What to do with bar olives???

Options
2»

Replies

• kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    mskimee wrote: »
    Same with sun-dried tomatoes! The oil is a pain to log and the calories are listed as "per 100g drained" but how drained is drained when it comes to oil? Is it so the oil no ,longer drips or on a paper towel and patted dry?? I feel your pain and I'm interested to see others solution to this!!
    You can buy these in a dry pack. Just soak in water.

Chopped-Sun-Dried-Tomatoes.jpg
  • boomerising
    boomerising Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    a quick google search seems to suggest 16-20 calories per greek olive.
    That's hard to swallow… pun intended. Even if accurate for market bar olives I think I'd cap it at 15 calories based on rinsing off some of the oil.

There was an entry in the database from "Jason's Deli" that gave 25 calories for 2 olives, which my gut said was the right number, but I couldn't use the entry because it also came up with more than 2000 mg of sodium out of the blue. That would wack out my daily totals pretty much every day, and there's no way there is THAT much salt in the olives I buy after rinsing them. (I'm hypertensive so it's a concern as you can see from my index card tool.)
  • boomerising
    Options
    Oh yes!!! I used to buy the dried packaged tomatoes, different brand but same idea as in @kam26001 's photo. Talk about a bucket of salt, OMG. A lot of it does come out if you soak them a while. Then I'd dry them with paper toweling and add a little bit of olive oil and maybe some garlic and herbs to them. Yum!!!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You could do the same to the olives. Why don't you buy a jarred version, remove some of the brine, and add in your own oil/vinegar/herb mix to the jar. Then you can calculate the dressing that you have added to the jar that already has calorie info. Let the jar sit for a bit so the flavors marinate.
  • boomerising
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Here's an ounce of the olives I like to eat:
    gmyo7xkc6n4u.jpg

Based on this little bite of personal reality and on the brief write-up from Livestrong (not that they are any paragon of accuracy) linked below, I think 10 calories per olive is probably okay. My original gut feeling of 25 calories for 2 may be closer to the mark. When I eat the tiny Leccino olives I just count 3 or 4 of them as one. The others, I assume, average out. Not super-critical as long as I'm eating a reasonable portion, as someone said, which is especially important for a hypertensive individual not knowing how much salt is in the market olives. (Another argument in favor of buying jarred mixtures.) Thanks to all who offered helpful comments for settling this question, or as settled as I ever get anyway :)

https://livestrong.com/article/296457-how-many-calories-does-an-olive-have/