Iron goal

Options
Hi all, I struggle meeting my iron intake for the day. Any suggestions?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Foods on here are user entered and often don't contain information beyond calories, protein, carbs, and fat. Iron is something you don't want to supplement if you aren't anemic. If you are concerned about your iron intake see a doctor for blood work.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Do you use an iron skillet, eat red meat and eat fortified cereal with iron? Has your doctor told you that you are lacking?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    1. Many MFP entries are incomplete. I’ve had iron rich meal plans and MFP still told me I was under. So you might be reaching your daily RDA without even realizing it.
    2. Do you have diagnosed low iron?
    3. If you have an iron deficiency you may not be able to raise it even by getting your RDA through food. Therapeutic iron supplements are many times higher than the RDA.
    4. Calcium/dairy cancels out iron absorption. Both calcium and iron are active elements and will compete with each other. So eat your dairy/calcium separate from your iron.
    5. Vitamin C/citrus aids iron absorption.
    6. Google lucky iron fish, a cool way to add iron to your rice, pasta, soups and stews.

Foods rich in iron include liver, spinach, raisins, and iron fortified bran cereals.