Hands cramping

Options
Hello... looking for advice on how to increase my hand strength I guess. I'm trying to consistently increase the amount of weight I'm using - dumbbells specifically - and my hands just cramp up and want to give out well before the muscle I'm working does. I'm assuming my hands are just not increasing strength very quickly? I worked out 10 hours ago at this point today and my hands are still sore when i try to stretch them out. Mostly my joints in my fingers and all across my palm. Maybe I'm just 'gripping' wrong. Idk. I'd appreciate any advice!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Are you squeezing them when you grip them? Pressing movements your fingers are just there to keep it from rolling out of your hand. Pulling movements you should be thinking light grip. Your wrists should be mostly straight, you might be curling your wrists causing you to grip tighter.
    gallery-1429300562-panel.jpg?resize=768:*
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Do some farmer's carries as as finisher for your workout.
    http://www.stack.com/a/farmers-walks

Great overall exercise.
  • Juan2manyTacos
    Juan2manyTacos Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It might be that you aren’t hydrated enough. Drink more water than usual and see if that helps
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Try squeezing a tennis ball or a rolled up towel for a minute every hour or 2. Follow that with a minute of hand stretches. Search youtube for those. Post an update after a few days. :+1:
  • Breezer628
    Breezer628 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It might be that you aren’t hydrated enough. Drink more water than usual and see if that helps

I drink a disgusting amount of water as it is... I wish dehydration was the problem. Thanks for the advice though !
  • Breezer628
    Breezer628 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Try squeezing a tennis ball or a rolled up towel for a minute every hour or 2. Follow that with a minute of hand stretches. Search youtube for those. Post an update after a few days. :+1:

That sounds like a great idea... didn't see this until now so i'll try tomorrow!! Thank you!