Women’s Health Question about Resting Heart Rate

Options
I bought a fit bit on 1st January, which means resting heart rate (RHR) is a new thing for me to monitor. My RHR is normally about 60 bpm, which I’m fairly happy with. However, I have noticed that my period causes my RHR to drop fairly suddenly over the course of just hours to 45bpm, it stays there for about 24 hours before starting to steadily rise again over the next 24 hours towards it’s usual level.

During those 48 hours, I have no energy, find it difficult to concentrate and have a head ache. All I want to do is sleep.

Have any other ladies out there experienced a sudden significant drop in RHR during their period? If so what if anything did you do about it?

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I do not menstruate so have not experienced this first-hand, but according to this study I just found because I was curious, it is common for resting heart rate to be higher during ovulation and lower during menstruation. I didn't see anything related to the suddenness of the drop, though. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11100398
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,522 Member
    Options
    Some people react with a drop in HR when they have a low blood pressure. And some woman lose salt before/during their menstruation thus maybe it's something like that. Have you tried increasing your salt intake when you feel so miserable?