Options

Replies

• TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    TurtleTape wrote: »
    MSFab08 wrote: »
    What makes you skeptical? The health claims, the feasibility, the necessity? Which protocol(s) is/are you contemplating?

Basically skeptical that it actually works.

It's just a method for calorie restriction, like the majority of other methods.

That's incorrect. You could say that certain IF protocols are designed around calorie restriction, but most common implementations are NOT - they are schedules for when you eat and when you fast... how much you eat is entirely up to you.

I didn't say its primary purpose was calorie restriction, just that it's a method for it. Reducing the amount of time you can eat quite often results in eating less, so generally fewer calories.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I’ve had a few people recommend it to me and I’m curious but still a bit skeptical.

I’m realizing I was too vague. I need to lose weight and a few people recommended IF. I did do research on my own, but I can’t be convinced it can help with WEIGHT-LOSS because the ones that recommended IF to me have only been on this “schedule” for less than a month.

I lost 54-lbs doing a 20:4 IF and have kept it off doing a 16:8. I'm 28-month into it and am maintaining within a 5-lb range from my lowest weight. It is a sustainable way of eating for me because I get to eat tell full each evening. I eat ad libitum in the evenings in my eating window and probably put down 1800-2400 kcals. I'm much less hungry fasted than trying to eat a small meal early in the day and then stop eating. It helps me control my eating and has worked very well for me. Give it a try and see if it helps you control your eating. I would recommend a 16:8 schedule to start with and see where that gets you. I am glad I haven't had to count or weigh anything doing this or just eat small meals because those things would be very difficult for me to do.
  • Shunitam
    Shunitam Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    prestongn wrote: »
    I totally hear you... it sounded weird to me at first too. I’ve followed it now for over 2 years and have definitely appreciated the results. I’ve just done weekly, one day fasts (drinking some nutrient drinks during the day and lots of water) as opposed to the daily window of eating style of IF.

***I agree. I do it as well and I'm losing as well. But I also exercise with it and drink plenty of water***
  • Elle_Marie_Fit
    Elle_Marie_Fit Posts: 138 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is working well for me because it is an eating schedule rather than a diet. I have a history of yo yo'ing on diets. I'm making IF a way of life, so that even on days when I give in to cravings/make inferior food choices, I am at least constricting how long I do that and therefor how much I eat. It naturally restricts my calories. Another benefit I have personally experienced is that by fasting for 18 hours each 24 and adding my healthy fats to my diet, my hormones seem to be leveling out. I don't have any proof that this is a direct result, but I can say I have never seen these results when I have tried other things.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Some people find it's a good fit with their eating pattern and it helps them adhere to their calorie goal. Other than that, there's no magic to it - weight loss still comes down to how many calories you consume, not what time you consume them. It's very trendy right now, but a lot of the claims about it are highly overblown.

Exactly! There's no claims that it's truly better for you in the long run. If it works better with your schedule, or helps you to restrict your calories to what your goal is, then give it a go. I did it for about a year, and I did lose weight, but it was because of what I was eating, not when I was eating it.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Another side benefit for me was that my digestive system seemed to appreciate the break each day vs. eating frequent small meals. Problems with GERD and bowel issues didn't occur with IF.
  • Terebynthia
    Terebynthia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    For me, it has several advantages. I do 20/4 weekdays and a more relaxed schedule nearer 16/8 at weekends to fit in with my partner. Note that it is in addition to calorie counting, not a replacement for calorie counting. I also eat low carb as well as I simply feel better doing that.

1. I'm a tiny human, and my caloric needs are low. Eating two meals a day with no snacks allows me scope and creativity with what I do eat, and the ability to add some more caloric options, which helps me not feel deprived.
    2. I feel much less hungry when I am doing IF.
    3. 2 meals take far less mental time and energy up than the snack all the time plan I started my weight loss doing. It's simply far less planning, which I appreciate.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    well Ive been a faster basically all my life, Im not a person who eats breakfast never really was even as a kid. most of the time I fast 16:8 some days its 18:6. yes I did gain weight fasting because I was eating more calories than my body burned. I also lost weight fasting because I was/am eating less than I burn.

It works for me because I cant eat early in the day I often feel sick to my stomach(dont ask me why), and now that I have to take meds before I eat it makes it work too. But I dont lose anymore weight fasting as opposed to times I dont fast which I have also done before. weight loss comes down to a calorie deficit(CICO). if it helps you to stick to your calorie deficit great. but if not its not going to make a difference in weight loss.

