Program Advice help- Looking to lift weights, burn fat and still Cycle.

Options
raven56706
raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
edited January 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok so im looking for a good program to help me tone the body. I am already in a calorie deficit so im losing weight there and i am using my Peloton bike(riding 6 times a week).

I want to continue lifting weights but not get bulky.

Anyone know if this is possible? and if so, what program would help me achieve this.

The only equipment I have is a bench, Bowflex dumbells, curling bar and Peloton bike.

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    It is very difficult to gain muscle while eating at a deficit - you really shouldn't worry about getting "bulky" no matter what program you use. There's a great thread in the weight gain forum on strength programs: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1 and they're very helpful there if you have specific questions.

General info on muscle gains: https://stronglifts.com/build-muscle/

Toning is a kind of vague marketing term that doesn't really mean anything. If you want your body to look generally better, you'll want to continue losing body fat while doing pretty much any kind of strength work on a regular basis to minimize muscle loss, which should be a much bigger concern for you than muscle gain.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You wont get bulky in a deficit. It is very difficult to gain muscle, esp without trying. You need adequate protein, a caloric surplus, and a well-structured program. Since you are in a deficit you will not get bulky. That said, you still want a good program in order to maintain the muscle you already have.

Check out the link from the first responder and pick one of the dumbell programs that meets your needs.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My routine is broadly speaking alternate days cycling and weight training.

Majority of my weight training is heavy compound lifts but mostly limited to upper body plus accessory exercises for core strength and endurance. My most typical workout would be two upper body push and two pull compound lifts plus core work.
    My leg work in the gym is very limited as normally my legs are recovering from the previous day's cycle training or riding.
    In winter I get to do more leg strength work as my cycling mileage/duration is greatly reduced (roughly speaking down from 30 hours/month to 20 hours/month).

Depending on what you are trying to aim for with your cycling 6 days a week may not be a good idea but you haven't given any clues what your riding goal is.

It's a compromise and a balancing act when you have conflicting goals. There's time when one or the other has to take a back seat and effectively go into maintenance for that aspect while I prioritise the other, before an event for example.

If you don't want to get "bulky" (not really something to worry about when in a deficit anyway!) then don't keep increasing your lifting overload and volume once you achieve whatever goal you mean by "toned". Maintain not progress in other words, typically that means reduced volume and don't push for new PRs. As your equipment is very limited then not progressing may happen naturally as you hit limits of what you have available.

Fat loss is driven by your calorie deficit but that again is a compromise if you are seeking to maintain or improve training performance and exercise recovery.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible. It's what most of us are doing - diet for weight control, lifting and/or cardio for their respective health, fitness, and strength benefits.

Keep your deficit.
    Pick a dumbbell program from the link in the first reply.
    Continue cycling.

You may have to cut back on the cycling a bit, but it will depending on how hard you spin, how hard you lift, and how well you recover. If you're mindful, you can probably go by feel.
  • raven56706
    Options
    the goal is to lose weight while not losing muscle.

My cycling goal is basically not much. i mean i just like cycling. Its a good sweat and strengthens my legs.

right now i am following the IIFYM method and at 2188 . 161 protein, 204 carbs and 76 fat.

• raven56706
    Options
    the only thing i fear is I'm doing the lifting for nothing. I dont want to be skinny fat. thats basically it in a nutshell
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »
    the only thing i fear is I'm doing the lifting for nothing.
    and
    raven56706 wrote: »
    I dont want to be skinny fat. thats basically it in a nutshell

Those 2 statements are in opposition of each other. One of the primary reasons people lift, especially while in a deficit, is to help with body comp goals (skinny fat).
  • rckeeper22
    rckeeper22 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If it helps make you feel better, the more you lift, in theory the more you will learn about your body, what works and what doesn't, and start getting a feel for what programs are most appropriate for your goals and personal situation.

Bodybuilding.com, sources previous folks have mentioned, etc. - all of them are going to have viable programs for you. Pick one, work through it, and see what happens.

Depending on your resources, working with a trainer may also help in terms of tailoring a program to your needs. However, you can accomplish just as much by researching and working on your own - different strokes for different folks. Some just like to have that active guidance to start off.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Do Strong Lifts. It will help you achieve the goals you stated, and also help you improve your performance on the bike. Also the schedule is not very demanding.
  • raven56706
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    How many threads are you going to make? You could make one and google

thanks for the info..
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You're welcome