Looking for alternatives

Options
Vegan and Plant-based peeps.....what could be used as a substitute for tofu?
I don't consume any soy products. TIA

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    In what way? In entrees? For dips/smoothies? As an egg replacer?

Tofu can serve many functions.

If you're looking to replace it in most entrees, using seitan may work. You can also check out chickpea tofu -- it's soy-free (at least, the ones I have seen are -- check the labels of ones you may find to make sure).

For dips or smoothies, I would recommend coconut or almond yogurt. You can also make your own cashew cream or use coconut milk, depending on what consistency you're looking for.

If you're using it in baked goods to replace egg, try flaxseed meal (1 tablespoon of flaxmeal mixed with 2 tablespoons water can replace one egg), mashed banana, or applesauce (the last two will add sweetness too, of course).

You probably won't be able to find a single product to replace everything that tofu can do, but depending on the function it is serving in the recipe, you will often be able to substitute something else. The trick is just understanding the purpose it is serving in the recipe.
  • ThinGoldLineNS
    ThinGoldLineNS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    This is really good. I found it at Whole Foods. I presume you're looking for meaty alternatives?

BBQ-package.png

You could also jazz up a portobello mushroom.
  • ThinGoldLineNS
    Options
    Thanks, looking for any suggestions to replace tofu in most recipes. I understand it's hard when you don't know which recipe it's for. I've actually never looked for jackfruit at my local supermarket. I'll keep my eyes peeled!
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Seitan?
  • ninalemon
    ninalemon Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I’m not a fan of tofu, if I am doing a stir fry I use beans - white beans or chickpeas. I also blend white beans in place of tofu for sauces (may have to add water to thin).

If you are baking tofu, I would make cauliflower steaks instead. I don’t like veganized meats, so if I want a burger I just make my own black bean burgers.
  • ThinGoldLineNS
    Options
    Seitan?

My daughter has IBS so I need to be careful and avoid gluten as much as possible. But thanks!

• VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Seitan?

My daughter has IBS so I need to be careful and avoid gluten as much as possible. But thanks!
    Seitan?

@ThinGoldLineNS - Apparently there's gluten free Seitan: https://happyherbivore.com/2014/03/gluten-free-seitan-recipe/
    https://happyherbivore.com/2011/09/gluten-free-seitan/ I had no idea there was such a thing.