cee134 wrote: »
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    Still getting a 3 out of 20. So I can't move on yet.

Pics or it didn’t happen lol

Not sure what an 8 means. I don't think I have any modifiers.

apy69ca0fiby.png
    This. This is not a 3,

It's a new roll. So it looks like I am getting ready to move on. Lets see:

ek2ccc9pn4w1.png

Yep, I'm able to move on now.

What the heck is this???

That's a 20 sided Dice Roll generator. To see if you can do stuff in D&D you have to roll a 20 sided Die first. I don't have any so I had to do it virtually.

You can play online Yahtzee with it too.

ncy5ol3clzog.png

And that explains why I didn't know what y'all were talking about.

Carry on

Let's see if I can?

4qk7zx5vxvyb.png

Boy howdy can I carry on. (rolling a natural 20 is preforming a super move in D&D).

Omg I knew D&D used the icosahedron but I did not know there were other die that are the rest of the 5 Platonic solids!

D&D was made by a bunch of nerds. What did you expect?

Also I think that's more of a coincidence. The 6, 10, and 20 seem to be used the most.

I don't think it's a coincidence, since the Platonic solids are all symmetrical and all faces are the same shape and size with the same vertices they'd make the most fair die

Here:

Without a doubt, yes. The dice have very specific purposes, from determining attacks and damage to randomly selecting items and outcomes. The reason for this is mathematical in nature.

Let’s say that you substitute a d20 attack roll with 3d6 instead. Close enough, right? Actually, it’s hugely different. The chances to get any result on a d20 sits on a linear line. As in, there’s an equal chance to hit a One as there is to hit a Ten or a Twenty. The 3d6 is a completely different beast altogether. Outcomes are on a curve, and lean very heavily on median numbers, while outliers are greatly diminished. There’s a .46% chance to roll either the minimum or maximum amounts, while there’s a 12.5% chance to roll a 10 or 11.

Changing any of the dice in the game fundamentally changes the chances of success or failure. D&D is more than just a fantasy game - its mechanics are mathematically tested for balance and fun. Remove that, and the game becomes much more… erratic.

But also this is interesting:

D&D Dice Explained
    https://www.dieharddice.com/what-are-dnd-dice

They're talking about the probability differences in rolling 3 separate die with 18 total sides than one with 20 total sides. That's completely different.

It's just 2 extra sides, don't be a cube.

Yes but with one die you only have one outcome, with 3 die you have the chances of three different outcomes on the same roll. You're such a tetrahedron

I should point out that the idea is to add up the numbers on the 3 dice. It's also impossible to get a 1 or a 2, which is pretty awesome in D&D as rolling a 1 seriously *kitten* up *kitten*.

As luck would have it there are some memes that help illustrate not wanting to roll a 1.

s8q8scdegz35.png
    muemxwl2z8aa.png
    jf0pje603y6h.png
    1ze50ij752we.png
    0tlgfxuswc3q.gif

Yes I know that but we were talking about a platonic solids, having equal sides and identical vertices, being fair and you said the probability with a 3d6 was different but that's because there are 3 of them

Oh.... Yes, I agree that the probability is different because 3d6 creates different probabilities then a 1d20.

My point was they use math to create chance in the D&D world which dice would be the best way to generate random numbers since they didn't really have good computers back then when D&D was created. Therefore it's just chance that those dice they wanted to use are also the same shapes found in the 5 Platonic solids.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options

apy69ca0fiby.png
    This. This is not a 3,

ek2ccc9pn4w1.png

What the heck is this???

That's a 20 sided Dice Roll generator. To see if you can do stuff in D&D you have to roll a 20 sided Die first. I don't have any so I had to do it virtually.

ncy5ol3clzog.png

Carry on

Let's see if I can?

4qk7zx5vxvyb.png

Boy howdy can I carry on. (rolling a natural 20 is preforming a super move in D&D).

Omg I knew D&D used the icosahedron but I did not know there were other die that are the rest of the 5 Platonic solids!

Also I think that's more of a coincidence. The 6, 10, and 20 seem to be used the most.

I don't think it's a coincidence, since the Platonic solids are all symmetrical and all faces are the same shape and size with the same vertices they'd make the most fair die

Here:

Without a doubt, yes. The dice have very specific purposes, from determining attacks and damage to randomly selecting items and outcomes. The reason for this is mathematical in nature.

