Motivation

Options
Hey all, im a really really big girl
Looking to lose weight and get healthy. Silly question I’m not keen with going to the gym at my size so is walking around my living room goodexcercise? I don’t get much chance to go out and walk so after work im Looking to walk round in circles in my living room. I know it sounds silly but do you think it will help. As I say I’m a huge girl so will prob only manage 10 mins a day. Any advice will be greatful

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, the most effective thing you can do, is eat less. MFP gives you a calorie target to hit to lose weight without suffering. If you follow the instructions, and log your food intake correctly, and do it for long enough, you lose weight. Moderate exercise is good for you. Exercise you actually do, is superior to any other exercise.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Losing weight just takes eating less calories than we burn so exercise isn't actually essential. It can help create more of a calorie deficit plus its good for us.

Log your food accurately and honestly - every single thing you eat and if you stay consistently within your allotted calorie allowance you will lose weight.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    What they said^ Weight loss is all about calorie deficit, which is mostly what you eat.

In terms of fun exercises from home, check youtube. I use FitnessBlender videos, most of which have zero equipment and can be done in a living room. A lot of videos are under 10 minutes.
  • Ireallywanttoloseweight1980
    Options
    Thanks guys,, yes the calorie intake is big thing to me, how do I go from eating everything to virtually nothing without starving!!
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Thanks guys,, yes the calorie intake is big thing to me, how do I go from eating everything to virtually nothing without starving!!
    Have you tried other weightloss strategies before? The calorie intake MFP gives you, is certainly not "virtually nothing". You are not going to starve. You are going to "eat off" your fat stores as well as the food you eat every day. If you use food as comfort and entertainment, it will be a big change, though. You will have to find other things to do, and other ways to cope.
    Options
    Yes I comfort eat a lot, trying my hardest to resist crisps and chocolate, I used to eat 4 bags of crisps per day and big bags of m&ms and that’s just for starters. But need to stop with the excuses now, I’m obese but want to get healthy.
  • Happysoul0317
    Happysoul0317 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It's going to be really tough. Sounds like you're tougher than this challenge, though. Yes. Any activity will help, but like everyone has said, you've got to be honest with your food logging. I find it easier if I eat pretty much the same thing at the same time of day. Lots of salad (very little dressing or vinegar), lean protein like baked chicken. It's going to be trial and error for you and you're probably going to be discouraged from time to time but you can totally handle this. It's a lifestyle change. Commit to it because you deserve to be happy and healthy! It's going to take time. They say it takes 21 days to change a habit. It's a tough 21 days, but you can totally kick the crap out of this!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Yes I comfort eat a lot, trying my hardest to resist crisps and chocolate, I used to eat 4 bags of crisps per day and big bags of m&ms and that’s just for starters. But need to stop with the excuses now, I’m obese but want to get healthy.

You have to want this badly enough. Have ONE pack of crisps and a mini bag of m&ms - savour the taste slowly. But that's it. And just think of all the calories you will have saved by not having more. Now keep practising doing that every day. It's not about deprivation it's about moderation.

• kommodevaran
    Options
    Think about why you spend a lot of effort on resisting. Do you buy more than one bag of crisps? Do you buy chocolate? If you don't buy it, you can't eat it. But what is the alternative? Tell us what you'll be doing instead. Many people replace unhealthy habits with other unhealthy habits, and go right back to their old unhealthy habits.
  • Emeraldreign
    Emeraldreign Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hey all, im a really really big girl
    Looking to lose weight and get healthy. Silly question I’m not keen with going to the gym at my size so is walking around my living room goodexcercise? I don’t get much chance to go out and walk so after work im Looking to walk round in circles in my living room. I know it sounds silly but do you think it will help. As I say I’m a huge girl so will prob only manage 10 mins a day. Any advice will be greatful
    Think about why you spend a lot of effort on resisting. Do you buy more than one bag of crisps? Do you buy chocolate? If you don't buy it, you can't eat it. But what is the alternative? Tell us what you'll be doing instead. Many people replace unhealthy habits with other unhealthy habits, and go right back to their old unhealthy habits.

Ten minutes is an awesome start. Good for you. You are basically doing the couch to 5k starting with 10 minutes. In a month make it 20. YEA!!!! YOU.
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies. I now haven’t had a bag of m&ms and crisps for 2 days!! Seems like nothing but for me that’s a huge deal. I brought some skinny popcorn and ww mini cookies to see if that will stop my cravings. Your advice is very helpful, thanks you