Low carb diet did not work for me !

Options
2»

Replies

• deekring
    deekring Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I tried it also. 20 carbs per day. I lost 10 lbs fairly quickly and then slowly started gaining it back. I truly think I was eating fewer calories at first and then later ate too many while still staying under 20 carbs. For me, I need to focus on calories and portions.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I also find carbs more satiating. I tried Atkins, back when it was so popular. I got so *kitten*y, my hubby threw a cookie at me and ordered me to eat it. No carbs makes me uber-crabby.

Have a Snickers

:)

Yuck! No. I hate Snickers. How about a Skor?
  • chispaza
    chispaza Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I also find carbs more satiating. I tried Atkins, back when it was so popular. I got so *kitten*y, my hubby threw a cookie at me and ordered me to eat it. No carbs makes me uber-crabby.

Have a Snickers

I'll take your Snickers, I love them.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    chispaza wrote: »

Have a Snickers

I'll take your Snickers, I love them.

If you can beat mom to them. ;)
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Yes, been on the low carb train. I am obviously a slow learner because I have been unsuccessful at it several times now. Smh. I can keep my carbs low but not my cals. I am a volume eater so to have to limit veggies and almost completely cut out fruits it makes it hard for me to bulk up my meals with enough volume to stay satiated. I do lose about 3-5lbs water weight within days of going super low carb and my tummy flattens but then it stalls and I quit losing because at 5’1 133lbs I don’t have a ton of calories to play with. Low cal volume foods for the win for me!!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    It's very individual. I don't eat a ton of refined carbs, but mostly because there is very little volume for the impact they make in my daily calories. Anything that cuts out the better part of an entire food group I see as being a bit of a "fad."

Gotta do what works for you and your body and situation. I've actually had to start adding a few more carbs back in (still try to avoid refined grains/sugars for the most part) as I found my recovery from my workouts was MUCH better with a few more carbs. Go figure.
  • Hottlieb
    Hottlieb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    squeeeyk wrote: »
    Hottlieb wrote: »
    I know plenty of people who lost weight on Atkins or some variance of the “Low-Carb diet” and most of them gained it back and then some.

I mean...you could say that about any diet. The statistics aren't fantastic when you look at who is successful at keeping the weight off. If there was such a successful diet then the fitness and weight loss industry wouldn't be booming.
    Without getting into all of the science: Carbs retain more water and anybody who steer’s clear of one macronutrient is bound for failure OR to a lesser degree, a pretty bad binging eventually.

I think that's variable as well. Many people have been successful in changing their relationship with food by limiting carbs. I also mean limiting and not cutting out the entire macro. Anecdotally, for me, reducing sugars and carbs has drastically improved my health and my attitudes towards foods.

I wasn’t making a blanket statement, but I think you know that.

My 2nd statement might have been made in haste, however I don’t think it’s variable. Limiting and cutting out are 2 separate things as we both pointed out. If you could show me someone who has cut out a macro completely (not cycling, doing it for a couple of months, etc...), I’ll show you somebody with a problem.

The main point here is like you said: One’s relationship to food. Everybody is different.
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    So like...you could eat a balanced diet. And lose weight. HOLY CRAP!

That can’t be true!!!!!
  • vasinger1
    vasinger1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Update: I forgot to add while trying the low carb diet I was having a lot of red meat and hamburgers. For some reason, I tend to gain weight on that- even if my calories are in check. I was aiming for 2,000 calories but always went up to 2500, because I did "cheat" a lot with ice cream stuff and other junk food. I find that eating high protein or high fat doesn't necessarily keep me any fuller than eating carbs. It just was hard to stick to. So I decided instead to try high fiber/low fat. I eat very little red meat- more fish, vegetables, but I also allow myself "No no" foods such as bagels (I'm not even Jewish, lol), and bread, spaghetti, pizza, etc. I avoid "trigger" foods- I find that pancakes make me gain weight and so do high fat hamburgers. So I guess it really is different for every person.
  • CircleJerkk
    CircleJerkk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, low carb high fat works well for me. I'm almost never hungry and love what I eat. I still watch calories, of course. I can't gain weight if I don't eat in surplus. Simple
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Good points FlyingMolly. I would add that the other thing about most (not all) low fat diets is that by substituting simple carbs they can alter blood sugar (glucose) and cause the body to store the excess glucose as energy (fat). Correlation is not cause and effect but there is a very strong correlation between the rise of obesity, Type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance . and cardiovascular disease with the recommendations to eat low fat/high carb issued by many government and other organizations for the past few decades.

vasinger, pleased you found something that works for you.

1) There is no net storage of any substrate while in a caloric deficit.

2) De novo lipogenesis (creating fat from carbohydrates) is a lot more rare and limited than most people think it is. And it doesn't magically happen because you eat a few simple carbs.

QFT! Lol about this post getting 4 woos. Straight up science.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Good points FlyingMolly. I would add that the other thing about most (not all) low fat diets is that by substituting simple carbs they can alter blood sugar (glucose) and cause the body to store the excess glucose as energy (fat). Correlation is not cause and effect but there is a very strong correlation between the rise of obesity, Type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance . and cardiovascular disease with the recommendations to eat low fat/high carb issued by many government and other organizations for the past few decades.

vasinger, pleased you found something that works for you.

1) There is no net storage of any substrate while in a caloric deficit.

2) De novo lipogenesis (creating fat from carbohydrates) is a lot more rare and limited than most people think it is. And it doesn't magically happen because you eat a few simple carbs.

QFT! Lol about this post getting 4 woos. Straight up science.

The truth isn't popular when people are looking for magic. :)
  • vasinger1
    vasinger1 Posts: 11 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Well, the point is, I felt hungry on the low carb diet, but on the high carb diet I do not. So, I just thought I'd share that information with the world. Because we kept getting told that carbs are the devil and we'll get fat from eating a baked potato.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    vasinger1 wrote: »
    Well, the point is, I felt hungry on the low carb diet, but on the high carb diet I do not. So, I just thought I'd share that information with the world.

Not surprising. The contention that fat is more satiating than protein or carbs isn't a universal truth.
  • LillianNewman
    LillianNewman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have to be on low carb because I have prediabetes. I got my blood sugar down from 147 to 85. The first couple of weeks are full of hunger cravings. Stick with it, because your body adjusts then you are hardly ever hungry. I have lost 15 lbs in 20 days. Prefer low carb to low fat.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    LCHF - it works for me.

Different horses for different course.

Glad you found what works for you!