Pesto salad

Options
Today i made my own pesto salad, bow tie pasta, green pesto (jar), light mayonnaise, medallion bacon, chorizo, mushroom, courgette, black olives, spinach, parmigiano cheese.
Bacon, chorizo, mushroom, courgette and spinach were cooked in a big dish with some coconut spray oil.
How do I work out the amount of calories even approximately? I ate a container with 450gr of the pasta salad. I found an entry that gave me 466 calories for the 450gr, but other entries of pesto salad were well above this. Any advice would be appreciated
J

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Using random entries for homemade foods isn't going to be accurate - you have no idea how the food was prepared, how it compares to your own recipe etc.

If you are planning on eating a portion of something you make, entering the weights of all the raw ingredients in to the recipe builder would be a good start. This will calculate the nutrition info for the whole dish.

If you are eating the whole lot yourself over a few meals, you could just divide the amount into the number of serves you plan on having. If you aren't eating it all yourself, and want better accuracy, weigh the final cooked/prepared food and use this weight as the number of 1g serves.
    Weigh yourself a portion, the weight is the number of serves you would enter in your diary.
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Using random entries for homemade foods isn't going to be accurate - you have no idea how the food was prepared, how it compares to your own recipe etc.......

OK thank you. Except for the bacon and chorizo, i would say that the rest were "healthy" ingredients, there were entries for homemade pesto pasta salad, but 450gr were giving me ~1000 calories, which seems a lot.

Next time i will try what you said, weighting all the raw ingredients and then weight the final dish, and divide it to know how much every gram' s calories intake, I guess it would give me a better idea

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    jc1961AA wrote: »
    Using random entries for homemade foods isn't going to be accurate - you have no idea how the food was prepared, how it compares to your own recipe etc.......

OK thank you. Except for the bacon and chorizo, i would say that the rest were "healthy" ingredients, there were entries for homemade pesto pasta salad, but 450gr were giving me ~1000 calories, which seems a lot.

Next time i will try what you said, weighting all the raw ingredients and then weight the final dish, and divide it to know how much every gram' s calories intake, I guess it would give me a better idea

Healthy has nothing to do with calories. Many healthy foods are calorie dense - especially fats, of which your salad had plenty!
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    True