Macros-How strict should you be?

Options
Is it okay if you go over your macros a little? like for example, mfp gives me 43 g of fat and 114g of protein for my daily macros but I need to eat a little more today to get to my 1300 calorie goal and I will definitely go over my fat and protein macros with whatever I eat next

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Think of macros as a goal, not a limit.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm not strict with my macros at all. I try to treat fats and proteins as a minimum to reach every day and let the rest of my calories come from whatever, but even then I figure as long as I'm in throwing distance of my goals I'm close enough. If you have very specific needs, like you're trying to reach a low body fat % or you want to stay in ketosis or something like that, then the macros might matter more.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    It's all just a best guess, no matter how strict you are with your logging. It also helps to look at your totals on a weekly basis (easier in the app, under Nutrition in your diary). Some days might be a little high, some a little low, basically cancelling each other out. I don't aim for perfect every day, just try to keep it in line week-to-week.

Or, you could just eat something that is primarily carbs for the rest of your calories today. How do you feel about gummy worms? :smile:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Your macros are yours - MFP didn't even give you yours, you can, and you have, set them yourself! So it's up to you how strict you should be. For me, your macros would be more protein and less fat than I need.

The absolute to stick to, is your calorie goal. And that's also something you can ballpark - consistency beats accuracy. Macro setting should help you stick to your calorie goal, not make it harder!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    As far as macros, the only thing I concern myself with is hitting/exceeding my protein goal. I never have problems getting enough fat, and carbs fall where they fall. Some days I'm around 100g of carbs, other days I'm over 200g. Don't care.

Eat a sensible, reasonably balanced diet and stick to your calorie goal, that's what matters for weight loss.
  • texas1872
    texas1872 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used www.macronutrientcalculator.com and used those percentages of carbs fats and protein to have as guidelines. I follow Keto but do add a few more carbs. Under 40 carbs per meal, and under 15 carbs for snacks. I'm losing weight!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i aim for 100g of protein per day. other than that i don't take too much notice of my macros. i do find i am less hungry when i eat higher fat though
  • texas1872
    Options
    I find that I'm less hungry too! I put in the macro for a Keto diet but upped the carbs just a bit and find that to work for me.
  • texas1872
    Options
    My daily macros are: carbs 20%, fat 50%, protein 30%.
    I find that I'm always under at the end of the day.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I'm usually over protein and fat and under on carbs. I think I've found the right combo of macros for me based on trial and error. You might have to experiment with macro ratio.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I go over my protein and fat goals nearly every day, to me that's a good thing. Carbs are usually on the lowish side, so it all evens out calorie wise.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I aim to get adequate protein but I am in no way accurate as I don't even track right now
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,982 Member
    Options
    They're a guideline. If you're not progressing reasonably, or really struggling in an area, then they can be a good place to look, but by no means are they set in stone.

I've varied mine, even recently in fact. I had been trying to stick in my carbs range, but for a couple days added back in a little more carbs (still staying in calorie range) and found I recovered MUCH better from my workouts. Okay, fine, that's what is making my body happy, I'll eat a few more carbs and not feel bad about it.

The one I do try to hit pretty well most days is protein though, mostly because of my workouts and goals with them.