Trying to control my urge for sweets.

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't stay away from them...it's easy to incorporate a moderate amount of sweets into one's diet. I just had 3 dark chocolate squares for desert after my lunch...
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Be aware that urges and eating are two completely different things. In your headline you're talking about controlling urges. You can't, really. Urges come and go, and there's nothing you can or should try to do about them. But eating or not eating is something you can control. No wonder you're finding it hard to stay away from sweets - sweets are everywhere, all the time, these days, unless we make a conscious effort to modify our environment. The first thing you have to do (and possibly the only thing you can do about it), is to not bring home anything you don't want to eat. The second thing you can do, is to stop telling yourself (if you do that) that there's something wrong with you, or with chocolate. Chocolate is delicious, and like many delicious foods, calorie dense. That doesn't make it evil. You like delicious foods. That doesn't make you a weak person. You can enjoy chocolate, and any other food, in moderation.

I noticed OP's use of the phrase "stay away from" too, and agree it's very helpful to not keep the stuff in the house. Unfortunately, I have a family and a hubby who- no kidding- brings home $50 worth of marked down chocolate from Walmart after every holiday (he's slim & fit but has twice the calorie allowance that I do). If I lived alone, there would never be anything more than a single-serve candy bar in the house. ;)
  • AmandaGarcia9999
    AmandaGarcia9999 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't stay away from them...it's easy to incorporate a moderate amount of sweets into one's diet. I just had 3 dark chocolate squares for desert after my lunch...

Nice
  • J_Fairfax
    J_Fairfax Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Oranges, I eat an orange when I crave something sweet.
  • AmandaGarcia9999
    AmandaGarcia9999 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I cant quit the chocolate and red velvet.
  • Sojo15
    Sojo15 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    These two recipes have no added sugar. Eat in moderation obviously. These are as good as a "real" dessert to me
    Chia pudding https://wellnessmama.com/59344/chia-seed-pudding/
    Date chocolate rolls http://www.anyaseats.com/chocolate-almond-date-balls/

Also I eat frozen red raspberries
    Orange slices with cinnamon
    Grapes

For salty treat, I chop up 5 olives and a tomato, eat on a rice cake or by itself

If I eat protein the urge for sweets is less
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Nefrella wrote: »
    I just ate one of these - and they are amazing. High protein, not bad taste. Heat it up for a few seconds and *voila*
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IQCP4N6/ref=twister_B074XP6QPD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

These are high in protein which is a plus, and I am all about a good protein bar, but I would rather use those 350 calories on some real chocolate, preferably dark.