Cooking With Rapeseed Oil

Options
I’m currently looking at reducing body fat and on a cut. Every day I’m at My Protein and carbs, but way under on good fats. I’ve been told olive oil is good to dress, but when heated it becaimes a ‘bad fat’. Alternatively I’ve been told rapeseed oil is better to cook with as it has a higher smoke point. Any tips?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't become obsessed. Eat a variety of foods, and not too much in total.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I thought only extra virgin olive oil went bad if heated? My Italian ancestors have cooked with olive oil for generations!

Like @kommodevaran said, don't overthink it. I tend to eat pretty low fat without meaning to as well. I've been trying to eat more fish, eggs, and nuts, I buy avocados whenever they're not insanely expensive, and I cook with olive oil or butter when I think of it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    If you tend to cook at very high temperatures, get an oil with a higher smoking point. If you're only going to saute over a medium heat, olive oil should be fine. As kommodevaran said, don't become obsessed.

I used to keep both extra-virgin and "regular" olive oil, not because EVOO goes bad when heated, but because the niceties of the flavor profile you're paying the extra money for tend to disappear when heated, so it's a waste of money. But I'm not cooking for as many people these days, and it's an even bigger waste to have several different kinds of oil sitting in the kitchen that they don't get used up before they start to go rancid. These days I look for oil in smaller bottles, made of dark glass (to keep out the light and avoid the off-gassing some plastics seem to experience), and limit myself to EVOO and maybe one high-temp oil, but when I run out of the latter, I try to hold off on replacing it until I'm planning to cook something I really need it for.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    It's not that big a deal: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/03/cooking-with-olive-oil-faq-safety-flavor.html

I don't high heat cook much, so don't worry about it, especially given the information above. I wouldn't deep fat fry with olive oil, of course, but I don't do that anyway. If I regularly cooked in a wok I might get different oil, but I don't do that either.

I think some like canola (rapeseed) because it's neutral, but eh, I don't, I like olive oil mostly. (I also use coconut oil if I think it goes better with the meal, though.)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you are on a cut you don’t need that much fat a day to hit your macros. I’d think a tablespoon would do it. You can make this up by using it in a salad dressing or by adding mayonnaise to your sandwich. Or you could cook up a couple slices of bacon. Or have nuts, nut butter. Or a fatty fish like salmon.

I have olive oil, sesame oil, and canola (rapeseed) oil in my pantry depending on what I am cooking. I’ve even added straight oil in to a nutritional shake.

Oh, yes, I have flax oil too as it is high in omega 3.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    You should go with consentualsexseed oil intstead of rapeseed.

And that's why U.S. manufacturers label it canola oil (because most rapeseed used in U.S. is grown in Canada, or at least was when they decided they needed a new name.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    you aren't required to hit the fat level set by the app. Assuming you're at a safe calorie level and you aren't feeling overly hungry by the end of the day, it's only extra calories that will slow down your cut.