How long should I be holding my squats?

Options
I originally thought when going down to squat, that you were supposed to hold them for 3 to 5 seconds. But I've recently come across information that said I should be holding them for 15 seconds or more. So in your guys a opinion, how long should I be holding my squats to get the maximum results.

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I don't hold any of my squats. What is your goal? I assume you are doing bodyweight squats? I don't know much about bodyweight work but I have great results from barbell squatting.
  • Juan2manyTacos
    Juan2manyTacos Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    1 second at the most.
  • gamerkuro
    gamerkuro Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I don't hold any of my squats. What is your goal? I assume you are doing bodyweight squats? I don't know much about bodyweight work but I have great results from barbell squatting.

I'm using barbells and I'm trying to gain muscle in my glutes
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Unless you are doing a pause squat (which is a different variation), you don't have to hold it. Are you doing it with weights or bodyweight? If you are using lighter weights/bands/bodyweight and wanting to add more challenge you can add a pause at the bottom.
  • RC4655
    RC4655 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Pause squats to improve your squat are generally done for two seconds. If your just training to build muscle, you don't need to pause. Olympic lifters use long pauses to improve their lifts but most powerlifters do not do more than two seconds.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    gamerkuro wrote: »
    I originally thought when going down to squat, that you were supposed to hold them for 3 to 5 seconds. But I've recently come across information that said I should be holding them for 15 seconds or more. So in your guys a opinion, how long should I be holding my squats to get the maximum results.
    Where are you getting your information from? Holding any resistance for a long period of time (5 seconds or more) is more ISOMETRIC training. Builds some strength and is usually for people who are rehabbing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I only hold for 3 seconds even when I am doing paused squats-the rest of the time is just up+down (within reason... I'm not rushing through it either). Totally agree with bbell about the hip thrusts too for gaining glute mass. :smile:
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I’ll do a pulse squat...but never a pause. I do pause and hold for thrusts..not every rep but each last rep of each set...but I do try negatives with thrusts, too with lighter weight for 8-12.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    gamerkuro wrote: »
    Where are you getting your information from? Holding any resistance for a long period of time (5 seconds or more) is more ISOMETRIC training. Builds some strength and is usually for people who are rehabbing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Also used to create metabolic stress.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I hold my one squat of the day each morning for about 7 min 43 sec.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Lol i dont do squats so i wouldn't know

So why did you see fit to say anything at all?

Maybe you should try them then.

OP. Pausing at the bottom is a vary vague description. Yes pause squats are useful, but when it comes to muscle growth total volume is the driving factor.

What kind of squats are you doing? Low bar, high bar, and front will all effect different parts of your legs at varying levels.

• bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm not certain about the "pause," but I can tell you that I was pleasantly surprised one day when I reached in my back pocket and realized the results of squats!

My mantra...squat a lot!
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Squat down, come back up. 15 sec? Yeah, with 200# on my back I'd be miserable doing that.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    If you can hold each rep for 15 sec or more you are going way to light for any kind of standard weight training. What does the person who told you this think they would be trying to do with a 15 second hold on each rep?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    BNY721 wrote: »
    I’ll do a pulse squat...but never a pause. I do pause and hold for thrusts..not every rep but each last rep of each set...but I do try negatives with thrusts, too with lighter weight for 8-12.

What’s with women and pulse reps.

Why not just do more complete reps resulting in a greater total work load and stress on the total muscle. Obviously for the “burn” pulses are better. But aside from squats why haven’t I ever seen anyone doing them for pull downs, deadlifts, flys, curls?

• BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    ^^
    I hardly do them, and I can’t answer for others. I was merely saying I have never done a pause, but a pulse. And I clearly do more complete reps. It was something I experimented with briefly with lighter weight. I wouldn’t even know what the hell that would look like with the lifts you mentioned especially deadlifts.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    BNY721 wrote: »

What’s with women and pulse reps.

Why not just do more complete reps resulting in a greater total work load and stress on the total muscle. Obviously for the “burn” pulses are better. But aside from squats why haven’t I ever seen anyone doing them for pull downs, deadlifts, flys, curls?

Sometimes it's not about loading the muscle with more weight which can affect recovery. I incorporate all kinds of pulses, pauses, holds, half-reps and the like to stimulate and activate the glutes and get a pump. I don't do it for other muscles mostly because I don't have an interest, also the glutes respond and grow best with different types of exercises (pumpers, stretchers and activators)