What "diet" life change would you call this?

Options
I feel like I don't have a set "diet" that I'm doing, but there are so so many different branches out there that maybe I'm just doing one without noticing?

Currently, I consume all fruits and vegetables, all meats with proper food portion, fowls and fish, no eggs, no dairy products. No starchy foods, no breads pasta, No processed foods, no junk foods, limited sugar consumption and will have honey. I feel like its a mix of whole foods diet and low carb? Keto? I still dont fully get keto. -_-
But, what I'm eating I feel like is very healthy and all but what "diet" would you call it?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel like it needs a label? If you're in a restaurant, just ask questions about what's in a dish if you're not sure if it fits your restrictions. Same thing if you're at somebody's house, and you'd rather adhere to non-medical, non-ethical, non-religious based restrictions than just eat what's being served. In any other situation, most people really don't care what you do and don't eat -- unless it's to get into an argument with you about why their way is better than your way. If you don't label how you eat, you can probably avoid a lot of those arguments.
  • SalmonSister
    SalmonSister Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    @sheena_shewell I'm pretty happy with it, it doesn't feel like work to me, just seeing if I could pair it with a diet fad just so I can look at some new recipes is the main reason :) it definitely is a life change for me!
  • sheena_shewell
    sheena_shewell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    @SalmonSister well if it's recipes you are after i suggest you look into the Paleo diet as it seems to align with your eating preferences. Also look into Clean eating and raw clean treats if you are after some healthy treats. Cheers Sheena.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    @sheena_shewell I'm pretty happy with it, it doesn't feel like work to me, just seeing if I could pair it with a diet fad just so I can look at some new recipes is the main reason :) it definitely is a life change for me!

In that case, I think I would just search for non-dairy recipes, or non-dairy whole-food recipes. Other than recipes with grains, I would think most of what you would find would fit your restrictions.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I agree that Paleo recipes would probably align pretty well with what you're doing.
  • SalmonSister
    SalmonSister Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone! I'm pretty excited to try more recipes, I just tried califlower rice for the first time, omg. I'm in love. There are just so many great recipes out there and I know I'm in line with at least one "diet" out there, just don't really care to follow them. I'm doing great and feeling great about it :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone! I'm pretty excited to try more recipes, I just tried califlower rice for the first time, omg. I'm in love. There are just so many great recipes out there and I know I'm in line with at least one "diet" out there, just don't really care to follow them. I'm doing great and feeling great about it :)

I'm another person who doesn't see the need to label how I eat. I also find that I rarely use recipes - I just put the foods I want to eat together in appetising combinations, and choose appropriate cooking/prep techniques. I also have a great spice drawer in my kitchen

I often look at recipes for inspiration - flavour combinations, ingredient combinations etc. Regardless of whether I eat all the foods in the recipe, I can get ideas from them and usually make up something that suits me.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If it's recipes to fit your preferred diet you're after - do this: Google [recipe meal name -eggs - milk -flour -potato], and continue minusing any unwanted food that keeps popping up in your search.

If you want to eat healthily (including maintaining weight), it's much easier to just eat whatever you like in moderate amounts. If you're overweight, or have had a health scare (real or from the media), yo can start to think that food is the enemy, and cutting out as much as possible, will look like the obvious solution. But overly and random restriction tends to lead to rebound overeating. Veganism, kosher, halal etc is not "too restricted" because it's tied up to a belief system (and makes at least a bit sense).
  • haleyrhart
    haleyrhart Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree, It's Paleo/Primal. If you like podcasts try listening to The primal blueprint, and The wild diet.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree with paleo/primal. It may also be a "clean" diet - Tosca Reno has some recipe books called the Eat Clean Diet. It could also be low carb. LCHF is pretty popular right now so there are many recipes online.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I feel like I don't have a set "diet" that I'm doing, but there are so so many different branches out there that maybe I'm just doing one without noticing?

Currently, I consume all fruits and vegetables, all meats with proper food portion, fowls and fish, no eggs, no dairy products. No starchy foods, no breads pasta, No processed foods, no junk foods, limited sugar consumption and will have honey. I feel like its a mix of whole foods diet and low carb? Keto? I still dont fully get keto. -_-
    But, what I'm eating I feel like is very healthy and all but what "diet" would you call it?

The general term for this (I think) would be an elimination diet. I can't do elimination as a lifestyle change (as in forever). I can only do elimination short-tern (as in diet). For me, weight loss needs to teach me some forever habits, that I can use to maintain the weight I lost.

All things in moderation is my approach. No more short-term for me.