iMago wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    cdbit5vrbimi.jpg

YES

NO
    ITS GOOD

BUT I THINK RON IS DEAD?

Nah it’s always something fixable, it’s not a known death spell

They don't say it in Harry Potter land though - maybe it's a new curse that kills people

They wouldn’t let magicians in the muggle world say it then

You sweet, foolish boy. Muggles can't perform magic so they can say whatever they want and nothing would happen.

literally none of the stuff in the series made sense anyhow. like how voldemort really *was* the master of the elder wand all along, which kinda breaks the final book in the series in a fundamental way.

But I don't think he was...? I thought it was Dumbledore, but then it was Draco, and then Harry

nah. grindewald stole the wand from gregorovitch, he never bested him to take ownership.
    and so when dumbledore took the wand from grindewald, he also never bested the wands true owner.

same for when Draco took it from Dumbledore. albus wasn't the true master. and then when harry took it from Draco. none of them were the true master of the wand.

the wand's true master was still Gregorovitch. who Voldemort killed. hence the wand really did belong to Voldemort.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    cdbit5vrbimi.jpg

YES

NO
    ITS GOOD

BUT I THINK RON IS DEAD?

They don't say it in Harry Potter land though - maybe it's a new curse that kills people

You sweet, foolish boy. Muggles can't perform magic so they can say whatever they want and nothing would happen.

literally none of the stuff in the series made sense anyhow. like how voldemort really *was* the master of the elder wand all along, which kinda breaks the final book in the series in a fundamental way.

But I don't think he was...? I thought it was Dumbledore, but then it was Draco, and then Harry

nah. grindewald stole the wand from gregorovitch, he never bested him to take ownership.
    and so when dumbledore took the wand from grindewald, he also never bested the wands true owner.

same for when Draco took it from Dumbledore. albus wasn't the true master. and then when harry took it from Draco. none of them were the true master of the wand.

the wand's true master was still Gregorovitch. who Voldemort killed. hence the wand really did belong to Voldemort.

But I thought you had to disarm them? And if he never had the wand then wouldn't Voldemort have not disarmed him of the wand?

either way- Grindewald never disarmed Gregorovitch.
    Grindewald was caught in the middle of the theft, and he cast a stunning spell at Gregorovitch, with the wand that wasn't his, and the spell missed of course, because it recognized it's true master. it was always gregorovitch until Riddle killed him.

tbf, i think the final book/movie would've been better if she'd recognized this, and written it that Harry beat him either way, elder wand or no.
  • iMago
    Options
    cdbit5vrbimi.jpg

YES

NO
    ITS GOOD

BUT I THINK RON IS DEAD?

But I thought you had to disarm them? And if he never had the wand then wouldn't Voldemort have not disarmed him of the wand?

Grindewald was caught in the middle of the theft, and he cast a stunning spell at Gregorovitch, with the wand that wasn't his, and the spell missed of course, because it recognized it's true master. it was always gregorovitch until Riddle killed him.

tbf, i think the final book/movie would've been better if she'd recognized this, and written it that Harry beat him either way, elder wand or no.

Technically I answered this except I edited my previous comment at the same time you posted this

you did but its still not really legit- grindewald didn't duel gregorovitch or anything. he literally just steals the wand and attempts to cast a stunning spell at it's master, which missed. there was no duel at all.

now if theft is enough to force a change in ownership of a wizard's wand, that's a good argument, but honestly it breaks the stories even more considering harry lifted like 3 wands off people in the chaos of the fight where Dobby showed up and got killed.
  • iMago
    Options
    cdbit5vrbimi.jpg

YES

NO
    ITS GOOD

BUT I THINK RON IS DEAD?

Technically I answered this except I edited my previous comment at the same time you posted this

you did but its still not really legit- grindewald didn't duel gregorovitch or anything. he literally just steals the wand and attempts to cast a stunning spell at it's master, which missed. there was no duel at all.

now if theft is enough to force a change in ownership of a wizard's wand, that's a good argument, but honestly it breaks the stories even more considering harry lifted like 3 wands off people in the chaos of the fight where Dobby showed up and got killed.

I don't think it missed...? At least that's not what I've read

totally missed. because the wand wouldnt let itself be used against its own master like that. and that's just the book. the movie version- he doesn't even cast a spell. just snatches the wand and ducks out the window. gregorovitch even says that it was "stolen" from him. right before riddle kills him.
  • iMago
    Options
    cdbit5vrbimi.jpg

YES

NO
    ITS GOOD

BUT I THINK RON IS DEAD?

I don't think it missed...? At least that's not what I've read

totally missed. because the wand wouldnt let itself be used against its own master like that. and that's just the book. the movie version- he doesn't even cast a spell. just snatches the wand and ducks out the window. gregorovitch even says that it was "stolen" from him. right before riddle kills him.

