Does anyone ever make fun of you for dieting?

Options
13»

Replies

• BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    This is sort of unrelated but I get so irritated when I see people say "diets are temporary, this is for life". Perhaps the true definition of diet is unknown.

di·et
    /ˈdī-it/
    Noun
    The kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.
    A legislative assembly in certain countries.

To me, it seems that this IS a diet, or rather, your/my/our diet, because it is the things we eat. When people say they are "on a diet" they mean they are following a fad or a quick fix, yes, but they don't really mean the actual definition other than it may be what they are habitually eating until they get tired of doing it lol

As I said unrelated.
    On the related note, I think you know how to handle them. Do what YOU want and ignore their petty behavior. It just reflects badly on them, not you :)

edited because apparently <b> no longer bolds things lol

QFT
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    A week or so ago...this paralegal in my firm brought in pizza for everyone. I walked into the lunch room to get my lunch and fill up my water bottle. Then they all turn around and asked me if I wanted pizza. I said: "No thank you, I don't eat bread."

Them: WHAZOO DON"T EAT BREAD?!?! I ZEEEN YOU EAT DAT PIZZA BEFORE?!?!

Me: No, that's okay. I brought my lunch. But it was a nice offer.

Them: YOLO (this is what they say to me when I refuse - ice cream, bagels, anything with sugar or carbs basically) Then 15 minutes of them trying to convince me to eat it and "starving myself" wasn't a good idea, etc.

Me: Finally...I just lost my temper...said to them: the next person who says "YOLO" to me one more time, I'm going to stick that pizza up their *kitten*...k?

them: NO NEED TO OVER REACT JKJKJK...lolol

me: rolls eyes - retreats to office to eat in peace

I refuse to eat in there now. But that's okay. In a less year I'll be back in my size 6 jeans and they will be beached whales.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    A week or so ago...this paralegal in my firm brought in pizza for everyone. I walked into the lunch room to get my lunch and fill up my water bottle. Then they all turn around and asked me if I wanted pizza. I said: "No thank you, I don't eat bread."

Them: WHAZOO DON"T EAT BREAD?!?! I ZEEEN YOU EAT DAT PIZZA BEFORE?!?!

Me: No, that's okay. I brought my lunch. But it was a nice offer.

Them: YOLO (this is what they say to me when I refuse - ice cream, bagels, anything with sugar or carbs basically) Then 15 minutes of them trying to convince me to eat it and "starving myself" wasn't a good idea, etc.

Me: Finally...I just lost my temper...said to them: the next person who says "YOLO" to me one more time, I'm going to stick that pizza up their *kitten*...k?

them: NO NEED TO OVER REACT JKJKJK...lolol

me: rolls eyes - retreats to office to eat in peace

I refuse to eat in there now. But that's okay. In a less year I'll be back in my size 6 jeans and they will be beached whales.

Great story, wouldn't read again.

The fact you cut bread out of your diet isn't the reason you're losing weight.

Peace
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    better to say "no I dont eat that" and move on... people like challenges and love to destroy you.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    A possible way is to turn the attention on THEM.

If someone not so fat tells me to eat something, and I say no, and he/she keeps asking why not?!?! I would say "Coz I wanna be skinny like you!!! Look at you! Your skiny arms, flat abs, you are my role model!!!"

I'm pretty sure that person would be kinda conscious now that the body image attention is on him.
  • ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    Options
    Tell them "doctor's orders" maybe then they will stop. :wink:
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sure! If I'm doing what I need to do for myself, I don't care what other people think. One of the advantages to being old.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Just don't bring up the diet word, everyone loves to bash and pick apart anything you are doing to better yourself. By telling them you are dieting, it probably made them feel like crap because they were getting it. I admit, I usually don't deny myself a treat but you can think of other things to say that wouldn't make them feel bad about their choice... maybe "I'm so pumped from the walk I want to go for another instead of eating ice cream" or "dairy has been bugging me and I'd hate to have to avoid you all because I have stomach problems all afternoon" or "i'm going out to eat tonight and i'm saving room for the crap ton of food i'm going to eat then!" ;)
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    So today I had just got back from my lunch walk and a group of my co-workers were heading out to get ice cream and asked me to come along. I go, nope, I'm on a diet. And then they proceeded to make fun of me for dieting.... I was like: REALLY!!!! To think back, lots of people have made fun of me for dieting, Why do people do this??? I'm VERY dedicated to my diet and people seem to poke fun at it and make jokes all the time. They don't take it seriously. It's very annoying people!!!!!! I started at around 190 when I had my daughter and now I'm down to 137 almost in a size 6. I've worked very hard to loose that weight and people just think it's funny! I don't get it.......... Grrrrrrrrr to the people who do this!

I forgot to mention, that it doesn't really bother me that much, it's just an observation that I made today that I never really noticed before. It doesn't bother me to tell people I'm dieting, but for some reason it bothers other people in society to hear that people are dieting. Interesting!!!!

The best thing to do is say, "No thanks" and leave it at that. Don't say why, don't say, I don't eat this, that or the other thing. They don't need any more of an explanation.

Like another person said, drop science on them if you must. Tell them how many calories you burn daily and ice cream takes way too much of a chunk out of it. This is very thought provoking and will make them think about their own intakes.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    People spread anorexia rumors about me, I remember my friends approaching me and saying "so-and-so was talking about how much weight you've lost, she asked me if you weren't eating anymore." Hell, even professors talked about me as the "girl thats probably not eating." It's tough, but just remember, people only rain on your parade because they're jealous of your sun and tired of their shade. :)

Arg! Its like you can win either way!

They talk about you when your fat, and they talk about you when you finally lose the weight!!

:explode:
  • seabee78
    seabee78 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Just tell them you're diabetic and have to watch your sugar carbs. That usually shuts them up right away.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    i make fun of them for being fatties. but in like a really really hurtful way.

hahaha
  • water_coloured
    water_coloured Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't tell people I'm dieting, but some of my friends make fun of my dietary choices (choosing water or diet soda over calorie-filled drinks, eating salad when we go out to eat, etc). It's funny because the ones that give me **** for eating well and exercising are fat and out-of-shape.

I really don't care what they say. I'm not going to let someone's opinion prevent me from doing things for better health.
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't tell people I'm dieting, but some of my friends make fun of my dietary choices (choosing water or diet soda over calorie-filled drinks, eating salad when we go out to eat, etc).

I find this so ridiculous. When I go out to eat with friends, I don't give a damn what they're eating, let alone feel the need to make fun of them for their choices!
  • GnosisGnosis
    Options
    Yeah and then later they beg me for the secret to my abs. People are stupid.
  • Loasaur
    Loasaur Posts: 125
    Options
    Everyone in my family is like this. We go out for coffee, "Do you want a donut?" "No, I'm good." "Come on, I know you want a donut." "No, I don't. I'm full. Really." "Oh come on, just get the donut." "I don't want a donut!" "Okaaayyyyy....if you say so." -comes back with a ****ING DONUT!-

-.-.....

Then I throw the donut away and get yelled at! "I can't believe that you just wasted that donut. Donuts cost money, they don't just grow on trees." "I SAID I DIDN'T WANT A DONUT!"

It's horribly unbearable....I've stopped saying, "I can't eat that, I'm on a diet." because people make fun of me. "Oh, remember last time when you were on a diet? Oh yeah, you didn't lose anything." "Ha...seriously? A diet? Who cares?" "Oh, you're one of THOSE people..." I just don't say it anymore. It's not worth it.