Should I do a cheat week?

Options
Hi everyone, I've been giving my diet/change in lifestyle another go. It's been about 2 months and I've lost 16 pounds in total - went from 161 to 145. I'm going on a trip to Paris for a week soon and I'm REALLY debating on a cheat week but don't know if it will be worth it. It's my first time going there and I will probably not be able to go again for a long time. My question is - should I go all out and eat everything my heart desires while on this trip or should I set restrictions? My goal weight is 125 lbs so I'm not too far off - only another 20 lbs to go. I'm just scared I'll gain back the 15 lbs if I go crazy during that week LOL.

I've done cheat weekends where I was able to bounce back fairly quickly after resuming my regular diet. But this is 7 days not 2 days and I'm scared the pounds will be harder to shed!

Any insight/advice is highly appreciated! I just want to lose the weight for good!

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    No. The whole concept of cheating isn't exactly a positive trait. So why consider it for eating?

If you're going to be exposed to new foods, I'd say try them, but watch your portion sizes very carefully. Have a tiny bit of everything. And there would perhaps be a few items you know you can skip altogether.

Enjoy your trip.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the food, try to control your portions. A smaller breakfast may help if you plan on indulging at dinner.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I'd enjoy the food with appropriate portion sizes. My husband and I went to WDW for a week, enjoyed all the food but split most of the meals as their sized are huge. We came away without gaining and enjoyed ourselves.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I went to Germany for a week. I stayed with my friend, so I was able to cook my normal b'fast everyday. We did go out for lunch and dinner everday...I also drank a litre of beer everyday. I didn't gain a pound. We walked or rode bikes everywhere.

How mamy times are you going to spend a week in Paris? I would eat all of the pastries.
  • Blooperss
    Blooperss Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Paris? There are countless amazing beautiful things to see, walk to.. it is chalk full of fresh new experiences. The people are thin...there is fashion galore. who wants to go to Paris to get fat? To answer your question. No, eating your way through paris to regain 10 pounds is very American for sure. I've just dropped 17.5 pounds and headed to Rome in March.. i'm focusing on what i'm going to learn and see and for once not let food rule my life. I'm coming b back with a fabulous Italian leather jacket to sport on my new thin body. I"m thinking on how i might even bring a scale in my luggage so i can weigh daily to make sure I don't regain. For once, I want a trip to be about the place..not stuffing my face.

I won't lie, half of the reason why I travel is to taste and experience different types of foods out there. I mean, I plan on doing a lot of other things too, but I will always be a foodie no matter what weight I'm at.
    kgb6days wrote: »
    I'd enjoy the food with appropriate portion sizes. My husband and I went to WDW for a week, enjoyed all the food but split most of the meals as their sized are huge. We came away without gaining and enjoyed ourselves.

Congrats on not gaining while on vacation, its definitely a challenge!! I have an annual Disney pass since I live 30 mins away and always try to eat before I spend my day at the park so that I only indulge in one meal. All the walking makes me feel no guilt at all!
    I went to Germany for a week. I stayed with my friend, so I was able to cook my normal b'fast everyday. We did go out for lunch and dinner everday...I also drank a litre of beer everyday. I didn't gain a pound. We walked or rode bikes everywhere.

How mamy times are you going to spend a week in Paris? I would eat all of the pastries.

Haha, those are my exact thoughts!! I think I'll try to have light breakfasts and bigger lunches/dinners. We do plan on walking a ton, so hopefully it won't get too bad! I'm ok with gaining back 5 lbs (and fully expect to), but I can lose that easy :)
  • Blooperss
    Blooperss Posts: 42 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Enjoy yourself. It's Paris! You'll find that you're going to do a ton of walking. I was there for 10 days and didn't restrict my eating at all, walked all day nearly every day. Chances are you won't eat as much as you think. You'll get full faster than you think. The meals weren't huge there. Lots of breads and pastries but regular meals as well. Eat intuitively, don't eat just to eat, and not to the point where you make yourself sick. Decide before hand that you'll get right back on when you get home. I think you'll be fine. By the way, one of my favorite areas was Bastille. I just loved it there. I also sat through a service at Notre Dame which was amazing and very intense. Just beautiful. Have a blast!

I have so many questions! Is it ok if I shoot you a message later today to solicit some tips/advice for Paris?

And thank you everyone else, I'll definitely look into fasting and the "diet break" :) Any other suggestions are highly appreciated!
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Blooperss wrote: »
    Enjoy yourself. It's Paris! You'll find that you're going to do a ton of walking. I was there for 10 days and didn't restrict my eating at all, walked all day nearly every day. Chances are you won't eat as much as you think. You'll get full faster than you think. The meals weren't huge there. Lots of breads and pastries but regular meals as well. Eat intuitively, don't eat just to eat, and not to the point where you make yourself sick. Decide before hand that you'll get right back on when you get home. I think you'll be fine. By the way, one of my favorite areas was Bastille. I just loved it there. I also sat through a service at Notre Dame which was amazing and very intense. Just beautiful. Have a blast!

I have so many questions! Is it ok if I shoot you a message later today to solicit some tips/advice for Paris?

And thank you everyone else, I'll definitely look into fasting and the "diet break" :) Any other suggestions are highly appreciated!

Sure. Feel free to message me!
  • getnickripped
    getnickripped Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You have to make a lifestyle commitment or you will struggle. Eat what you like just weigh your food and count your calories. Think of your calories on a weekly basis vs daily. Like today I may go over my daily limit by 500 cals. So tomorrow or over the next 6 days I'll cut that 500 back either in a day or a few days. But I'll be eating bacon and eggs, pizza, brownies ice cream. Im not doing steamed rice and broccoli. Rather the extra work in the gym. Where im going now✌
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Just have reasonable portions of food and drinks and don't weigh yourself for a week after you get home.
    I think you'd have to really work at gaining 15 lbs of fat in a week just like you didn't lose it in one week. You might have some water retention though.