Sodium Intake locked at 2300mg/day?

Options

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I ignore the sodium tracker. I see a dietitian who specializes in sports nutrition, and she has me aim for 2000 mg at a minimum, and not to worry if I get over 2300 mg. I used to hover around 1400-1400 mg, and then get horrendous spikes when I approached 2400 -- she called that amount inadequate for someone as active as I am, and that the sudden sharp spikes were largely because my body didn't know what to do with the sodium. I still have fluctuations, but they're now much less dramatic.

I'll look at the sodium if I'm trying to pinpoint a water weight spike, but otherwise it's not worth my brain space.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    your sodium intake should be at least 5000 miligrams a day easily....Im always at around 6 thousand...This is a closely guarded health and fat loss secret....especially if you exercise correctly. Be careful of what salt you do buy....Make sure its clean....I have experimented with this for years....

why should his sodium be that high? unless hes doing keto and how does that much sodium going to help fat loss? fat is lost in a deficit not an overabundance of sodium

Ignore this one...he posts the most ridiculous things on random posts. I smell a troll...

edited to delete
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    your sodium intake should be at least 5000 miligrams a day easily....Im always at around 6 thousand...This is a closely guarded health and fat loss secret....especially if you exercise correctly. Be careful of what salt you do buy....Make sure its clean....I have experimented with this for years....

why should his sodium be that high? unless hes doing keto and how does that much sodium going to help fat loss? fat is lost in a deficit not an overabundance of sodium

Ignore this one...he posts the most ridiculous things on random posts. I smell a troll...

first of all Im not a he and secondly not a troll been an active community member for 3 years so. and its not ridiculous do some research and you will see. what do I post thats ridiculous? name one thing.

@CharlieBeansmomTracey I believe the person is telling you to ignore superhighsodium man, not telling people to ignore you.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    kazgorat1 wrote: »

Did you bother to read the article that you quoted? It sets that 1500 level for people who are 51 and older, African Americans, diabetics, people with hypertension, and people with kidney disease. AKA: Groups who are more prone to hypertension or kidney issues.

It is *not* a general limit for most of the population.

b]American Heart Association:[/b]

The American Heart Association recommends no more than 2,300 milligrams (mgs) a day and an ideal limit of no more than 1,500 mg per day for most adults.

Harvard Medical:

Given that the majority of US adults are at risk of developing health problems related to salt consumption, nutrition experts at Harvard School of Public Health, the American Heart Association, and the Center for Science in the Public Interest have called for the U.S. government to lower the upper limit of daily recommended sodium intake from 2,300 milligrams to 1,500 milligrams per day (2/3 teaspoon of salt).

World Health Organization

Key facts
    High sodium consumption (>2 grams/day, equivalent to 5 g salt/day) and insufficient potassium intake (less than 3.5 grams/day) contribute to high blood pressure and increase the risk of heart disease and stroke.
    The main source of sodium in our diet is salt, although it can come from sodium glutamate, used as a condiment in many parts of the world.
    Most people consume too much salt—on average 9–12 grams per day, or around twice the recommended maximum level of intake.
    Salt intake of less than 5 grams per day for adults helps to reduce blood pressure and risk of cardiovascular disease, stroke and coronary heart attack. The principal benefit of lowering salt intake is a corresponding reduction in high blood pressure.
    WHO Member States have agreed to reduce the global population’s intake of salt by a relative 30% by 2025.
    Reducing salt intake has been identified as one of the most cost-effective measures countries can take to improve population health outcomes. Key salt reduction measures will generate an extra year of healthy life for a cost that falls below the average annual income or gross domestic product per person.
    An estimated 2.5 million deaths could be prevented each year if global salt consumption were reduced to the recommended level.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    5000mg of salt is way too much, unless maybe you're running a marathon on the desert.

Back to the question the OP asked, you might be able to change the amount if you spring for the premium package, but not sure. But are you really loosing that much salt? Just because you are loosing a pound in weight, doesn't mean you are loosing that much salt. Do you taste the salt that is left on your skin, or see the salt stains on your clothes.

I know there are tests you can do to find out how much salt you're really using, but I don't know much about them.
  • StevefromMichigan
    Options

Did you bother to read the article that you quoted? It sets that 1500 level for people who are 51 and older, African Americans, diabetics, people with hypertension, and people with kidney disease. AKA: Groups who are more prone to hypertension or kidney issues.

Actually, health professionals are pushing for the limit to be lowered to 1500 mg as the new standard.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Actually, health professionals are pushing for the limit to be lowered to 1500 mg as the new standard.

and what about those who are on a keto diet that have their sodium around 3500-5000mg? are you saying its too much for them?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    mortuseon_ wrote: »

first of all Im not a he and secondly not a troll been an active community member for 3 years so. and its not ridiculous do some research and you will see. what do I post thats ridiculous? name one thing.

@CharlieBeansmomTracey I believe the person is telling you to ignore superhighsodium man, not telling people to ignore you.

well if thats the case then I apologize for misconstruing what was said.
  • StevefromMichigan
    Options
    Well, it would appear that the medical professionals are saying that.

If you are at risk for hypertension, or have a family history of heart disease or stroke, you should be very careful how much sodium you are consuming.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

If you are at risk for hypertension, or have a family history of heart disease or stroke, you should be very careful how much sodium you are consuming.

