Daniel fast

Options
2»

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    It's not really complicated, just difficult. You eat fruit, veggies, whole grains, nuts, seeds, legumes, some oils, water, and then some versions allow some specific processed foods like tofu and soy milk probably to deal with the protein issue.

That does make it complicated ... But, I digress.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Who's Daniel and what makes him so fast?

Nike Vaporflys.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Weirdly, the hardest part to me was not using condiments containing vinegar or sugar.

That would be hard for me. Not the sugar so much (although I do love my sriracha) but the vinegar.
    The whole point for us was to focus less on earthly pursuits and more on Christ’s sacrifice for us. For me, trying to track weight, calories and macros while fasting might have detracted from the focus on this being a spiritual discipline.

If it's something her (or his, don't know why I'm assuming) whole church is doing and he's/she's started losing successfully and doesn't want to ruin her momentum, I do think they could be done together. Having a general template of how to eat (and I agree it would be simple foods/preparations) and in advance calculating things like protein/calories so it's not too much fuss would work and would probably be a good idea if OP has not eaten anything other than omnivore before.

My own feeling is that I would avoid choosing a significant food-based sacrifice if focusing on weight loss and the choice were just mine (although I always eat more simply in Lent anyway), but if this is a group thing OP wants to participate in and wants to stick with something that is currently working for weight loss, I don't think it requires her to stop dieting or tracking or whatever. I think you can both do that (or find some other way to watch portions) AND focus on the spiritual fasting aspect. The spiritual aspect isn't the calories stuff, but eating simply, giving up luxuries you normally have, using the feeling of missing something as a reason to think about the reasons for the sacrifice and so on -- if you are someone who uses food to self comfort thinking of that cue and the food not being there as a reason to turn to God. (At least that's one reason I think fasting can be a useful spiritual discipline for people who find that kind of spirituality helpful -- clearly this forum has people with a huge variety of views and I am not preaching at anyone!)
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about the specific fast, but the blog Olive Tomato mentions Greek Orthodox fasting a lot and has lots of related recipes that you may find useful.
  • ZRunner5Lulaica
    ZRunner5Lulaica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I don't have personal experience, but a coworker of mine did a modified version of the Daniel fast with her son and their church. They were allowed a minimal amount of chicken or fish (one meal per day). They ate a lot of fruits and vegetables, which was good for them as it pushed them to try more than green beans and broccoli.

There were other things they gave up, such as all social media for the time they were fasting. I know she liked it from a spiritual standpoint.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I have the same concerns as lemurcat, but I'm even more skeptical - none of the foods on the approved list is praticularly high in protein; when maintaining weight, it should be easy enough to get enough protein, but when dieting, you need the same amount of protein, but fewer calories (you know this, that's what you're asking for help with); and if you're not used to eating a vegan diet, you have to learn a different way to plan and cook, as well as tolerating a different range of flavors and textures - this is challenging enough when you're eating enough to maintain weight - but you're having a Woody Allen dilemma (terrible food and small portions). Personally, I wouldn't do the Daniel Fast unless I had at least some experience with vegan cooking and liked the food, or were not dieting.

I agree.

OP if you're going to do this fast, I would recommend eating at maintenance for those 40 days.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    amh927 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I don’t think eating vegan will be a problem since I love veggies. I guess I just feel like I started mfp a month ago for serious. Up until now to lose weight I usually eat between 4-800 cal a day for months until I can’t susbtain it anymore. Can we say disordered eating

This past month I have focused on eating the calories mfp suggests and really focusing on what I’m eating long term etc.

And just as an FYI we aren’t doing it to follow rick warren. It’s 49 days to honor jesus’ time in the desert. Since he was resisting the temptation of the devil we will be resisting the temptation of spiritually unclean food. It’s to have some sort of increased connection in prayer and spirituality with god. There will be no modifications and no breaking fast until the end of the 40 days. It will be the focus of all sermons and small groups. I’m just nervous with my history of disordered eating that his could go the other way for me.

Thank you for all your tips and advice.

Talk to your pastor. Asking someone with a history of disordered eating to go on a very restrictive diet without any modifications is cruel and harmful. Any good pastor would not ask that of his/her congregants.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    I strongly suggest the OP take the advice and NOT do this fast. There are other ways to commune with God and just as meaningful ways.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    The Daniel Fast Food List

All fruit – fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned.
    All vegetables – fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned.
    All whole grains – amaranth, barley, brown rice, oats, quinoa, millet, and whole wheat.
    All nuts & seeds – almonds, cashews, macadamia nuts, peanuts, pecans, pine nuts, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and sunflower seeds; unsweetened almond milk. Nut butters are also included.
    All legumes – canned or dried; black beans, black eyed peas, cannellini beans, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), great northern beans, kidney beans, lentils, pinto beans, and split peas.
    All quality oils – avocado, coconut, grapeseed, olive, peanut, sesame, and walnut.
    Beverages– distilled water, filtered water, and spring water.
    Other – unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk, or soy milk; herbs, spices, salt, pepper, unsweetened coconut flakes, seasonings, Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, soy products, and tofu.

Foods to Avoid on the Daniel Fast

All meat & animal products – bacon, beef, buffalo, eggs, fish, lamb, poultry, and pork.
    All dairy products – butter, cheese, cream, milk, and yogurt.
    All sweeteners – agave nectar, artificial sweeteners, brown rice syrup, cane juice, honey, molasses, raw sugar, syrups, stevia, and sugar.
    All leavened bread & yeast – baked goods and Ezekiel bread (if it contains yeast and honey).
    All refined & processed food products – artificial flavorings, chemicals, food additives, preservatives, white flour, and white rice.
    All deep-fried foods – corn chips, French fries, and potato chips.
    All solid fats – lard, margarine, and shortening.
    Beverages – alcohol, carbonated drinks, coffee, energy drinks, herbal tea
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    amh927 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I don’t think eating vegan will be a problem since I love veggies. I guess I just feel like I started mfp a month ago for serious. Up until now to lose weight I usually eat between 4-800 cal a day for months until I can’t susbtain it anymore. Can we say disordered eating

This past month I have focused on eating the calories mfp suggests and really focusing on what I’m eating long term etc.

And just as an FYI we aren’t doing it to follow rick warren. It’s 49 days to honor jesus’ time in the desert. Since he was resisting the temptation of the devil we will be resisting the temptation of spiritually unclean food. It’s to have some sort of increased connection in prayer and spirituality with god. There will be no modifications and no breaking fast until the end of the 40 days. It will be the focus of all sermons and small groups. I’m just nervous with my history of disordered eating that his could go the other way for me.

Thank you for all your tips and advice.

I think that's a very legitimate concern. Much as the church would not expect someone with health issues to do the fast, you may want to consider speaking to the pastor about a modified or limited version so as not to trigger your disordered behaviour. It doesn't honour anyone for you to come out of the fast having fallen back into worrisome, unhealthy habits.

This and the other similar posts are really good advice. I think the history of disordered eating changes things and at least you should let your pastor know about your history and related concerns (and agree that a good pastor would respond appropriately).
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    It's not a religious fast, it's a pop culture commercial diet plan designed to sell books.

Further, the fast as described in the books is almost entirely unlike what Daniel actually ate.

Yes