a weight machine with basically a pull rope/row type thing) about 2X per week. I have placed emphasis on my legs, arms and chest. I noticed today (hours after exercising) that veins are clearly visible running across my collar bone. I am pale so there’s always been a shadow of them but now...geez! Anyone experience this? I’m guessing this is a side effect of weight lifting?

I know it's not answering your question but you might want to follow an actual lifting programme, you'll get better results.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    OP: Doesn't sound like you exercise enoough or have BF low enough to explain the vascularity, especially for a woman.

Are the veins just more visible or actually protruding from the skin and is the effect constant or just temporary?

FWIW, few men have the upper chest vascularity that you describe. I have some but it is not always protruding even w/only 10% BF.

So, I'd say your experience is uncommon but it's unlikely, based on what you've said so far, to be a cause for concern.
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    OP: Doesn't sound like you exercise enoough or have BF low enough to explain the vascularity, especially for a woman.

Are the veins just more visible or actually protruding from the skin and is the effect constant or just temporary?

FWIW, few men have the upper chest vascularity that you describe. I have some but it is not always protruding even w/only 10% BF.

So, I'd say your experience is uncommon but it's unlikely, based on what you've said so far, to be a cause for concern.

Fully under the skin but becoming more visible to the point that I can see connections and such. Doesn’t seem to be a concern but it did freak me out
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Fully under the skin but becoming more visible to the point that I can see connections and such. Doesn’t seem to be a concern but it did freak me out

Probably just due to your fair skin and increased blood flow associated w/the exercise you're doing.

If they're not vericose, no need to worry. Just cover up and/or don't look or get a tan (if that's possible. ;)