Getting enough protein

Options
How do you guys do it? My macros are 50% carbs, 25 fat and 25 protein. I can barely maje it it to 20% protein. I eat yogurt, lentils, tuna, chicken and meat, but cannot eat meat at every meal. I’m losing weight, but would like to get to where I need to be with macro goal set up by a nutritionist.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    20% protein is probably fine. Do you feel fine?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I do 130g a protein a day - probably 30% comes from non typical protein sources - pasta, barley, Farro, sweet potato - not a lot (7-10g per serving but it adds up)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    How many grams of protein is the 20% of macros providing?

Most beef jerkys are high in protein vs calories. Just picked some up, 60 calories, 12g of protein (80% of the calories). Also have some Protein2O, 60 calories 15g protein (100% protein).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How do you guys do it? My macros are 50% carbs, 25 fat and 25 protein. I can barely maje it it to 20% protein. I eat yogurt, lentils, tuna, chicken and meat, but cannot eat meat at every meal. I’m losing weight, but would like to get to where I need to be with macro goal set up by a nutritionist.

What are your stats and how much protein is 20% in grams?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    How much do you want to eat? During the week, i eat fish once a day, but otherwise all my other protein is vegetarian - I aim for, and easily get 130g.

Have you tried increasing the amount of protein foods you eat per meal? More yoghurt (I add protein powder to high protein, low fat natural yoghurt for more protein, flavour and sweetness without adding carbs). Other dairy. A bigger serve of meat.
  • LarryRacesBikes
    LarryRacesBikes Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Protein Powder - I use Naked Whey. Your protein is likely ok, I think seeing the numbers and realizing the low percentage of protein in your diet is just freaking you out.
  • MailOrderBride
    MailOrderBride Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Which macro are you routinely over in, since you're under on protein? Look for opportunities to switch out those types of foods with more of the protein-rich foods you already consume.

Alternatively, you could add supplemental protein in the form of a protein powder, either mixed into your yogurt or as a shake, or protein bars. Eggs/egg whites, milk, and cheese also supply protein, along with fat and other nutrients.

I’m over in fat. I eat full fat Whole Foods, most have protein, but my “nuts” obsession outweighs in fat. I have no issue with carbs and am usually at 40%. I also have a huge issue with sugar - I eat A LOT of fruit. Makes me feel bad when it warns me that I’m over in sugar, but I don’t eat processed sugar so it’s weird.

Anyway, protein - I fear supplements and powders, any natural options that I could Incorporate at every meal?

• MailOrderBride
    Options
    How much do you want to eat? During the week, i eat fish once a day, but otherwise all my other protein is vegetarian - I aim for, and easily get 130g.

Have you tried increasing the amount of protein foods you eat per meal? More yoghurt (I add protein powder to high protein, low fat natural yoghurt for more protein, flavour and sweetness without adding carbs). Other dairy. A bigger serve of meat.

I’d love to hear more about your veggie protein sources. I eat tons of yogurt, eggs, lentils, etc. For example, I just made Borcht, so I add Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream) for an added boost of protein.
  • MailOrderBride
    Options

What are your stats and how much protein is 20% in grams?

I need 78 grams to keep to the 25% target of a 1250 calorie plan.
  • MailOrderBride
    Options

I do feel hungry at night, and I think if I had more protein that would not necessarily be the case. (I try to not eat after 7) But I feel good, work out and motivated by the weight loss.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    I do feel hungry at night, and I think if I had more protein that would not necessarily be the case.
    Maybe, maybe not. What's your height and weight, and your calorie target, and do you hit it cosistently?
    (I try to not eat after 7)
    Why? And when do you go to bed?
    But I feel good, work out and motivated by the weight loss.
    I used to do/think that too. But I have found being motivated by my lifestyle much more sustainable.
  • MailOrderBride
    Options
    I do feel hungry at night, and I think if I had more protein that would not necessarily be the case.
    Maybe, maybe not. What's your height and weight, and your calorie target, and do you hit it cosistently?
    I used to do/think that too. But I have found being motivated by my lifestyle much more sustainable.

I feel best when I’ve had a certain time for fasting. If I’m hungry, I eat. For example I had a hearty breakfast this morning at 8am (I used to hate breakfast)

I’m 5”3 and 144 (down from 149 since 2.5 weeks ago). My ideal is 131, calories are 1250.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    How many grams of protein is the 20% of macros providing?

