One Day Failure

Options
So, yesterday during a social event I accepted a margarita from the host. Of course that led to an excess of snacking of chips, pretzels, grapes and such. I probably consumed an extra 700 calories. In the past this is how I go back to not dieting, one bad day and I’d give up.
How do you all stay in a positive mindset and move past a single day of failure?

Replies

• KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Learn from what happened, we all seem to have a trigger that opens the door to this sequence of behaviors. This leads to throwing in the towel.

Some triggers I still avoid or simply do not engage in. Others, I have grown stronger and can handle.
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Generally I’ve used it in the past to just quit with the thought of: ‘Well...since I ate poorly I might as well order a pizza and go pick up a gallon of ice cream...’

• 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Look at it like that was your treat for the week and move forward
  • sportychic87
    Options
    Google the "what the hell" effect. And realize that eating and drinking is your choice, that eating and drinking is pleasureable, that you're human, that you're not a failure.

I did google it. 100% true.
  • W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Just restart!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Try to increase your exercise over the next week or two and try to burn off some of those 700 calories. It can balance out if you continue to stick to the plan. Over the span of time, those 700 calories will not affect your weight loss plan. It's only a small drop in the bucket.
    Don't give up. This won't make a difference in the long run if you keep to the plan.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Generally I’ve used it in the past to just quit with the thought of: ‘Well...since I ate poorly I might as well order a pizza and go pick up a gallon of ice cream...’

Yes, the what the hell effect, I already slipped so I might as just give in. Quite a common way to surrender.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    It's much easier once you give yourself permission to be human and screw up every once in a while. The key is, every once in a while. Not daily, or even weekly or every couple of weeks.

On the infrequent occasions I go over significantly, whether by design or as a result of circumstances I didn't anticipate or reacted poorly to, I don't do anything to 'make up' for it. Just log it and right back on track.
  • sportychic87
    Options
    Thank you all :)
    You’re all 100% right. Not letting this slip up stop me!
  • VonTinka
    VonTinka Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This happened to me....3 weeks strict with my food but i was fine and enjoying it. I've been so good...then tonight i just pigged out on a crap ton of chocolate. I'm so sad i elt myself down however i have been so good for 3 weeks so i deserve a little 'let loose' time but i will just keep going tomorrow ^^ we are just human, keep pushing. Think ''where will i be in 6 weeks?'' if you keep dieting and brush this past you. It's fine to have a treat sometimes just not all the time that's when it becomes a problem :D
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Instead of thinking of that day in isolation, consider it in the context of a week. Get back on track, move a little more, eat a little less.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Just think of it as a maintance or treat day.....you didn't break your diet, you just to had a treat :)
    700 one day will not make any difference to the overall picture :)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    Options
    Keep tracking. Record everything, do the same tomorrow. The process is more important than the numbers.

It’s not possible to do something as long term as weight loss without slip ups.

Perfect is the enemy of the good.
  • sportychic87
    Options
    Today I just kept reminding myself not to be so hard on myself, ate my regular 1550-1600, and focused on moving more and did Pilates and bicep curls. Thank you all for cheering me through today! :)
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with that for a long time, but through the help of my coach, i've learned to work through it. It's all a mindset, one day is not going to ruin it all for you. You are human, so just enjoy it in moderation. Tomorrow is a new day, so carry on as you normally would.