how many calories should I take in?

Options
Hi,

I recently bought a scale that measures bmi/bone mass/etc. On it, it says that I should be taking 1890 calories based of my information (i'm 5'5, 174#). But according to MFP I should do 1200. Just wondering what I should follow or just go halfway in between? My goal is to lose 2lbs a week. I first lost 6 # but now have been staying steady, although I my waist size has dropped about 2inches.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    First of all MFP is basing 1200 on the fact that you want to lose 2 pounds a week. BUT, 2 pounds a week may or may not be an approriate goal for you.

Weight loss goal (pounds per week)
    75+ lbs to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs range

MFP also assumes ZERO exercise. So, when you log exercise with MFP, those calories are added back (you get to eat more). Think of the added calories as fuel for your workouts (you can't run your car on an empty tank).

If you choose a calorie goal of more than 1200 .... then you just lose a little slower .... slow is actually a good thing. When weight loss is too fast you can be losing muscle as well as fat...... this is why you need an appropriate goal.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Why not try the midway point as you suggested and give it a couple of weeks to see how things go?

I am 5ft 4 in and started at 185lbs I ate at the 1200 cals a day plus exercise cals and lost around 1.5 to 2 lbs per week.

I have been maintaining for around 8 months at the MFP target of 1560 cals plus exercise cals.

It really is up to you as an individual to try to decide whether to go with the MFP goals or try your own thing
  • Love_Is_My_Fuel
    Love_Is_My_Fuel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    First of all MFP is basing 1200 on the fact that you want to lose 2 pounds a week. BUT, 2 pounds a week may or may not be an approriate goal for you.

Weight loss goal (pounds per week)
    75+ lbs to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs range

MFP also assumes ZERO exercise. So, when you log exercise with MFP, those calories are added back (you get to eat more). Think of the added calories as fuel for your workouts (you can't run your car on an empty tank).

If you choose a calorie goal of more than 1200 .... then you just lose a little slower .... slow is actually a good thing. When weight loss is too fast you can be losing muscle as well as fat...... this is why you need an appropriate goal.

^^THIS.....

I was losing 2 lbs. at first because I had over 100 lbs. to lose but now that I'm half way I'm down to 1-1.5 lb loss per week. It's very very very very.... <--cannot stress that enough.....VERYYYYYYY important that you eat enough healthy food to sustain a healthy lifestyle. Just remember how long it took you to gain the weight...it's not going to come off overnight and 2lb. loss a week is very unrealistic for someone your size. What's the rush?
  • Robert2_
    Robert2_ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help :) It definitely helped