This is the question.

If you are at low calories, you do want to get 25%, probably -- I aimed for around 100 g when losing. If at higher calories look at what the range .65-.85 g per lb of a healthy goal weight is, and aim for somewhere in that range.

Edit: oh, I see it was answered -- yes, 78 g is a reasonable goal.

Usually if people have problems and don't eliminate higher protein foods for other reasons (as with vegans), the issue is one of two things:

Lots of calories come from meals or snacks that are low protein. For example, having almost no protein in lunch and breakfast and trying to make it all up at dinner. Think about ways to include protein in all meals and snacks.

Or (more rare), the protein sources you rely on are actually not that high protein (bacon or sausage as the meat you eat, meat on bread in sandwich form mostly, peanut butter). Check that out and if you eat meat realize that some options are higher protein than others for the calories (no, this does not mean you can only eat chicken breast).

As others have said, look at what you tend to go over on and reduce that and increase protein, often it's just adjusting serving size or adding some into meals that are low on it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, I think you want this to go in Food and Nutrition, OP, not debate. You can ask that it be moved.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I switched to Greek yogurt for a whopping 22 g protein per cup. I buy the plane either 2% or whole milk Greek yogurt. I have lemonade water flavoring packets and I mix one of them in with it to make it taste like lemon yogurt.... It has 5 calories but a ton of taste to the yogurt as I don't like it plain. I also sprinkle about a half a cup of Special K protein cereal crumbled on top of it for another 5 grams of protein so there I have 27 grams of protein just at breakfast.

I started using flat out wraps instead of bread. They have 9 grams of protein for 90 or 100 calories depending on the wrap. And they also have eight grams of fiber per wrap. combine that with a pouch of tuna and maybe some cheese and I've got a lunch that's close to 30 grams of protein.

Dinner is easy I have a piece of meat chicken is very high in protein. Feel free to look at my diary... You see all kinds of weird stuff that I eat LOL but I always try to get my protein in. I choose snacks that are high in protein. Like Fiber 1 bars that have 5 grams of protein for 140 calories.

I am on a 1440 per day goal. Yesterday I went over my calories because I had too much candy LOL. But I did get all of my protein and then some.
  • MailOrderBride
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Oh, I think you want this to go in Food and Nutrition, OP, not debate. You can ask that it be moved.

We can debate!

Is protein all it’s cracked up to be? And is it better to have lower protein intake versus using supplements and powders?

• kommodevaran
    Options

I feel best when I’ve had a certain time for fasting. If I’m hungry, I eat. For example I had a hearty breakfast this morning at 8am (I used to hate breakfast)

I’m 5”3 and 144 (down from 149 since 2.5 weeks ago). My ideal is 131, calories are 1250.
    A target of 1250 might be a little low, unnecessary, and counterproductive. Your loss (thanks, I forgot to ask) seems to indicate that you've had a daily 250 calorie deficit (but we need data over a longer period to see the trend clearly); your TDEE at your current weight should be around 2000, which means that your real average calorie intake in this period would have been around 1750. Try to "hear" this without any judgemental tone - what I'm trying to say is that if you up your calorie goal a bit, you'll be better able to stick to a calorie deficit, and not have to worry about hunger or not getting enough of any nutrient.
  • MailOrderBride
    Options

A target of 1250 might be a little low, unnecessary, and counterproductive. Your loss (thanks, I forgot to ask) seems to indicate that you've had a daily 250 calorie deficit (but we need data over a longer period to see the trend clearly); your TDEE at your current weight should be around 2000, which means that your real average calorie intake in this period would have been around 1750. Try to "hear" this without any judgemental tone - what I'm trying to say is that if you up your calorie goal a bit, you'll be better able to stick to a calorie deficit, and not have to worry about hunger or not getting enough of any nutrient.

Thanks so much for the insight! I actually took a breathing test at a nutritionist that showed that I have slightly lower than average metabolism. So my TDEE is right under 1800, before exercise. She recommended 1390 for losing 1 pound a week, I went down to 1250 to try to get two, knowing that I’m new to logging and it may not always be accurate. I just need to get back to my normal weight and then I’m on to the 1400/day plan.