Down eight pounds in seven weeks. Sharing my TDEE spreadsheet.

Options
2»

Replies

• DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Just curious. What do you think your tdee is and why do you think that?
  • marthamayhemmfp
    marthamayhemmfp Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    DevilsFan1 wrote: »

I'm 27 years old, 5'1", and I clock in 30k+ steps a day. I've never seen people with similar heights and activity levels and accurate logging habits report having to eat such a low number to maintain. I was expecting closer to ~2000 calories.
  • DevilsFan1
    Options

I'm 27 years old, 5'1", and I clock in 30k+ steps a day. I've never seen people with similar heights and activity levels and accurate logging habits report having to eat such a low number to maintain. I was expecting closer to ~2000 calories.

What do you mean by 30k steps per day? If you have a 2.5 foot stride, that works out to around 14 miles. Are you walking an additional 14 miles a day in addition to your regular activity or are you just using a pedometer or activity tracker to track your steps? It makes a big difference in the calculations.

Your sheet said you weigh around 115. Running an online calculator says your TDEE is 1433 for sedentary activity. I seriously doubt you are burning 500 calories a day by simply tracking steps.

Weight loss comes down to CICO. Caloric intake is CI. TDEE is CO. A 500 calorie per day deficit will yield a loss of one pound in a week. The sheet simply takes the data you input and does that calculation. There's nothing mystical about it. It's as good as the data you put into it.

Keep in mind that for most people, a 10% error in TDEE wouldn't be surprising given errors in scales and food labels.
  • marthamayhemmfp
    Options

What do you mean by 30k steps per day? If you have a 2.5 foot stride, that works out to around 14 miles. Are you walking an additional 14 miles a day in addition to your regular activity or are you just using a pedometer or activity tracker to track your steps? It makes a big difference in the calculations.

Your sheet said you weigh around 115. Running an online calculator says your TDEE is 1433 for sedentary activity. I seriously doubt you are burning 500 calories a day by simply tracking steps.

Weight loss comes down to CICO. Caloric intake is CI. TDEE is CO. A 500 calorie per day deficit will yield a loss of one pound in a week. The sheet simply takes the data you input and does that calculation. There's nothing mystical about it. It's as good as the data you put into it.

Keep in mind that for most people, a 10% error in TDEE wouldn't be surprising given errors in scales and food labels.

Really? Would you please elaborate on that doubt? I know all activity is not equal, but I am always up and about. I use an activity tracker. I take intentional walks three times a day, and I have an active job.
    Indeed, that's correct. I'm not new, and I've read all the stickies here.
  • DevilsFan1
    Options

Really? Would you please elaborate on that doubt? I know all activity is not equal, but I am always up and about. I use an activity tracker. I take intentional walks three times a day, and I have an active job.

How long are your walks and how strenuous are they? At your weight, a one-mile walk at a moderate pace will burn around 35 calories. So if you're taking three one-mile walks per day that would work out to around 100 calories expended due to exercise. If you're walking five miles per walk, then we're getting into the range of 500 calories burned due to exercise.
  • marthamayhemmfp
    Options

How long are your walks and how strenuous are they? At your weight, a one-mile walk at a moderate pace will burn around 35 calories. So if you're taking three one-mile walks per day that would work out to around 100 calories expended due to exercise. If you're walking five miles per walk, then we're getting into the range of 500 calories burned due to exercise.

~Two hours for the first one and ~1.5 hours for the others. I'd say moderate pace is the right description. I live in a hilly area, so it's a mix of terrain. I use my recovery day to walk only on flat land.
  • DevilsFan1
    edited February 2018
    Options

~Two hours for the first one and ~1.5 hours for the others. I'd say moderate pace is the right description. I live in a hilly area, so it's a mix of terrain. I use my recovery day to walk only on flat land.

Hmm. I don't know. My intuition is that there was a data entry error somewhere but who knows? Anyway, sorry it didn't work out for you.
  • marthamayhemmfp
    Options

Hmm. I don't know. My intuition is that there was a data entry error somewhere but who knows? Anyway, sorry it didn't work out for you.

Perhaps. It's evening where I live, and I'm too tired to check right now. Haha. I'll look over it tomorrow, just in case. Yeah. I'm glad it worked for you and many others though. Thanks for all the replies! :)
  • DevilsFan1
    Options

Perhaps. It's evening where I live, and I'm too tired to check right now. Haha. I'll look over it tomorrow, just in case. Yeah. I'm glad it worked for you and many others though. Thanks for all the replies! :)

If you try again, my suggestion would be only enter the last two months of data. Less chance for error and data from a year ago probably isn't even relevant to your current situation.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I plugged in my data from Jan 8 the to today and the TDEE it came back with is about what I expected.
  • Jilliankosto
    Jilliankosto Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Do you know where I can find an accurate tool for calories burned during exercise? For example I have a treadmill I use at various speeds and inclines and the other day I used it for 90 minutes, when I logged it in MFP under “stair-treadmill ergometer,general” it says I burned 1,001 calories- seems kinda high?