I also dont see a difference in my hunger either. the differences in what makes me hungrier or not hungrier is my macros. If I eat more protein,fiber and less carbs I seem to be more satiated(I cant do high fat). If I eat a lot of carbs lately I want to eat everything in the house(my glucose and so on is normal too dont have any issues with diabetes or insulin resistance). Im not low carb by any means most day Im over 150g.

its one of those try it and see approaches.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I’ve had a few people recommend it to me and I’m curious but still a bit skeptical.

Not for everyone. When I was cutting (aka my fat loss phase), I did it, not for the benefits, but because I prefer eating 2-3 big meals opposed to 5-6 small meals. Mind you that I still had to be in a caloric deficit, IF alone will not guarantee weight loss. If you can survive fasting long hours, it can be a useful tool.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

The benefit of IF for some people is that eating during a shorter time window makes it easier for them to stick to their calorie goal.

For other people it doesn't work because they get so hungry while fasting that they overeat once they are in their eating window.

Whether you do IF or not you will need to eat the same amount of calories to lose the same amount of weight. It's just a question of how to arrange your eating schedule to make it as easy as possible!
  • dklmiller
    dklmiller Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    How would you log on the day you fast if you chose to fast 1 day/week. Just not log that day?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    What makes you skeptical? The health claims, the feasibility, the necessity? Which protocol(s) is/are you contemplating?

people use IF to lose, gain or maintain their weight - as others said, it all comes down to the calorie deficit (or surplus).
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    dklmiller wrote: »
    How would you log on the day you fast if you chose to fast 1 day/week. Just not log that day?

if you are fasting for a religious preference or a test the dr ordered thats one thing but there really is no reason to go without eating one day.and no you wouldnt log if you arent eating anything. but the thing is if you dont eat that one day the next day its possible you could overeat because most likely you will be hungry. Im not saying not to do it. but you can do whats called 5:2 5 days of the week you eat at maintenance or a little less and 2 days a week you eat 500 calories or a little more.

or you can do weekly counting. add up your calorie deficit and multiply it by 7 thats your weekly calorie goal(so say its 1400 calories a day that would be 9800 for the week. now a day or two you can eat less and the rest of the week you can eat more just as long as it adds up to the 9800 for the week.(and any exercise calories eat part of those back)

just a suggestion
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

works for what?

as has been mentioned, it isn't a weight loss diet...it is an eating schedule. People lose weight, maintain weight, and gain weight doing IF...weight management comes down to calories, not your eating schedule.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

That's incorrect. You could say that certain IF protocols are designed around calorie restriction, but most common implementations are NOT - they are schedules for when you eat and when you fast... how much you eat is entirely up to you.

I didn't say its primary purpose was calorie restriction, just that it's a method for it. Reducing the amount of time you can eat quite often results in eating less, so generally fewer calories.

I used to just naturally eat a 16:8 IF window, but didn't know that it was a "thing"...I gained all of my weight eating that way.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    dklmiller wrote: »

Yeah, and focus on your weekly calories.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I used to just naturally eat a 16:8 IF window, but didn't know that it was a "thing"...I gained all of my weight eating that way.

yep I gained weight that way too only I didnt know I was fasting at the time as I rarely ever ate breakfast as a kid and dont now. I gained too much weight too eating too much while fasting. I thought it was ok since I wasnt eating breakfast. boy was I wrong
  • jcgadfly
    jcgadfly Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast isn't magic. It might have some benefits but no more than other calorie restriction methods.
  • MSFab08
    MSFab08 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

cwolfman13 wrote: »

works for what?

as has been mentioned, it isn't a weight loss diet...it is an eating schedule. People lose weight, maintain weight, and gain weight doing IF...weight management comes down to calories, not your eating schedule.

I clarified on what I meant in a previous comment, but thanks!

• jeanona
    jeanona Posts: 155 Member
    Options

I’m realizing I was too vague. I need to lose weight and a few people recommended IF. I did do research on my own, but I can’t be convinced it can help with WEIGHT-LOSS because the ones that recommended IF to me have only been on this “schedule” for less than a month.

It really depends on how you approach IF. If you’re fine simply with maintaining a deficit with calorie counting, then you don’t need IF at all.

IF has been a life saver for me in that it has helped me gain control of my binges. In that way, it has helped with my weight loss and weight management.