Options
2»

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    No need to do ANY ab specific exercises (like situps, crunches, planks or whatever) IF you are doing compound weight lifting and body weight exercises.

Commonly rcommended programs for all beginners are Starting Strength and Stronglifts and for women Strong Curves is often mentioned. The main lifts to do are: deadlifts, squats, bench press and overhead press.

I developed a visible 6 pack just doing these lifts plus pullups, pushups and dips while also dropping my BF down to 10%.

Losing weight and BF is critical to obtaining visible abs but all of the lifts and exercises mentioned will strengthen your core w/o doing an ab specific exercise even if they do not become visible.

Whatecvr you oo, DO NOT do any situps or crunches because they are of limited benefit and substantialy increase the risk of injury to your lower back.

Root cause. Nice work.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638078/60-minutes-per-month-plank-challenge-february-2018/

Planks. Not difficult to do, and work very well at strengthening your abdominal muscles. Many variations exist such as other posters have mentioned. Join us, set your own goal and be consistent. That's all it really takes.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hollow rocks are the only “planks “ worth doing if planking is something you are intent on doing. Otherwise, planking is dumb. Go Tabata on them.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hollow rocks are the only “planks “ worth doing if planking is something you are intent on doing. Otherwise, planking is dumb. Go Tabata on them.

I was sort of surprised this wasn't mentioned sooner.

Also that list of planks- a lot of people assume plank = static/holding movement but a lot of those are done in movement- so knee to elbow and return- knee to elbow- return.

Not just- hold the knee to the elbow.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    And most importantly: Find exercises you like to do. If you don't like it, move on to another. And as people have pointed out, lots of exercises work the abdominal muscles.

I don't think I have seen it mentioned yet: Leg raises. Horizontal/Vertical, straight leg/bent leg.

Whatever you do, if you keep your core stable during exercises you work them already. When I do deadlifts I engage my core. When I do chest flies, overhead press, etc, I engage my core.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

RKC planks are where it's at :)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Indeed! Hardstyle!!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Also that list of planks- a lot of people assume plank = static/holding movement but a lot of those are done in movement- so knee to elbow and return- knee to elbow- return.

These are fine, but more advanced versions. The OP said they were weak in the core area.
  • Juan2manyTacos
    Juan2manyTacos Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sit ups=waste of time=no bueno
    Planks, yoga, leg lifts.
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Slap a plate on your back too.
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

These are fine, but more advanced versions. The OP said they were weak in the core area.
    And boring dumb planks won’t do twiddly.
  • ashleyrebekah392
    ashleyrebekah392 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Russian twists and dumbbell side bends! Always feel them like crazy! Love the burnnnnn
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Hanging leg raises, ab rollouts, squats, deadlifts, and standing over head presses are the staple of my routine.