Those who have lost about 50lbs - did you have loose skin?

Options
2»

Replies

• laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I still have more to lose, but after 50 lbs down I dont have any lose skin, from 217-166 and im planning on getting down to 120 so we wil see if I have an lose skin then.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    60 lbs lost in my early 40s over the course of about 9 months. Still have loose skin 18 months later, but I believe it's still shrinking. Going to give it another 6 to 9 months before I decide whether to go down the surgery route, but I am saving and consulting doctor's ahead of time. I was also 30 to 60 lbs over current weight for about 20 years.
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    With each of my three pregnancies I've been 40-60 lbs pounds up, then down. And another couple of swings around 40 lbs, no kids involved.

Today I'm 55lbs lighter than my heaviest, and when I stand straight my skin is smooth. Only on my stomach I can see it. If I bend to the side or forward, the skin kind of ripples and fold faster than it did before, but I can live with that.

As you say, you'll want to loose the weight whatever. You can always find a way afterwards to dress that corresponds to your new shape and the way your skin has become. With good clothes, posture and attitude nothing can go wrong
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Yes but I gained a large percentage of my weight during pregnancy. I've had five babies, several of whom were almost 9 pounds, and I'm 5'1". All of my loose skin is at my hips and under my bellybutton. I didn't have any c-sections, just big babies and gained between 33-55 pounds during plus the 20+ pounds I was holding onto before pregnancy.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 58lbs (209 to 151lbs) pretty slowly, over the course of a year and a half. I would say I do have some loose skin, but not a lot to worry with. Just a little jiggly around the tummy, thighs, and upper arms. A lot of mine can be chalked up to not having a strength training routine, which I need to get to work on.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm a little more than 50 down now and so far, no loose skin. But I'm still fairly young. I really need to get this off sooner rather than later to minimize my chances.
  • LinnyKitten
    LinnyKitten Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm 21, I've lost about 56 pounds in a little less than a year, and I have very minimal loose skin. Just a tiny wee bit, on my arms, and my inner/upper thighs, but it's not much at all. And, I'm certainly not complaining, I feel, and look so much better than I did 56 pounds ago. lol
  • tomjanecourtney
    tomjanecourtney Posts: 97 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    48 pound loss in 10 months, 16 st 2 lbs to 12 st 8 lbs, at 62yrs old & male.
    Weight training 3 times a week.
    Muscle tone for the first time in my life. :)
    Abs starting to show if lighting good :)
    Stubborn lower stomach/ loin / chest fat remains :(
    Loose skin round my middle :(
    19% body fat on scale (was 30 %)
    Will keep working hard with beach weather approaching ;)

Maybe we’re related ;)

• potatoyeti
    potatoyeti Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have been lucky. I have lost over 70 lbs in about 7 months and do not have any lose skin. It seems like it's something that varies from person to person and really depends on how the weight sits on your body.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I lost ~60 lbs total, and I'm in maintenance now. I started my weight loss in my late teens, so I was/am young. I thought I lost at a reasonable pace, but looking back, I actually dropped the weight pretty quickly in about 7-8 months. I don't have loose skin. I kind of forgot about loose skin being a possibility when I was losing, but it wouldn't have held me back. Obesity, even class 1, is annoying and quite unhealthy in most cases.
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 90lbs pretty quick(since about June)and I do have lose skin. I still want to loss some more weight but I plan on having my lose skin fixed once I reach goal weight. I’d much rather have the lose skin than the fat that’s for sure. I have notice my arms starting to firm up. Good luck to you!
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    85 pounds and no, planning on losing another 80. Most of the fat I've had are around my thighs, I'm sure I've developed some loose skin there but I haven't checked, my belly arms and everywhere else are okay.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    The amount of weight lost is only one part of the equation that determines whether/how much loose skin you'll have. Age and genetics also play a big role as you said; pace of weight loss is not a major factor.

I lost 100 pounds in my early 30s. I have some loose skin, but not a lot. I've been in maintenance for about 6 months and have started strength training. Things are starting to "tighten up" slowly.
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I'm 43, 5'3" and have lost just 45, not yet 50 (out of an ultimate 60–70) but unfortunately yes, I have loose skin. Luckily at this moment it's not a big deal—looks normal and non-puckery when I stand, you can only tell when I bend over or, as I discovered just today, when you try on a new smaller bra with thin straps).

Everybody says weight training is the key, so get into that as much as is feasible for your case. For me ideally I would have been doing it all along but, long story short, I'll be starting when I hit the top of the 'normal' range of the BMI chart. That's not a philosophical decision it's a practical one based on some specific life factors.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    After losing 80 pounds my skin was deflated in my trouble areas and the areas where I lost a lot of inches. It wasn't quite "loose" like I have seen on those extreme weight loss shows, but it was just there and wobbly. Kind of hard to explain.

2 years into maintenance my skin started to firm up. 4 years into maintenance my skin everywhere looked tight everywhere as if I was never overweight/obese.

I was worried since I was overweight for so long and older that I was doomed, but I'd much rather deal with that then be 80 pounds heavier. Plus it was very easy to hide in clothes.

Thankfully that wasn't the case. Time and I believe strength-training helped my skin greatly.

You're the first I've heard mention continued improvement after 2 years. Most suggest what you see 2 years into maintenance is about as good as it's going to get. Glad to hear that might not be the case.
  • julieannka
    julieannka Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think age and length of time a person is over weight are the biggest factors. I gained 55 lbs when I was pregnant and lost it all within 5 months after delivery and didn't have any loose skin, but I was in my 20's. Between menopause, retirement and quitting smoking I gained 70 lbs when I was in my 50's and didn't lose the weight until I was 64, and I have l lot of loose skin.