That's true. I'll admit that I definitely might've just filled in the logic gap in my own head to make it all line up

kypnptsd9g08.jpeg
  • cee134
    Options
    @cee134 correct me if I'm wrong but isnt fridays when @DeadliftsAndSprinkles is supposed to draw us something?

I want a unicorn flexing for Friday

As long as someone requests something.
  • CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,558 Member
    Options
    @cee134 correct me if I'm wrong but isnt fridays when @DeadliftsAndSprinkles is supposed to draw us something?

Unicorn flexing? Wearing an RIP Ron Weasley shirt

IT MUST HAPPEN
  • CaptainFantastic01
    Options

IT MUST HAPPEN

Do it.

Instead of now I will say please
  • cee134
    Options
    cee134 correct me if I'm wrong but isnt fridays when @DeadliftsAndSprinkles is supposed to draw us something?

IT MUST HAPPEN

Do it.

Do it please. Now.

Probably should tag her so she knows. @DeadliftsandMapleSyrup
  • cee134
    Options
    I am a HP fan, but in no way an expert, and needed to look up this Elder Wand biz.

Perhaps the most famous fallacy surrounding the Elder Wand is the supposition that the prospective owner must kill the current one. This came at a cost for Lord Voldemort, who falsely assumed that murdering Severus Snape was the key to the wand’s control. Though killing has been a popular method of claiming the wand (see the ‘long and bloody history’ section for examples), it is by no means the only way.

We know the Elder Wand allied with Draco Malfoy, who disarmed rather than killed Albus Dumbledore. It later switched its loyalty to Harry Potter during his escape from Malfoy Manor. While deaths did occur in both situations (Dumbledore and Dobby respectively), neither Draco nor Harry committed the act. Similarly, Albus Dumbledore managed to control the Elder Wand without killing its previous master who, in fact, outlived him.

However, the belief that the Elder Wand will automatically switch allegiance whenever the owner is disarmed is also false, for one very important reason...

The Elder Wand decides its own destiny

Mr Ollivander’s famous statement ‘the wand chooses the wizard’ rings just as true for the Elder Wand as any other. However, according to J.K. Rowling, there are some distinct tendencies in its manner of choosing: ‘The Elder Wand knows no loyalty except to strength. So it’s completely unsentimental. It will only go where the power is.’

https://www.pottermore.com/features/everything-we-know-about-the-elder-wand
  • CaptainFantastic01
    Options
    cee134 correct me if I'm wrong but isnt fridays when @DeadliftsAndSprinkles is supposed to draw us something?

IT MUST HAPPEN

Do it.

Do it please. Now.

Probably should tag her so she knows. @DeadliftsandMapleSyrup

M this is your name now
  • iMago
    Options
    I am a HP fan, but in no way an expert, and needed to look up this Elder Wand biz.

Perhaps the most famous fallacy surrounding the Elder Wand is the supposition that the prospective owner must kill the current one. This came at a cost for Lord Voldemort, who falsely assumed that murdering Severus Snape was the key to the wand’s control. Though killing has been a popular method of claiming the wand (see the ‘long and bloody history’ section for examples), it is by no means the only way.

We know the Elder Wand allied with Draco Malfoy, who disarmed rather than killed Albus Dumbledore. It later switched its loyalty to Harry Potter during his escape from Malfoy Manor. While deaths did occur in both situations (Dumbledore and Dobby respectively), neither Draco nor Harry committed the act. Similarly, Albus Dumbledore managed to control the Elder Wand without killing its previous master who, in fact, outlived him.

However, the belief that the Elder Wand will automatically switch allegiance whenever the owner is disarmed is also false, for one very important reason...

The Elder Wand decides its own destiny

Mr Ollivander’s famous statement ‘the wand chooses the wizard’ rings just as true for the Elder Wand as any other. However, according to J.K. Rowling, there are some distinct tendencies in its manner of choosing: ‘The Elder Wand knows no loyalty except to strength. So it’s completely unsentimental. It will only go where the power is.’

https://www.pottermore.com/features/everything-we-know-about-the-elder-wand

read that myself but its still a broken theory- to accept that theory, and the novels as written, you'd have to accept that Grindewald *did* take true ownership of the elder wand...

but he didn't win by power, he won by theft, a cowardly act. the elder wand most likely wouldn't respect ownership by a coward, by a person who didn't even risk his own life for it.

if anything- i'd think the wand *would* have chosen Riddle even more so after she made that statement. the wand, along with the other hallows, was meant to help make one the master of death. and Riddle had already done that on his own, without a single deathly hallow in his possession.

you could make an argument that the wand itself is truly sentient, and could maybe even have a way to determine it's own destiny, and thus it changed it's allegiance to wind up with whoever it wanted in the end sure...but that's taking things pretty far for something she never actually wrote.