How to Make Greek Yogurt and Cottage Cheese to Taste good?

Options
Does anybody have recipes that can disguise or alter the taste of greek yogurt or cottage cheese. I am trying to hit my proteins (120g) a day and find it so hard eating chicken everyday. What are some recipes/ meal ideas to make greek yogurt and cottage cheese taste better?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I like cottage cheese mixed with flavoured tuna pouches
  • VelociFit
    VelociFit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I take one of Dannon Oikos's flavored cups of Greek yogurt (like orange sherbert or lemon meringue,) split it into two servings and make up the difference with plain Greek yogurt. (75g of each to make up a single serving.)

But that boils down to adding sugar, basically. Still, I find the citrus-y flavors of yogurt go really well with Greek yogurt's more sour taste.

With cottage cheese, I add a little pepper and eat it with something crunchy, like Melba toast. I like the taste of it on its own, though, so I may not be the best person to consult for hiding the taste.
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I was about to say "throw it out" or "add sugar"...as I for am looong time tried to learn to eat Skyr and ended up giving up.

But for the Greek youghurt you can add garlic and cucumber and end up with tzaziki...which is a wonderful thing
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    There are so many more protein sources than chicken, yoghurt, and cottage cheese. Why are you restricting yourself to those?

I like yoghurt with protein powder mixed through for flavour and sweetness. Sometimes nut butter too. I freeze it for a bit... Yum! Topped with nuts, berries, and cereal is how I eat it lost days as dessert.

I don't eat cottage cheese. I don't need to, and I don't want to. I have yummier things to spend my protein macros on!
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    have you tried oikos greek yogurt in lemon meringue? i guess you are talking about plain yogurt. i have a recipe for mac n cheese made with half cottage cheese if your interested. i like cottage cheese plain so i can't really offer anything else, and greek yogurt i think is great in different flavors. the oikos mayan chocolate is also very good.
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I use plain Greek yoghurt to make savory sauces, usually with garlic or I have made a chipotle lime sauce with it as well.
  • TheSunAndTheRainfall
    Options
    A hefty shake of cinnamon mixed in with the Greek yoghurt goes well with some sliced apple to dip in. Great for satiety too.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    My daughter bought me a few Dannon Greek Crunch, and I love them. They have become my go to for when my sweet tooth hits, cookies and cream is my fav.
  • RollTideHusker
    RollTideHusker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I don’t mind the taste of cottage cheese, so usually eat it plain. My grandma used to add a spoonful of jelly. I do that on occasion for a sweet treat of sorts.
    When I was younger, I’d eat it with a little ranch & sunflower seeds.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you hate it, don't eat it, there are so many other ways to get in protein!

This. I really love greek yogurt and cottage cheese. I am toying with giving up dairy entirely (my own reasons, not of interest here), and those two things plus really good cheese, would be the only things I'd miss. Anyway, because I enjoy them, I don't hide the taste and have used them as a source of protein, but if I didn't like them I would have used some other source.

If you are eating chicken presumably you eat meat, so protein should be easy -- fish, shellfish, turkey, lean pork (chops or tenderloin), lean beef, lamb, venison, on and on. Also beans, lentils, tofus, tempeh, and eggs or egg whites are all options.

I don't like plain skinless chicken breast that much so it was a really rare food for me when I was losing, and I always hit protein (I do love chicken roasted with skin and bones and had that a lot, but other sources of protein more, like fish).
  • kemoon0915
    kemoon0915 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I like adding pineapple to my cottage cheese. It doesn't really make it that much sweeter, but it adds a different texture and a nice flavor. As someone else said, I also use Greek yogurt to make different higher protein sauces, and I also use it in place of mayonnaise in things like tuna/egg/chicken salad etc.
  • marysabetournay
    marysabetournay Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese with fruit or with a 1/2 bagel for breakfast....greek yogourt with fruit, nuts and maple syrup..yummy!
  • marysabetournay
    marysabetournay Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    oh yeah forgot, greek yogourt with horseradish replaces mayo quite nicely!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    don't buy 0%, opt for 3-6%, tastes much much better
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    One of the ways I enjoy full fat cottage cheese is to mix in salt, pepper, minced garlic or onion and then whip it in a small bowl with a hand blender to get out the lumps. After that I cover the top with several layers of cheese cloth and invert it into a colander and let it drain. As it drains, remove the bowl and I gradually squeeze the liquid out and it creates a kind of soft cheese spread that is really great with celery and other vegetables. I also like using it as sort of a filling for lettuce wraps and I sprinkle in ancient seeds and grains to give it a crunch. You can do the same thing with yogurt. It's called lebneh.

See this page: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/greek-yogurt-labneh-51134560
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    With cottage cheese I just grab a water flavourer like Mio and squirt in a bit.
  • aniracace
    aniracace Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I dislike plain greek yogurt so I always add agave and berries. If you add enough sweetner, it

a) cancels the healthiness of the dish due to the ridiculous amount of sugar added
    b) makes you wonder why you're forcing yourself to eat something you don't like
    c) makes you reconsider your dietary choices as you dump / give away the rest and grab a snack you actually like

As for protein, so many foods have protein ... other than chicken. There's:

- Almonds / almond butter
    - Pumpkin seeds
    - Lentils
    - Chickpeas / Garbanzo beans
    - Tofu
    - Quinoa
    - Hemp seeds
    - Peanut butter / peanuts
    - Walnuts
    - Hazlenuts
    - Flaxseed
    - Pistachios

Just to name a few
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @5738_Cassiel you have orovided a great list of fat sources. @lemurcat12 list is far better for protein sources.

OP life is too short to limit yourself to three protein sources that you don’t love. Find your love.
  • aniracace
    aniracace Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    @jgnatca

I see. While they may be fat sources, don't they also offer protein?