MFP take two. I can do it this time!

Options
amberkins
amberkins Posts: 25 Member
This is my second attempt at MFP. The first time i had no internet at home and it made it very difficult to keep a daily account of my progress, or lack of progress. I just had internet installed this week and here I am again giving it a go. I have lots a little weight since my last attempt, only about 5 ish lbs. I really want to do things right this time. I am even buying a digital scale on Friday so i can have a more accurate number.

I would really like to learn some ways to eat better, I am on a tight budget, lately i have been on a one meal a day diet, not by choice, but need. and i know that that isn't a health thing to do but what else can i do?

anyway, I am really excited to start a new life. and would love to hear tips, success stories, as well as struggles. I'm a big girl and have a long road ahead of me but i'm here for the duration.

Replies

• rexrem
    rexrem Posts: 3
    Options
    good luck! you can do it!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I have a digital scale and it is horrible. It can swing 10 lbs easily and almost never provide the same number twice. I'm not saying you couldn't find one that is good, but don't knock the old spring loaded ones. You'll know with one of these if what you're doing is working or not.

As for only eating once a day, yes that is very bad. Is there any way that you could at least have some little snacks, like some sort of protein bar or something? Your current eating style is killing your metabolism. if you try to take in less calories while still only eating one meal, I can see it only dropping more.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    This is my second attempt at MFP. The first time i had no internet at home and it made it very difficult to keep a daily account of my progress, or lack of progress. I just had internet installed this week and here I am again giving it a go. I have lots a little weight since my last attempt, only about 5 ish lbs. I really want to do things right this time. I am even buying a digital scale on Friday so i can have a more accurate number.

I would really like to learn some ways to eat better, I am on a tight budget, lately i have been on a one meal a day diet, not by choice, but need. and i know that that isn't a health thing to do but what else can i do?

anyway, I am really excited to start a new life. and would love to hear tips, success stories, as well as struggles. I'm a big girl and have a long road ahead of me but i'm here for the duration.
    Hey there welcome back:drinker:

How about a food scale, you have one of those too? That really comes in sooooo handy to track yourself. One meal a day is not great, you're right, but sounds like you already know that. I don't know what the meal is but is it something that can be divided up to split it into say, 3 or more meals? If it's a big salad with protein etc., could you break it down and have 3 small meals instead? You want to have a good healthy filling breakfast after fasting all night but you also want to have energy to get you through your entire day. Then you'll need fuel for your workout and the rest of the evening. Plenty of water is a wonderful thing for your body as well:drinker:

I know at times when money is tight, food seems to be the first thing to go but that can really effect your health in a negative way, so if there's any way you can divide up your one meal your body would be very happy!!

Good luck!
    Becca:flowerforyou:
  • amberkins
    amberkins Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know the eating is horrible for me. pay day is friday so it will look better then. I was anorexic in high school, i ate a granola bar a day, i dropped a lot of weight, but i gained it back ten fold once i started eating again, and killed my metabolism for good i fear.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I know the eating is horrible for me. pay day is friday so it will look better then. I was anorexic in high school, i ate a granola bar a day, i dropped a lot of weight, but i gained it back ten fold once i started eating again, and killed my metabolism for good i fear.
    YAY for payday then! Well it's even more important you break the habit of one meal a day eating if that's what you did years ago. We definitely don't want that to happen to you again.

Think of food that can be used in various ways, think protein- eggs you can scramble them, hard boil them (for snacks or salads or sandwiches), use them in a veggie omlet.

Chicken breasts can be added to dark greens, used in stirfries, made into a sandwich, pita pocket, pita pizza, etc.

PB, good for a protein with an apple, cheese with fruit is a great combo for a snack (I call my meals snacks and do 5-6 a days as I spread them out), handful of peanuts (portion) with an orange or other fruit.

Brown rice, whole wheat pasta, Healthy whole wheat bread, these things can be purchased relatively low cost especially if you go bulk with the rice and pasta. With the first two you can toss in some veggies and protein and have a really healthy meal,cold or warm.

Well just some ideas as I know it's tough at first hitting the stores and figuring it all out when starting out again. Buy seasonal and local and definitely check out those farmers markets, great healthy produce there and typcially far better deals!

Have fun and great to have you here Amber:flowerforyou:
    Becca
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Many, may years ago, I was a poor college student. My then boyfriend (now hubby) and some of my room mates were surprised by just how much from scratch cooking I did. Some of it was because I liked my own cooking better (a mixed blessing) and part of it was because it was so much cheaper to cook from scratch than to do processed or take out foods.

Cooking for 1 is harder than what I do now (cooking for 6). I totally agree that the once a day eating is bad. You can however, with a little planning, cook once a day so that you've cooked for several meals.

Friend me if you would like some advice how to do that.

Good luck!