The recommendation is based on getting people to focus more on whole foods and limit processed foods. It does not apply to those following specialized diets, have active jobs or work out. The bigger issue is one needs to also eat foods high in potassium and magnesium since they balance your electrolytes.

I aim for 4000 to 5000 mgs a day because i work out hard, hypertension doesn't run in my family and my blood pressure is 110/70.

Like with all things is about context. It's not beneficial to suggest a blanket amouny without considering all the factors.

• StevefromMichigan
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

The recommendation is based on getting people to focus more on whole foods and limit processed foods. It does not apply to those following specialized diets, have active jobs or work out. The bigger issue is one needs to also eat foods high in potassium and magnesium since they balance your electrolytes.

I aim for 4000 to 5000 mgs a day because i work out hard, hypertension doesn't run in my family and my blood pressure is 110/70.

Like with all things is about context. It's not beneficial to suggest a blanket amouny without considering all the factors.

Fair enough.

Its also fair to say that *most* people do not need need 4,000 to 5,000 mg per day.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Fair enough.

Its also fair to say that *most* people do not need need 4,000 to 5,000 mg per day.

If they are sedentary, they would not. But of all things, sodium is one of the least things i would be concerned with, unless i had a medical condition. Id put more more focus on calories, macros and getting the majority of my calories from whole foods.

In cases where people are following low carb, they need high sodium. As you reduce carbs, your reduce glycogen and water storage which leads to electrolyte loss. This is why keto flu and cramping can occur.
  • StevefromMichigan
    edited February 2018
    Options

Fair enough.

If they are sedentary, they would not. But of all things, sodium is one of the least things i would be concerned with, unless i had a medical condition. Id put more more focus on calories, macros and getting the majority of my calories from whole foods.

In cases where people are following low carb, they need high sodium. As you reduce carbs, your reduce glycogen and water storage which leads to electrolyte loss. This is why keto flu and cramping can occur.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. The negative risk associated with high levels of sodium has been researched and proven. If someone wants to ignore those risks, that's their decision. I only hope that for their sake they do not have high blood pressure and are not aware of the fact.

I have blood work every three months due to a medical condition, including metabolic profile. I try to keep my sodium intake down to 2,000-2,300, and I have been working out pretty hard the last 100 days, and the blood work has not shown any sodium deficiency.

Do I agree that *some* people may have such intense daily physical activity that they need more sodium? Sure. But for the average person spending an hour or so a day working out...No.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Fair enough.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. The negative risk associated with high levels of sodium has been researched and proven. If someone wants to ignore those risks, that's their decision. I only hope that for their sake they do not have high blood pressure and are not aware of the fact.

I have blood work every three months due to a medical condition, including metabolic profile. I try to keep my sodium intake down to 2,000-2,300, and I have been working out pretty hard the last 100 days, and the blood work has not shown any sodium deficiency.

Do I agree that *some* people may have such intense daily physical activity that they need more sodium? Sure. But for the average person spending an hour or so a day working out...No.

While you may think the relationship is cut and dry, its not. Just like with all things science, things tend to get higher fidelity. Salt is no different as noted in a recently published study.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317099.php

My wife has a medical condition that requires her to eat 6-10g of sodium a day. If she doesn't she can go into tachycardia arrest.

So while you can disagree, you have to consider the variables and what risk is present. Everything has a risk, just like driving a car, but that doesn't mean it has to be a particular focus. Is there an associated risk with high sodium, maybe, but there are much greater risk with obesity, inactivity and genetics.

Its great you have been doing well for 100 days, but i have seen great results (50 lbs down) and maintained for 6 years. My annual blood work is always great.
  • StevefromMichigan
    Options

Fair enough.

While you may think the relationship is cut and dry, its not. Just like with all things science, things tend to get higher fidelity. Salt is no different as noted in a recently published study.

My wife has a medical condition that requires her to eat 6-10g of sodium a day. If she doesn't she can go into tachycardia arrest.

So while you can disagree, you have to consider the variables and what risk is present. Everything has a risk, just like driving a car, but that doesn't mean it has to be a particular focus. Is there an associated risk with high sodium, maybe, but there are much greater risk with obesity, inactivity and genetics.

Its great you have been doing well for 100 days, but i have seen great results (50 lbs down) and maintained for 6 years. My annual blood work is always great.

I am glad for you, but to suggest on here that people need to consume 5,000 mg of sodium a day to lose weight is irresponsible. Plenty of people lose weight on low sodium diets, myself included. You do not need to consume excess sodium to lose weight...period.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Fair enough.

I am glad for you, but to suggest on here that people need to consume 5,000 mg of sodium a day to lose weight is irresponsible. Plenty of people lose weight on low sodium diets, myself included. You do not need to consume excess sodium to lose weight...period.

You should reread what i wrote. I never said one should follow a 5000 mg ... I said one should consider the variables and make a decision based on what is best for them. Your advice would kill my wife and hinder my performance. Again, there is no one universal answer. And considering the OP is in a reasonable range, they dont have anything to stress.
  • StevefromMichigan
    Options
    Yes, and your advice would put a great many people at risk for heart disease and stroke.

Never once did I tell someone at any point in this thread how much sodium they should consume. I posted guidelines from several sources, and at one point, told the OP he should discuss with his physician if he is concerned about low sodium.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey Oh my gosh!! I just realized I mistyped!!
    So very sorry, my comment was not directed at you at all!