Second question- when inputting daily calories do I put the amount after exercise? The reason I ask is because it seems ridiculously low, going back to the example of the other day when I supposedly burned 1,001 calories my intake was 1490 so if I minus 1001 would I put 489 cal into the spreadsheet?

Thanks
  • shadow2soul
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Do you know where I can find an accurate tool for calories burned during exercise? For example I have a treadmill I use at various speeds and inclines and the other day I used it for 90 minutes, when I logged it in MFP under “stair-treadmill ergometer,general” it says I burned 1,001 calories- seems kinda high?

Second question- when inputting daily calories do I put the amount after exercise? The reason I ask is because it seems ridiculously low, going back to the example of the other day when I supposedly burned 1,001 calories my intake was 1490 so if I minus 1001 would I put 489 cal into the spreadsheet?

Thanks

1) That's another name for a stair climber. Personally I would log it by average speed. The extra calories burned from the incline can be a buffer for inaccurate logging.

2) You put your total calorie intake in this spreadsheet. So in your case 1490.
  • Jilliankosto
    Options
    [/quote]

1) That's another name for a stair climber. Personally I would log it by average speed. The extra calories burned from the incline can be a buffer for inaccurate logging.

2) You put your total calorie intake in this spreadsheet. So in your case 1490.[/quote]

Thanks for your response. Maybe this is a stupid question but how come I log total calories without considering the amount burned during exercise?
  • DevilsFan1
    edited February 2018
    Options

2) You put your total calorie intake in this spreadsheet. So in your case 1490.

Thanks for your response. Maybe this is a stupid question but how come I log total calories without considering the amount burned during exercise?
    [/quote]

The amount burned during exercise will be accounted for in your weight. Calories in is simply the amount you eat each day. Your weight at the end of the week will tell you whether you used more calories than you consumed that week. If you weight went up, you didn't burn as many calories as you consumed. If you weight goes down, you consumed fewer calories than you burned through activity including exercise.

If you exercise routine is pretty much the same every week, there's no issue. The spreadsheet will be as accurate as your food and weight logging. If you run a marathon one week, the results may get out of whack for a bit, but over a few weeks they will settle back to a reasonable estimate. Hope this makes sense.
  • shadow2soul
    Options

2) You put your total calorie intake in this spreadsheet. So in your case 1490.[/quote]

[/quote]
    Because TDEE should include exercise. If you subtract it from what you have eaten the spreadsheet will end up giving you a number that is lower than your actual TDEE.

My TDEE is around 2500. I know this from my years of tracking and monitoring my weight. The spreadsheet came back with a TDEE of 2525 based on my weight and total intake for the past 4 weeks.

If I put in Net consumed calories it comes back with a value of 1885. That is much lower than my actual TDEE, because it no longer includes the calories I burned as a result of exercise.
  • Jilliankosto
    Options
    Thanks DevilsFan and Shadow2Soul for the explanations, it makes sense.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP, I might download this and give it a try when I get home. I made my own TDEE calculator on excel, with pretty graphs and everything :). It has come out pretty close to what I would expect with a sedentary job and my level of exercise (not too much other than resistance training).

If I get a fitness tracker (or perhaps I'll use my Samsung Health data once I have a decent enough baseline) I'll try using the activity levels from there to further refine the calcs to generate a BMR number too.

It is pretty easy for anyone to workout themselves if you're halfway decent with excel - but I'm happy to share my spreadsheet if anyone wants it - just PM me and I'll put it up on google docs. You just have to enter your weight and total calorie intake daily, any less frequent than that (especially caloric intake) the less reliable the TDEE data will be. You can enter protein and measurements also - for graphs.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    47M/5'10"/SW 189, CW 181, GW 170.

Thought I'd share a TDEE spreadsheet that I've been using to help lose weight. This is from the Reddit r/fitness sub. Blank sheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1s4KKCbmkvMwfk5eL_HjOanjVXdzwTMHSiIRU6vz1a10/edit?usp=sharing

You use this to track your weight and caloric intake daily. At the end of the week, the sheet will calculate your average weight and average daily caloric intake and will update your TDEE accordingly. After a few weeks, you will know approximately what your TDEE is and how many calories you can eat per day to hit your weight loss (or gain) target.

Here's my current spreadsheet for reference: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CrXUFlLqmzKJGrAuX2FEyglYPR_sNEy9gVB6uFo9EJw/edit?usp=sharing

Hope this helps someone out there. Happy losing!

* EDIT : You don't need edit permission to access the sheet. Simply save/download a copy to start editing your own.

You're super smart to track measurements like this! Great progress.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!