Let’s say that you substitute a d20 attack roll with 3d6 instead. Close enough, right? Actually, it’s hugely different. The chances to get any result on a d20 sits on a linear line. As in, there’s an equal chance to hit a One as there is to hit a Ten or a Twenty. The 3d6 is a completely different beast altogether. Outcomes are on a curve, and lean very heavily on median numbers, while outliers are greatly diminished. There’s a .46% chance to roll either the minimum or maximum amounts, while there’s a 12.5% chance to roll a 10 or 11.

Changing any of the dice in the game fundamentally changes the chances of success or failure. D&D is more than just a fantasy game - its mechanics are mathematically tested for balance and fun. Remove that, and the game becomes much more… erratic.

D&D Dice Explained

They're talking about the probability differences in rolling 3 separate die with 18 total sides than one with 20 total sides. That's completely different.

Yes but with one die you only have one outcome, with 3 die you have the chances of three different outcomes on the same roll. You're such a tetrahedron

I should point out that the idea is to add up the numbers on the 3 dice. It's also impossible to get a 1 or a 2, which is pretty awesome in D&D as rolling a 1 seriously *kitten* up *kitten*.

As luck would have it there are some memes that help illustrate not wanting to roll a 1.

s8q8scdegz35.png
    muemxwl2z8aa.png
    jf0pje603y6h.png
    1ze50ij752we.png
    0tlgfxuswc3q.gif

Yes I know that but we were talking about a platonic solids, having equal sides and identical vertices, being fair and you said the probability with a 3d6 was different but that's because there are 3 of them

Oh.... Yes, I agree that the probability is different because 3d6 creates different probabilities then a 1d20.

My point was they use math to create chance in the D&D world which dice would be the best way to generate random numbers since they didn't really have good computers back then when D&D was created. Therefore it's just chance that those dice they wanted to use are also the same shapes found in the 5 Platonic solids.

I don't think it's just chance, I'm sure if any of the creators were into math and statistics they would've known about the shapes' effects on the game without computers.

I also agree with this, since they used dice to generate random probability. But they wouldn't need dice if they had computers or the internet. As they could create randomly generated numbers with just computers, depending on the probability they wanted.
  • cee134
    Options

apy69ca0fiby.png
    This. This is not a 3,

ek2ccc9pn4w1.png

What the heck is this???

ncy5ol3clzog.png

Carry on

Let's see if I can?

4qk7zx5vxvyb.png

Here:

D&D Dice Explained

s8q8scdegz35.png
    muemxwl2z8aa.png
    jf0pje603y6h.png
    1ze50ij752we.png
    0tlgfxuswc3q.gif

I don't think it's just chance, I'm sure if any of the creators were into math and statistics they would've known about the shapes' effects on the game without computers.

I also agree with this, since they used dice to generate random probability. But they wouldn't need dice if they had computers or the internet. As they could create randomly generated numbers with just computers, depending on the probability they wanted.

That's true. But also the dice look cool :lol:

They do. Also with dice you can play anywhere and anytime.

ebdejpakj7hf.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
  • cee134
    Options

Oo I know this one: sad.

But why?
  • cee134
    Options

Oo I know this one: sad.

But why?

I'm not sure I thought maybe he deactivated but it doesn't look like it

Oh no! He's gone!

bwgev5xd19gg.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
    7rwrjf6epa89.gif

Well he wasn't banned so that's the good news.
  • cee134
    Options
    Maybe... Just maybe he's listening. @MeeseeksAndDestroy

9o28hdfcev9s.gif
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options

s8q8scdegz35.png
    muemxwl2z8aa.png
    jf0pje603y6h.png
    1ze50ij752we.png
    0tlgfxuswc3q.gif

LOL! <3

I remember I had a character that I ended up rolling crap like that for all 6 rolls on abilities. Even with trait modifiers and multipliers it was sad. Our DM laughed and offered me the standard score set. :D

• sniper300_Rum
    sniper300_Rum Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    All of it, huh
    You couldnt handle all of it
  • cee134
    Options
    6cl00t0psuo1.gif
    xtifc5kjy7ih.gif
    vl1vful3nq4c.gif
    iultevv759bd.gif