• Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    19708d1365371785-hope-little-steel-case-ammo-doesnt-hurt-bonjour.jpg

LMAO, are you a French model?
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    After hearing so many people rave about the PolarFT4 I picked one up, $60 or so on Amazon. It has been some interesting feedback. I already had a Fitbit (which I would recommend, it's great for getting an idea of you total activity, not just exercise). I like to get at least two estimates for different workouts (machine readout, Fitbit, HRM, MFP or other online calculator), it is interesting to see just how varied they all can be.

It's all SUCH an estimation, but it's all good data. You can compare your workout one day to the same workout another day. The HRM can be a motivator when I jog ... I try to bump my heart rate up into "the zone" whereas I wouldn't have that feedback without it.
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Not sure using a heart rate monitor will be all that accurate either. Long time ago i used to run with a guy, we would run the same distance (~3 miles in about 16 - 17 minutes) at the same speed and at the end we woudl check our pulse rates. Mine would typically be over 150 his would typically be under 110.

Thats because the monitor is calculating your body speciifically. unless you have the same weight, height, fat and muscle mass it wont be the same.
    Your heart is like a snowflake - there arent 2 the same

Except that HR is only loosely tied to calorie burns.

If something startles me, my HR goes up. Caffeine causes elevated HR. Am I burning more calories watching a scary movie or drinking soda? What if I do both at the same time???

im a smoker which slows your heart rate yet at rest my heart rate is 120 lol maybe i should drink pop and watch scary movies while smoking

Smoking actually INCREASES your heart rate, not slows it.
  • whyhelloheart
    whyhelloheart Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and I bought it off of Amazon for like $68. It is amazing. It has honestly changed the way I workout. Buy one! :D
  • Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else on the FT4. I have the pink one. I got in from Amazon for $60 and love it! If you plan on running at night, my ONLY gripe is that the watch is not backlit. The higher end models have this feature.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 that I love

As for MFP estimations, I think it's different for everyone. For me, I found that as long as I keep my exercise around 20 minutes, MFP, my HRM and the machine are usually within 10-15 calories of each other no matter what type of exercise I am doing. But the longer I go, the farther apart all of the numbers go. But, I know others are way off from the beginning.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    generally reliable on weights. The weights part may just be because I have a couple problems that cause me to rest a bit more between sets (at least it did at the time I used the HRM during weights) than what I observed of those around me. If i rested less it may have over calculated for my weights as others have found.

I HRM is not reliable at all for weights nor is it meant to be used for lifting. Your HR isn't steadily elevated for it to work properly and gives exaggerated numbers.
  • REDMANIV
    REDMANIV Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I bought my Polar FT60 off of Amazon and I absolutely love it. I have noticed that MFP is actually showing that I have burned less calories than my heart rate monitor shows when I enter in cardio activities. Training with a heart rate monitor is nice as you get a very accurate account of how many calories you have burned during your activity.

Even if you do not buy your heart rate monitor though Amazon, I found it very informative to read the reviews from the different people who had bought the model of HRM that I ended up with.

Do your research and find out which one you think will work best for you and the types of activities you will be doing. I like the FT60 because of the different programs that you can select depending on your goal ie, weight loss, improve fitness or maximize fitness as an example. Once you start the program, the program on the HRM sets weekly goals for you to attain such as duration goals, calorie burned goals and zone goals.

Good luck and hope that his helps.

FR
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I have just bought my Polar FT7 yesterday. I can people are happy with it. I will find out today how much mfp has been over estimating my calories. I hope it is not too far off. Really excited about it:)
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have had most polar ones at one time or another the FT40 was definitely my fave but I dont believe they sell it anymore (at least they dont in australia) i would have bought it again if i could have :) I currently have a suunto and i really like it...i dont like them when they have too many features,...i like a more simplistic approach....i really like the screen on the suunto its so clear and not cramped IMO like the polars are.
  • coll_6
    coll_6 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I personally love my Polar Ft40... Has a chest strap- which I dont mind and transmits HR to watch. The watch beeps when you get below or above your target heart rate for optimal calorie burn (calculated byt the personal data you enter in) PLus..it comes in pink so I was SOLD ;)

I have the same one and love it, I got mine off amazon for a great price
  • Yourdonis
    Yourdonis Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i just got the Polar Ft4...about 150 dollars i love it!

I see this one online at target for $60.00. IS yours the FT4 OR FT40?
  • Yourdonis
    Options
    Can't you just use how much you SWEAT as a gauge???? Why use a HRM anyway? So you can eat more? Please splain.
    Thank you!

In my case, I use a heart rate monitor for steady-state cardio so I can be reasonably close in my daily calorie intake. I am trying to maintain, so I don't want to work out and eat too little, nor do I want to work out and eat too much.

Yeah this is the main reason why i am looking to invest in one. I want to be as accurate as possible with what Im burning vs. what I am eating.
  • Yourdonis
    Options
    I personally love my Polar Ft40... Has a chest strap- which I dont mind and transmits HR to watch. The watch beeps when you get below or above your target heart rate for optimal calorie burn (calculated byt the personal data you enter in) PLus..it comes in pink so I was SOLD ;)

The FT40 is what I have as well and love it. Go with any of the Polar models and you will be fine. The FT4 and FT7 are great entry models too and will usually have the features most need and want. If you go with any non chest strap type device just know it wont be overly accurate. I use the polar products with every activity I do and love them!

Thanks, I think I have narrowed it down to either the FT4 OR FT40. I just have to do a bit more research to find the best price and which one will really serve me best. Thanks Everybody. Your advice is much appreciated :-)
  • sw0301
    sw0301 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

The FT40 is what I have as well and love it. Go with any of the Polar models and you will be fine. The FT4 and FT7 are great entry models too and will usually have the features most need and want. If you go with any non chest strap type device just know it wont be overly accurate. I use the polar products with every activity I do and love them!

Thanks, I think I have narrowed it down to either the FT4 OR FT40. I just have to do a bit more research to find the best price and which one will really serve me best. Thanks Everybody. Your advice is much appreciated :-)

The one from Target is for males, may be large. http://www.bodytronics.com/p/polar_heart_rate_monitors/POFT4 Women's is $63 here!
  • caitlynah12
    Options
    bump !
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    Thanks...
  • stkr
    stkr Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks for the info. :smile: It's time for me to do some research/shopping.
  • vaisht22
    vaisht22 Posts: 1
    Options
    Just ordered the Polar FT4 after reading the comments in this thread, hope it won't disappoint :)
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Not sure using a heart rate monitor will be all that accurate either. Long time ago i used to run with a guy, we would run the same distance (~3 miles in about 16 - 17 minutes) at the same speed and at the end we woudl check our pulse rates. Mine would typically be over 150 his would typically be under 110.

That could mean that he was just in better shape than you.